Charlie Chaplin

voukephalas

After this pen, I believe there can be no other one so desirable for my collection. I had previously requested this beauty be shipped to a local Montblanc boutique, and bought it while attending a function there yesterday night.

Here is a post on the event: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...mp;#entry922817

The Chaplin is even more beautiful in person than the photos suggest, and a fellow attendee liked it so much he asked to see it twice and show his family. One of his relatives told me that it meant more to hear about the pen from the owner than the sales associates, so I was chuffed. The same gentleman suggested I write an ode to Charlie Chaplin, or perhaps some poetry. :)

The regional manager surprised guests (and store employees) with the news that any purchase made that night would be an extra 10% discount, and this combined with a special tax-free offer was enough to convince me to buy. It was an uncommon offer on such a rare limited edition, as the boutiques do not generally offer any discounts on their limited fountain pens.

My opinion is that it was the most beautiful pen in the store that evening, even considering the Adams, Jefferson, and Mozart 250, among other rare editions. It is, in fact, possibly the most beautiful fountain pen (to me).

Originally launched in November of 2007, it is a white gold pen, of a skeleton design, and was originally intended for sale exclusively in the UK market. The construction is also titanium, and the various gears are representative of Charlie Chaplin's film "Modern Times". The clip is his well-known cane, and the cap culminates in a design reminiscent of Chaplin's iconic bowler hat. Several diamonds are tastefully set on both the barrel and cap, and the 18kt gold nib is specially designed, platinum plated. The star is mother of pearl and very large. In fact, the whole pen is of formidable size and positively dwarfs the Boheme I have when they are placed next to each other. I will post a photo for comparison when time permits. If only my writing could adequately express my delight, but perhaps the photos will do it justice.

This one was the second-to-last available worldwide, so if you want one of your own you had better move quickly, as there is now only one Charlie Chaplin for sale through the Montblanc boutiques.

Now, any suggestions on what to write with it first? I do hope it writes as exquisitely as its appearance would suggest.

post-23490-1233987254_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1233987267_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1233987289_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1233987303_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1233987317_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1233987330_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1233987341_thumb.jpg

Edited by voukephalas

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voukephalas

• Darius

• yachtsilverswan

• Blade Runner

Wow...words cannot express how insanely jealous I am of you for having this pen. Congratulations on being one of the few pen lovers able to attain your "holy grail". :puddle: :notworthy1: :puddle: :notworthy1:

You're pictures are absolutely wonderful. I've never seen pictures that show the pen in all its glory as yours.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful pen. And great shots too. Thanks to share this with us.

I am additionally very happy that this pen came to somebody that want actually write with it. I don't know how many out of the 88 will see any ink!

I'd suggest to use some classic black for it. Possibly Montblanc.

Congratulations!

Best,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

You actually got one! :notworthy1:

WOW, the photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing your joy.

I hope you will provide updates.

Congratulations on an incredible pen,

Jeen

P.S. I always thought of the magical black widow as my grail pen, and still love it, but

the idea of using gears to skeletonize a pen is a wonderful strike of creativity.

Edited by jeen

You actually got one! :notworthy1:

WOW, the photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing your joy.

I hope you will provide updates.

Congratulations on an incredible pen,

Jeen

P.S. I always thought of the magical black widow as my grail pen, and still love it, but

the idea of using gears to skeletonize a pen is a wonderful strike of creativity.

Then you would like Caran d'Ache's 10:10 pen. It's good looking pen. Its cap is not skeletonised though.

Beautiful. I'm glad you use your pens. I can't wait to see how it writes! :puddle:

I agree! Its fantastic that you use them! Congrats! This pen is amazing, I am curious to see if its comfortable to use.

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Beautiful. I'm glad you use your pens. I can't wait to see how it writes! :puddle:

I agree! Its fantastic that you use them! Congrats! This pen is amazing, I am curious to see if its comfortable to use.

I've always thought it a waste not to use the pens I bought, but for a pen like this, I think I would derive a huge amount of enjoyment just looking at it.

That's like getting your ticket punched for the space shuttle, then never getting a ride! Look AND love the use. :thumbup:

With the exception of a vintage 139, MBs do nothing for me. I have never been able to buy into their marketing techniques.

I have to state, that is a very grand and beautiful piece. I have come back several times to view your pictures.

Thank you.

Wow... This really is a Masterpiece! I can't take my eyes off of the beautiful pictures and magnificent details Congratulations. Wish I could see it in real. Or better, had the joy of owning one.

I had never even heard of this pen.

Montblanc too often produces weak thematically diluted designs to honor strong colorful personalities. Not here. This is a strong thematic design without being gauty. Bravo.

For those who have not seen Chaplin's materpiece vision of future industry, here is the movie "Modern Times" in its entirety:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=893627879073510155

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

This is a pen even an industrial engineer could like.

I get the gears, I get the cane clip...I don't understand the odd shape of the turning knob. Help me out here?!?!

Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

a very nice and symbolic pen, how are you going to use it?

would it just stay in the box or in a display cabinet?

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

You're pictures are absolutely wonderful. I've never seen pictures that show the pen in all its glory as yours.

Thank you kindly for the compliments. Knowing your appreciation for the Montblanc limited editions and extensive knowledge of the brand, it is much appreciated to read such praise.

Edited by voukephalas

I considered responding individually to each person who commented on my post, but perhaps responding in a single post will be more appropriate, so as to leave no one out. If I do not mention you by name, I assure you that I read and re-read every reply and appreciate them all.

So to all who have written, thank you kindly for the remarks and I do look forward to enjoying writing with the Chaplin. I would like to consider carefully the first words I write with it, but I will post updates as one person requested. The heft and gears are impressive and I do hope that neither compromises writing comfort. For now, I am merely enjoying viewing it and feeling the fine details. As I stated in my first post, feel free to offer suggestions on its first-time use.

Brettman, I appreciate your post and am glad that my photos enticed you to come back several times. I do intend to post a few more. If anyone would like to view any particular angle or feature, by all means let me know and I will try to oblige.

Yachtsilverswan, I am surprised that you had not heard of this pen, especially since you seem quite interested in the more uncommon Montblanc limited editions. Perhaps because the pen was not intended for the US market information is available only upon request. If you have any questions, by all means feel free to ask.

Archie001, I have no display cabinet in which to place it, so it will be relegated to the original box when not in use. Eventually I would like to have a display cabinet built, but for such a small collection it may be unwarranted, the incredible expense of the Chaplin notwithstanding. I am not sure how I will use the pen yet, but the first-time use I will consider carefully.

Eric, I am afraid that I too fail to see a specific symbolism which would have influenced the shape of the turning knob.

I attached another photo showing the whole of my collection (well, I do have one or two of the much-maligned Sceniums, but they seem to have gone missing) so as to show the differences in size. The Chaplin actually appears quite larger than the others to my naked eye. Perhaps it is because, as a gold pen, its mass is multiple times that of any of the others. My other hobby is photography and I honestly cringe a little at the quality of this photo, but it was a quick snap designed for illustrative purposes only, as opposed to artistic expression.

From left to right they are:

The Charlie Chaplin, limited to 88

Boheme Je T'aime, sterling silver

Annual Edition 2004, Mythology, Europa and the Bull

Annual Edition 2003, Mythology, Leda and the Swan

Starwalker in precious resin

I have several (better) photos of the Annual Editions and plan to dedicate a post exclusively for them when I get a chance. I hardly ever see the Annual Editions mentioned on FPN and feel that they are under-appreciated. The hand-painted porcelain and limitation to 300 pieces makes them both aesthetically pleasing and uncommon, but perhaps the otherwise unremarkable design limits their appeal.

A note on pricing and intended use: I would like to include the Charlie Chaplin in my rotation as a daily writer, but it does not fit in my Montblanc pen pouch -see photo for illustration of the gears not quite fitting into the leather "holster." For obvious reasons, I would rather not force it. Also, the price induces a marked unwillingness to carry the pen for casual use.

For those who are curious, European pricing is Euro 20800 and US MSRP is $29,700 -though, as previously stated, I obtained mine at a 10% discount and paid no sales tax.

post-23490-1234153980_thumb.jpg

post-23490-1234156572_thumb.jpg

Edited by voukephalas