Private Reserve Sonic Blue: an Uncharacteristic PR Ink

QM2

PRIVATE RESERVE SONIC BLUE

Review with Comparisons

electronic text follows the handwritten review

http://queenmargot.com/pr_sonicblue1.jpg

http://queenmargot.com/pr_sonicblue2.jpg

I had expected Private Reserve Sonic Blue to be an unusual colour, but in fact it is a classic blue-black. Sonic Blue flows

remarkably well, and I would rate it as a 5/10 on the wetness scale: Wetter than Pelikan Blue-Black, but drier than

Waterman Blue-Black.

Sonic Blue dries almost instantly and does not smear. It is somewhat water-resistant.

The most notable thing about this colour, is that it is considerably less saturated, and is more subdued, than any other

Private Reserve ink I have owned or tried. This conservative colour is uncharacteristic of the usual PR colour palette.

The handwritten review was written with a fine-nibbed Waterman Carene on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper. Here is a

closeup of the writing:

http://queenmargot.com/pr_sonicblue3.jpg

And here is a comparison between Private Reserve Sonic Blue and three popular blue-black inks: Pelikan Blue-Black,

Waterman Blue-Black, and Montblanc Blue-Black (cartridge).

http://queenmargot.com/blueblacks_comp.jpg

Hope this is useful,

QM2

Edited by QM2

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• PenTieRun

• bphollin

• MDI

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the 4 colours I posted, Private Reserve Sonic Blue is the ink I see myself using more often. The Waterman is too wet for most of my pens, the Pelikan too dry (and the colour is a bit plane-Jane), and the Montblanc only comes in cartridge in the non-iron-gall version. That leaves PR Sonic Blue.

Of course I am talking specifically about classic blue-blacks here. My personal preference is for green-tinted blue-blacks, such as Noodler's Legal Lapis and Private Reserve Ebony Blue.

Nice review! I have never owned a bottle of Sonic Blue, and I would not have thought to group it with blue black inks. After seeing your review, I have to agree that it is indeed a blue black.

I'm surprised to hear that it dries quickly. I've owned 10-12 Private Reserve inks over the years, and every single one of them has dried too slowly for me, a left-handed over-writer, to use.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Nice review! I have never owned a bottle of Sonic Blue, and I would not have thought to group it with blue black inks. After seeing your review, I have to agree that it is indeed a blue black.

I'm surprised to hear that it dries quickly. I've owned 10-12 Private Reserve inks over the years, and every single one of them has dried too slowly for me, a left-handed over-writer, to use.

Thanks, CharlieB. That's right -- both in drying time and saturation, this ink differs greatly from other PR inks I have experienced. I have about 12 other PR inks myself, including two other blues (Midnight Blues and Ebony Blue), and Sonic Blue behaves nothing like them.

Thanks for the review QM2. Sonic blue was one of the first bottles of ink I ever bought. I initially wasn't crazy about it, but in the last few weeks I've rediscovered it, and now really love it. Not sure why. Either it's aged well or I have. It forms a nice brighter blue-black in comparison to Montblanc and Sheaffer blue-black. The SB has been put in a new light; perhaps that's where the change lies.

Thanks for the great review, QM2! :)

I like my Sonic Blue ink, but I have to admit I was a little surprised at how subdued a colour it was; when I think of "Sonic", I think of something *loud*---ie. a bright ink... :unsure:

How well does Sonic Blue perform on bad paper?

What do you consider "bad paper"? So far, it has been fine on Moleskine, printer paper, and on paper from a cheap random notebook that I have lying around for testing.

"Moleskine, printer paper, and on paper from a cheap random notebook that I have lying around for testing"

"composition notebooks"

Those are exactly what I had in mind. ;)

More bad paper:

newsprint, homework and notebook paper for students in the USA, writing pads

Nice review and your scan looks true to what I've seen of this ink.

I only have it in cartridges, and though I really like the colour, this is a very bleedy ink for me, bleeding through my Quo Vadis Habana - granted, this is one of the thin versions - but other inks did not bleed the same way. However, it was in a very wet, medium nibbed pen. Your review encourages me to try it in something else. I do love the colour.

Nice review and your scan looks true to what I've seen of this ink.

I only have it in cartridges, and though I really like the colour, this is a very bleedy ink for me, bleeding through my Quo Vadis Habana - granted, this is one of the thin versions - but other inks did not bleed the same way. However, it was in a very wet, medium nibbed pen. Your review encourages me to try it in something else. I do love the colour.

I have definitely not seen any bleed-through or feathering.

If you like the colour, I encourage you to try the ink in a different pen.

Edited by QM2

A nice ink by itself, it also plays well with others --- can be mixed with others for interesting toned down greens, blues, and burgundy/violets.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

So, I guess I am lucky! The Sonic Blue is my only BB and my only PR, and judging from your considerations and your comparison scan, it was a good choice. The Pelikan looks too dark and the Waterman too blue: is that right?

Thanks for the review, the comparison scan makes it excellent!

Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

So, I guess I am lucky! The Sonic Blue is my only BB and my only PR, and judging from your considerations and your comparison scan, it was a good choice. The Pelikan looks too dark and the Waterman too blue: is that right?

For me, the Pelikan Blue-Black is not so much too dark (it is lighter than MB blue-black), as too un-interesting. It is sort of a middle-of-the-road blue black that I associate with school assignments and accounting work. And I agree that the Waterman is too light to be called a blue-black.

For me, the Pelikan Blue-Black is not so much too dark (it is lighter than MB blue-black), as too un-interesting. It is sort of a middle-of-the-road blue black that I associate with school assignments and accounting work. And I agree that the Waterman is too light to be called a blue-black.

The first time I inked a pen with Waterman BB, I thought I'd made a mistake and inked it with blue. I now just think of it as a blue - it doesn't really deserve the title of BB in my opinion.

Sonic Blue is my fav BB!

Edited by fuchsiaprincess
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

The first time I inked a pen with Waterman BB, I thought I'd made a mistake and inked it with blue. I now just think of it as a blue - it doesn't really deserve the title of BB in my opinion.

Yes, Waterman BB is pretty light for a blue-black. But if you look at the regular Waterman blues (Florida and South Seas), those are even lighter, so it makes sense. I actually like the colour of Waterman BB and I know that a lot of professional repairpersons swear by this ink; I just wish it weren't so wet.