A nice message for St Valentine's Day

caliken

The black text was written with a Waterman's 92 fountain pen with a very flexible nib.

The red text was written in diluted goauche with a Gillott 303 nib in an oblique holder.

The large 'T' was written and drawn in the same colour, using a double stroke technique for the heavy swells using the same Gillott 303 nib.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Timeistooslow_edited-4.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• lefty928

• Italicist

• ethernautrix

Hello Caliken,

This is really beautifully written.

My only quibble is with the last line: I'd say that for those who love time is fragile - it is their wish that it was eternal. At least that is how I perceive time when I get overwhelmed by feelings of love.

But damn I wish I had as stable hand as you have!

Best wishes,

Zed

Hello Caliken,

This is really beautifully written.

My only quibble is with the last line: I'd say that for those who love time is fragile - it is their wish that it was eternal. At least that is how I perceive time when I get overwhelmed by feelings of love.

But damn I wish I had as stable hand as you have!

Best wishes,

Zed

The author of the quotation, Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933) was a poet, educator, and Presbyterian clergyman; no doubt, he believed that participation in love truly is participation in eternity and the eternal when viewed from a Christian context.

Edited by peapicker

--

John

As always, beautiful handwriting.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

I love the initial cap in red and the swashy descender on the y -- such an elegant yet restrained layout and the choices you made add to the meaning of the text and are an education to an amateur like me. Thanks for sharing!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

DOUBLE strokes on the T! That's really amazingly well done, Caliken -- I can't see a trace of a slip anywhere to indicate where the borders might lie. The shade of red is beautiful, too: deep and powerful yet subtly restrained.

-CG

DOUBLE strokes on the T! That's really amazingly well done, Caliken -- I can't see a trace of a slip anywhere to indicate where the borders might lie. The shade of red is beautiful, too: deep and powerful yet subtly restrained.

-CG

Thank you all for your kind comments and acute observations.

With the heavy strokes, I find that if I apply the second level of colour straight away, the wet paint 'puddles' together and leaves no mark when dry.

When I want real depth of colour, I use gouache. Nothing else comes close for intensity and covering power.

caliken

Edited by caliken