Italian Resin Pens

EventHorizon

While window shopping this weekend on isellpens.com, I fell in love with the Laban pens purely for their looks plus the cost is not horrible The photo attached is going for $69 plus shipping. Whats with the Italian resin though? Why is it special or atleast advertised that way?.

FYI - E-Bay has them also but at an elevated cost Laban

Edited by EventHorizon

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EventHorizon

• jonro

• meanwhile

• ViolinWriter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's marketing speak. Although not as inspired as MB's "precious resin" - I hope they gave the marketing droid who thought of that one equity.

- Jonathan

I sent Laban an e-mail asking what "Italian Resin" is and why it's "unique". Let's see what they come back with. I agree it's probably an advertising thing.

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

Well, at least they saw my e-mail:

Dear Jerry,

Please contact with this customer accordingly.

Regards

John

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

It's a pretty pen. I'll be interested to find out if Italian resin is marketing speak for acrylic or an actual resin.

Laban pens were been offered on a UK site for £50.00 each

post-4-1175730920_thumb.jpg

Writing with Light

Regards Kenneth-West Riding-UK

QUOTE (kenneth cooke @ Apr 4 2007, 06:55 PM)
Laban pens were been offered on a UK site for £50.00 each

If I'm figuring correctly, that's about $98.00 blink.gif blink.gif

I would like to mention that there were some on isellpens that reached this price but they were the 14 or 18 k gold nibs. You could pick the nib you wanted.

Still no info from Laban yet.

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

QUOTE (jonro @ Apr 4 2007, 11:53 AM)
It's a pretty pen. I'll be interested to find out if Italian resin is marketing speak for acrylic or an actual resin.

The fact that I haven't gotten an answer from them yet means:

a- They don't know

b- It's advertising/marketing speak

c- They are formulating a good answer.

Edited by EventHorizon

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

I ahve a Laban Pumpkinseed Mento.Beautiful pen.Not as good a writer but for the price,decent.

JD

can I ask- why Italian resin pens when companies like Visconti produce beautiful celluloid pens that are far more durable?

post-4-1175819680_thumb.gif

Writing with Light

Regards Kenneth-West Riding-UK

QUOTE (Jeff E @ Apr 6 2007, 01:18 AM)
Resin=Plastic. eureka.gif

That's the question. There is what is called plastic resin, but plastic is not resin, at least when it comes to fountain pens. Fountain pen resin should be some type of tree sap (i.e., urushi is a resin). Unfortunately, the terms are often used interchangeably, so you may not know what you are buying. What started this particular thread was the question of whether Laban's "Italian resin" is resin, plastic or perhaps a nice mix of garlic-infused olive oil wink.gif

QUOTE (jonro @ Apr 6 2007, 02:22 AM)

That's the question. There is what is called plastic resin, but plastic is not resin, at least when it comes to fountain pens. Fountain pen resin should be some type of tree sap (i.e., urushi is a resin). Unfortunately, the terms are often used interchangeably, so you may not know what you are buying. What started this particular thread was the question of whether Laban's "Italian resin" is resin, plastic or perhaps a nice mix of garlic-infused olive oil wink.gif

Wouldn't the "mix" have to include marinera sauce to give that beautiful tomato-y red to the plastic resin? tongue.gif

Elizabeth

Spring and love arrived on a bird's sweet song. "How does that little box sound like birds and laughter?" I asked the gypsy violinist. He leaned back, pointing to his violin. "Look inside, you'll see the birdies sing to me" soft laughter in his voice. "I hear them, I can almost see them!", I shouted as his bow danced on the strings. "Ah yes" he said, "your heart is a violin." Shony Alex Braun

As it began for Shony, it began for me. My heart -- My violin

Wouldn't the "mix" have to include marinera sauce to give that beautiful tomato-y red to the plastic resin? tongue.gif

Elizabeth

Spring and love arrived on a bird's sweet song. "How does that little box sound like birds and laughter?" I asked the gypsy violinist. He leaned back, pointing to his violin. "Look inside, you'll see the birdies sing to me" soft laughter in his voice. "I hear them, I can almost see them!", I shouted as his bow danced on the strings. "Ah yes" he said, "your heart is a violin." Shony Alex Braun

As it began for Shony, it began for me. My heart -- My violin

QUOTE (ViolinWriter @ Apr 6 2007, 12:40 PM)

Elizabeth,

You are exactly right. Marinara sauce is the secret ingredient to producing beautiful yet delicious Italian resins.

Jon

My how we digress or do we go off on a tangent?

handlebar - I saw the pumpkin seed and liked it also. To be exact, I liked the:

Coal Flake

Celebration Shell

Tiger Pearl

Tortoise Shell

Ice Craked

Still nothing from Laban on the uniqueness of "Italian Resin". Which is still the main question.

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

I have had the Laban toroise for about a year now- I like the nib, not love it- there is something about that two-tone steel nib that is unsettling- something that is trying to be one thing while genetically another- on the other hand, the weight, girth- all the specs are genuinely fine- but one does not buy a Laban mento as a "luxury" pen, but rather as a journeyman's pen- as as such, I think it is an excellent investment.

And I realize the FPN is no place for a momento mori, but I must say that whatever the constitution of a fountain pen body- it will outlast the majority of us on this forum. So, aside from the ebonite body's generating a "warmth," most of the other surfaces will have little change from one owner/use to the next. Perhaps the fp, in addition to being a recorder of the past, present, future, may also contain within itself the history and future of its users.

Tony

Well, it's April 13th and this original post started April 2nd. Laban has not given me any answers other than one person telling another to get me an answer via e-mail so I will now agree 100% with everybody that said it, it's market speak dry.gif

I'll still buy one hopefully soon as I can't resist the colors....FP Bling wink.gif

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr