Whats is the most expensive pen you own ?

goodguy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Snowcap

• Deirdre

• fuchsiaprincess

• voukephalas

My most expensive pen had been a 1980s MB 146. I have paid 120 Euros for it.

Unfortunately my 30 Euro MB 342 is by far the better writer .....

I'm just wondering, why is the expense so important? :unsure:

I think that it would be more interesting to know which one is the most valuable and why...

Only the tame birds have a longing.

The wild ones fly.

- Elmer Diktonius, Finnish poet (translation by sarai)

My most expensive pen is a Shaeffer Snorkel set that I bought off of ebay. After getting sniped for several other pens I was bound and determined I was going to win the next snorkel pen I bid on. Paid way to much!!! Got the silly thing and it doesn't work. A very expensive pen.

At the same time I bid on a Shaeffer set for 20% of the snorkel and won the bid. When I got the pen it turned out to be a snorkel that was mis-labeled. :roflmho:

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

The most expensive pen I own is a MB Kafka with a fine nib. I got mine when they first arrived. I hand wrote the first draft of my Master's thesis with it, which makes it the contributor to my most expensive education endeavour yet completed. I am trying to decide on what pen would be good to write a doctoral dissertation, hopefully, soon to be my current work, if I pass exams...

The most expensive pen I own is probably a Montblanc Hemingway. I bought it shortly after it was released so I have since paid more for a pen. The pen I spent the most money on is a Sterling Waterman Edson.

http://classicpensinc.com/ZJ/ZJ1New800_17.jpg

Wow, very nice. Totally my aesthetic. Dunno if I could get down with the metal section, though.

post-27278-1239535475.gif

This one, on the other hand, looks like it's ready for an undersea adventure (in a good way) ;)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1507/asia6.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3705/asia9.jpg

My most expensive pen currently in the aresonal is an Aurora Asia. Absolutely beautiful, with the optional Aurora display case. $850 including tax for the pen; the box would normally be $200+, but managed to get it for free because there was a minor defect in the box my Asia originally came in.

Edited by JJBlanche

I think that it would be more interesting to know which one is the most valuable and why...

Because my dear,

In a classless society money is the only distinctive exception, not beauty, aesthetics or knowledge. :unsure:

My $70 Pelikan 200!

That seemed like a heck of a lot of dough to spend on a pen at the time, but then again...I'm still a relative beginner to fountain pens, and probably an eternal tightwad!

Jack Benny's got nothing on me! :)

Edited by The Bantam Scribbler

My first Dani Trio and the most expensive pen in my collection....I need to stop buying pens for awhile to recover financially :crybaby:

post-29162-1240221337_thumb.jpg

My $70 Pelikan 200!

That seemed like a heck of a lot of dough to spend on a pen at the time, but then again...I'm still a relative beginner to fountain pens, and probably an eternal tightwad!

Jack Benny's got nothing on me! :)

Hey man, that's $70 well spent. It'll out-write pens costing much more.

The financial/monetary expense may be important because it (ideally) reflects what someone was willing to undertake (or forgo) to obtain an item. I defer to a quote from Atlas Shrugged that may provide a useful observation:

"Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't

exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. [...] Money is made possible only by the men who produce. "

That said, real-world examples do not always reflect this, and perceptions of value differ enough that the "most valuable" is likely to be far more interesting, as external factors unrelated to financial expense do often tell a better story. After all, there are things more important than money.

Edited by voukephalas

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

The financial/monetary expense may be important because it (ideally) reflects what someone was willing to undertake (or forgo) to obtain an item. I defer to a quote from Atlas Shrugged that may provide a useful observation:

"Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't

exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. [...] Money is made possible only by the men who produce. "

That said, real-world examples do not always reflect this, and perceptions of value differ enough that the "most valuable" is likely to be far more interesting, as external factors unrelated to financial expense do often tell a better story. After all, there are things more important than money.

Money is the thing people believe is worth their energy they put into the system. Money in itself is worth nothing. A piece of paper created out of thin air.

Money is the most important thing in the world. 99% of the people only think about 2 things. Money is one of them.

In this (part of the) world you cannot live without money. If you want to change this, you have to abolish ownership and decide that everything on earth belongs to everyone.

Edited by Trom

I'm just wondering, why is the expense so important?

Because materialistic people tend to gauge everything by cost (not worth)?

I would have though that 'which pen did you get the greatest deal on?' would have been a more interesting thread subject, as would 'which pens are you favourites regardless of cost?'

"The greatest sin is paying retail"

Woody Allen

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

So start that one rather than dissing this one?

I'm interested in this thread as it was originally intended.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

So start that one rather than dissing this one?

I'm interested in this thread as it was originally intended.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. Well, that's alright, that's also possible.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought you should know that most snorkels need to be restored before they will work. The insides are usually shot! Since you have money invested in it already, it wouldn't hurt to send it to a qualified repair person -- there are several that do them, and it isn't expensive. Might be worth it so you can actually use the pen. :)

My most expensive pen is a Shaeffer Snorkel set that I bought off of ebay. After getting sniped for several other pens I was bound and determined I was going to win the next snorkel pen I bid on. Paid way to much!!! Got the silly thing and it doesn't work. A very expensive pen.

This topic is 'What is the most expensive pen you own', simpily for us to share our collecton related to the topic. May it be a $100.00 or $10,000.00 pen, just very personal for one to spend an amount on a pen that he/she loves. Certain comments might not be suitable here. Actually, I don't mind buying a beautiful pen for $10,000.00, if I've more than enough in my bank.

As the old saying goes : A fool knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

My most valuable pen is either the Parker Duofold that I bought in 1964, my first pen. Or the Pelican that was given to me last year as a thankyou.

My most expensive pen is any pen that I give away to someone who doesnt appreciate the gift.