Italic handwriting example

caliken

This was written with a Pelikan M200 nib modified to a .7 cursive italic.

I have recently also acquired two other nibs - a .9 cursive italic and a xxxf with added full flex, all from Richard Binder.

There is no affiliation - just a very satisfied customer.

If you are seriously interested in handwriting, I can thoroughly recommend the experience of writing with a nib re-worked by a nibmeister.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Tojudgetherealworth_edited-1.jpg

This little example is 5 1/4" wide.

Edited by caliken

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• wednesday_mac

• antoniosz

• JRodriguez

Beautiful writing as always, Caliken! Richard Binder truly is a genius: for the last few months I've been using a 0.5 mm extra-fine sharpened italic [!] nib that had the benefit of his ministrations and writing with it is simply a pleasure. Not only is he a genius at grinding nibs, he has faerie slaves; see the cartoon at the bottom of this page for the amazing details.

Edited by Italicist

Binder nibs are great, just don't be too disappointed when you find that your writing doesn't look like Calikens. He is our resident Calligraphy/ italic monk with the most uniform and beautiful hand writing you have ever seen. I think he could take a stick and sharpen it and dip it in old coffee and still make a masterpiece!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Binder nibs are great, just don't be too disappointed when you find that your writing doesn't look like Calikens. He is our resident Calligraphy/ italic monk with the most uniform and beautiful hand writing you have ever seen. I think he could take a stick and sharpen it and dip it in old coffee and still make a masterpiece!

Thank you all for your comments and interest.

Perry : Your post actually made me laugh out loud - and that doesn't happen very often!

Perhaps I should mention that my previous 'monk' avatar was just a joke. I've been happily married for 44 years - I may be many things, but a monk isn't one of them!!

Edited by caliken

Beautiful! I could stare and stare. I've downloaded your .jpg to use as wallpaper. Staring now.

Edited by wednesday_mac

Is there life before death?

I would love to see a video with you writing :) Pretty please?

antoniosz :

I'm afraid that there would be nothing unusual, or even particularly interesting about watching a video of my handwriting. My hand position is typically ordinary as I work my pedestrian way across the page.

I can't match your enviable fluency or pace as demonstrated in your flex-nibbed videos, and the instructional videos by Joe Vitolo and colleagues on the IAMPETH site, show drawn Copperplate script and Spencerian lettering at its very best.

I suppose in terms of speed, my lettering as shown above, is somewhere between your work and that of Dr Vitolo. It's handwriting, but written at a moderate pace - too slow for note-taking, for example.

In short, there is nothing I do, which hasn't been more than adequately covered elsewhere on video by yourself and others.

On top of that, it's taken me years to be sufficiently computer-literate just to be able to participate in this Forum, and at my age, anything further would probably be 'a bridge too far'!

However, I'm only human, and it gives me great pleasure to receive compliments on my writing from yourself and others whose work and knowledge I respect. Appreciation from those who know what they're talking about, means so much more than compliments, however well meant, from uninformed clients.

As I approach my first year as a member of FPN I would like to reiterate my pleasure at being here and I am well aware of the shot-in-the-arm it has given me in the never-ending quest for improvement. The whole world of fountain pens has opened up to me. I've learned a great deal from this site, and I derive a lot of pleasure from my small (but growing) collection.

caliken

Edited by caliken