My latest flea market find

AndyH

post-26259-1233614284_thumb.jpg

post-26259-1233614315_thumb.jpg

So there I was, cruising through one of the local "antique malls" this weekend with my better half when she says to me, "Isn't that a beautiful wooden box honey?"

Sure enough, it was! Knurled Briarwood, nicely finished, and with joinery so good it made me wince. But when I lifted the Brass knob, what should emerge from the box but a rocker blotter! The bottom was marked "Agresti - Made in Italy" on the soft suede leather that covered it. A quick google earlier today found it for sale at Fahrneys for $115.

This is in mint condition with nary a scratch or scuff, and even with heavy, absorbent paper substituted for real blotter paper until I can lay hands on some (You want what sir? What do you use it for? REALLY???) it works beautifully and feels good in use.

Anyone know anything about Agresti? I'd love to see what else they make if it's as beautiful as this piece!

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• PAKMAN

• LedZepGirl

• AndyH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andy,

You did find something sweet, congratulations. That is an Osvaldo Agresti of Florence. They also make beautiful cabinets for jewelry and pens. They have a web site, I think.

I was fortunate to buy a pen chest of theirs on sale a few years ago, marked down to an enticing price. I am glad I was able to nab it, because it's the perfect home for my pens. Here's a picture of it.

Cheers,

Joe

Ooooh, two lucky finds!

I remember when I started looking for a rocker-blotter. I found mine in a small antiques/junkshop/nicknacks store. I swear if I wasn't looking for a rocker blotter and recognised it for what it was, I would've quite literally walked RIGHT past it. It was sitting in a display-case in the darkest corner of the shop, surrounded...almost HIDDEN by toy cars. It was bright red, covered in fake leather or something. I told the lady who ran the shop: "Can I see that? The red thing at the back?"

She took it out and unscrewed the knob and twiddled it around a bit to get it nice and loose, and gave it to me. I bought it on the spot. Now I use it every day. I don't know how I lived without a rocker-blotter before I had one!

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Nice find.

I got a green glass one with a dog on it for Christmas. But the clips that hold the blotter paper in place are missing.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Very nice rocker blotter! However you can't just leave us hanging! How much was it???

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very nice rocker blotter! However you can't just leave us hanging! How much was it???

Oh, just one portrait of Alexander Hamilton, autographed by a recent Secretary of the Treasury. :D

Unbelievable luck and great timing as I've just begun to get into a pen-buying frenzy!

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Oh, just one portrait of Alexander Hamilton, autographed by a recent Secretary of the Treasury. :D

Unbelievable luck and great timing as I've just begun to get into a pen-buying frenzy!

Wow!

Nice find.

I got a green glass one with a dog on it for Christmas. But the clips that hold the blotter paper in place are missing.

Can your rig something up when that's the case?

Wooohoo that makes it even sweeter!! Pendemonium sells blotter paper is various sizes.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Good for you! That's a beautiful box & rocker.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Nice find.

I think you can find the clips at Pendemonium. At least they used to have them, but I have not looked to see if they still do.

Harry Leopold

“Prints of Darkness”

Nice find.

I think you can find the clips at Pendemonium. At least they used to have them, but I have not looked to see if they still do.

Okay, thanks. I'll go check that out. I've seen the clips before on other blotters and was thinking that maybe I could just make some out of a wire coat hanger.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<