need advice about selling used 144

indigirl

Hello Montblanc connoisseurs,

In 1996, not knowing the first thing about fountain pens, let alone vintage fountain pens, I sent my father's old (early 60s) Montblanc off to the company with a request for repair. They said it was too old, they had no parts & could not repair it. After some wrangling about the meaning of "lifetime warranty", they persuaded me to take a nearly-new 144 in trade. As I recall, this was a pen that had been used for photo shoots & so could no longer be sold as brand new.

You can imagine my distress when the new pen arrived! It was nothing like my father's old pen, which I had loved. Someone told me it was just a matter of writing with the new pen as much as possible so that it would "wear in" & become the wonderful thing it was supposed to be. Alas, I tried, but I have never managed to like this pen. I think my personality is predisposed toward a vintage flexible nib (which I have since acquired in the form of an Eversharp Skyline).

Here is the question: I am thinking that I should sell the 144 to somebody who can appreciate it, & perhaps then I could use the funds to buy something else that I would love (maybe even an old early 60s Montblanc like my father's). But I don't know anything about Montblancs to figure out how much I should ask for it. Searching on this board it seems that 144s in good condition go for around $150. Mine is not perfect; it has some *very* light scuffing especially on the cap -- I didn't notice it until I looked for flaws, but somebody looking to buy it might consider it. Or maybe I just don't know how to polish it?! The (fine) nib has a little dark mark on it, which I don't know how to clean off or how to tell if it can be cleaned off. The gold ring just by the nib has a couple of tiny rough spots on its edge; I don't know if those were always there or what. Other than that, it works, it looks nice & shiny, but I have never seen another one to compare it to & I can't call myself knowing much about fountain pens in general.

How to proceed? I took some photos but don't know if you can tell anything from them (don't mind the bathroom counter grout lines :embarrassed_smile: .... Thanks in advance for all advice!

post-33145-1249688524_thumb.jpg

post-33145-1249688494_thumb.jpg

post-33145-1249688554_thumb.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• niksch

• indigirl

• Blade Runner

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're off to a good start!

Pictures and disclosures are important information for buyers; you seem to have provided necessaries Your price is in line. List this in Pens for Sale and wait for developments

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

I think you're off to a good start!

Pictures and disclosures are important information for buyers; you seem to have provided necessaries Your price is in line. List this in Pens for Sale and wait for developments

I think $150 is a fair price. Pictures help

Matt

You could get some fountain pen polish from The Fountain Pen Hospital to shine things up. They told me the polish could be used on nibs as well so that might take the black mark off the nib. Good pictures help in selling.

And to second what Matt said, $150 is a good place to start. That seems to be about the going rate for secondhand 144s.

In 1996, not knowing the first thing about fountain pens, let alone vintage fountain pens, I sent my father's old (early 60s) Montblanc off to the company with a request for repair. They said it was too old, they had no parts & could not repair it.

Do you remember what model that pen was or what it looked like?

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

In 1996, not knowing the first thing about fountain pens, let alone vintage fountain pens, I sent my father's old (early 60s) Montblanc off to the company with a request for repair. They said it was too old, they had no parts & could not repair it.

Do you remember what model that pen was or what it looked like?

I don't know the model, but here's what I remember. Of course it was over 10 years ago but I'll try to describe it: it was black w/ a gold cap that was kind of striated -- I don't know if that's the right word, the closest description I can come up w/ is that it reminds me of corduroy :rolleyes: ... the ends were not the bullet-shaped ends like my 144 but squared off, so the top part where the little white snowcap (I assume that's what it's supposed to be?) was, I think, flat or nearly flat (like I said, it was a long time ago). The main thing I remember is there was a little faceted blue plastic ring where the cap met the rest of the body. That was the first thing that broke, or maybe even the only thing that broke, & without it the pen wouldn't stay together right. The nib was gold & springy & wonderful &... &... :crybaby:

Any idea what it might have been?

I don't know the model, but here's what I remember. Of course it was over 10 years ago but I'll try to describe it: it was black w/ a gold cap that was kind of striated -- I don't know if that's the right word, the closest description I can come up w/ is that it reminds me of corduroy :rolleyes: ... the ends were not the bullet-shaped ends like my 144 but squared off, so the top part where the little white snowcap (I assume that's what it's supposed to be?) was, I think, flat or nearly flat (like I said, it was a long time ago). The main thing I remember is there was a little faceted blue plastic ring where the cap met the rest of the body. That was the first thing that broke, or maybe even the only thing that broke, & without it the pen wouldn't stay together right. The nib was gold & springy & wonderful &... &... :crybaby:

Yep, an MB 74. This photo is of a 72, but did it look something like this? http://www.fountainpen.de/sini-72-60.htm Other folks here have another suggestion?

For everyone else, I'm sorry but this appears to be another crime of the MB official repair shop. Replace a vintage pen with a modern example.

Thank a Veteran.

Yep, an MB 74. This photo is of a 72, but did it look something like this? http://www.fountainpen.de/sini-72-60.htm Other folks here have another suggestion?

For everyone else, I'm sorry but this appears to be another crime of the MB official repair shop. Replace a vintage pen with a modern example.

Sorry they replaced your pen indigirl... :crybaby: It must really stink.

I'm afraid to send my pens to MB for service now... I may not get them back in whole form! I just learned to accept that scratches are part of the character of my pens now... now I don't want the scratches to go away. :blink:

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

Eric,

This isn't limited to MB. Other brands have replaced my broken/defective/corroded out of production pens with new models.

This isn't limited to MB. Other brands have replaced my broken/defective/corroded out of production pens with new models.

You are probably right, but it still peesses (sp) me off. Maybe it cannot be helped...surely the volume is tremendous, but that's why I want to be a "front man" of the MB repair system and channel people to appropriate places based on the vintage-ness of their pen. Pipe dream I know, but perhaps some stories like this could be avoided.

Now how do I go about getting that job???

Yeah, I'm an ol softy like that...

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

Now if my car dealership would do this sort of thing, I'd sing praises from the highest roofs! Or, more likely, balconies. Roofs scare me.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

Now if my car dealership would do this sort of thing, I'd sing praises from the highest roofs! Or, more likely, balconies. Roofs scare me.

We need a cash for clunkers program for fountain pens. :P

You are probably right, but it still peesses (sp) me off. Maybe it cannot be helped...surely the volume is tremendous, but that's why I want to be a "front man" of the MB repair system and channel people to appropriate places based on the vintage-ness of their pen. Pipe dream I know, but perhaps some stories like this could be avoided.

Now how do I go about getting that job???

Yeah, I'm an ol softy like that...

MB's in a bit of an unusual situation, because some of their vintage pens like the 146 and 149 can be repaired with new parts unlike many brands whose old & new pens bear no such connection. I agree, most of us here would like to preserve vintage pens, but perhaps many (most? ) of pen users outside of pen forums would be happy just to have a functional pen. Since modern companies aren't in the business of vintage restoration, I agree, we should direct folks to the restoration experts.

Maybe I'm hijacking the thread, but what do you think MB does with the vintages pens that get sent in to them? Maybe all the repair guys have awesome vintage MB collections. Or maybe some landfill nearby has the greatest vintage MB collection ever. Lets go dumpster diving!!

Maybe I'm hijacking the thread, but what do you think MB does with the vintages pens that get sent in to them? Maybe all the repair guys have awesome vintage MB collections. Or maybe some landfill nearby has the greatest vintage MB collection ever. Lets go dumpster diving!!

I think they are sold to highly connected third party repairmen or repairwomen.

Thank a Veteran.

MB's in a bit of an unusual situation, because some of their vintage pens like the 146 and 149 can be repaired with new parts unlike many brands whose old & new pens bear no such connection.

I hear what you are saying with regard to other brands of pens. But speaking of modern (post 1968) 146 and 149 repairs, I can tell you that while on the outside they appear similar or the same, on the inside there are just enough engineering changes to make a guy like me wonder why. These changes have occurred incrementally on both 146 and 149 models, and that's why we have so many "date my pen" threads.

edited to add: yet again I have hijacked a thread.

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

Yes, looks very close! Of course blue ring instead of yellow, & I also don't remember the pen being quite so bulbous in shape. Seems to me it was a little more svelte. Also I don't remember the nib looking like that. I think it looked more... um, normal? That's a highly technical term, I know :headsmack:

Anyway, so amazing that you could figure it out like that! How much do those cost these days? Are they easy to come by?

& yeah, it drives me insane that they wouldn't send me to someone who could repair it! If I were Queen....

I sold my used 144 for approx $200. It was well kept, didn't have any major scratches, dents or dings, but definitely used, and sold described as "used in very good condition". Since your pen are almost unused I think the asking price should be higher than $150 - maybe $190-200 - don't sell it too cheap.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

If it had the blue window it was likely a 121 with the rolled gold cap instead of the 74 or 72.

Hello Montblanc connoisseurs,

In 1996, not knowing the first thing about fountain pens, let alone vintage fountain pens, I sent my father's old (early 60s) Montblanc off to the company with a request for repair. They said it was too old, they had no parts & could not repair it. After some wrangling about the meaning of "lifetime warranty", they persuaded me to take a nearly-new 144 in trade. As I recall, this was a pen that had been used for photo shoots & so could no longer be sold as brand new.

You can imagine my distress when the new pen arrived! It was nothing like my father's old pen, which I had loved. Someone told me it was just a matter of writing with the new pen as much as possible so that it would "wear in" & become the wonderful thing it was supposed to be. Alas, I tried, but I have never managed to like this pen. I think my personality is predisposed toward a vintage flexible nib (which I have since acquired in the form of an Eversharp Skyline).

Here is the question: I am thinking that I should sell the 144 to somebody who can appreciate it, & perhaps then I could use the funds to buy something else that I would love (maybe even an old early 60s Montblanc like my father's). But I don't know anything about Montblancs to figure out how much I should ask for it. Searching on this board it seems that 144s in good condition go for around $150. Mine is not perfect; it has some *very* light scuffing especially on the cap -- I didn't notice it until I looked for flaws, but somebody looking to buy it might consider it. Or maybe I just don't know how to polish it?! The (fine) nib has a little dark mark on it, which I don't know how to clean off or how to tell if it can be cleaned off. The gold ring just by the nib has a couple of tiny rough spots on its edge; I don't know if those were always there or what. Other than that, it works, it looks nice & shiny, but I have never seen another one to compare it to & I can't call myself knowing much about fountain pens in general.

How to proceed? I took some photos but don't know if you can tell anything from them (don't mind the bathroom counter grout lines :embarrassed_smile: .... Thanks in advance for all advice!

I just bought one off ebay brand new for $162.50...if i had been a day more patient, I would have sent you a PM!!! Sorry :(