Stipula Italic Nibs

menick

A question for stub fans and\or stipula fans.

Their italic nibs, how do they rate? how do you like them? small or excellent line variation?

Preferences... the .9 or 1.1?

If it can help, looking for suprema nuda...

Thanks!

nick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• Deirdre

• menick

• FrankB

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered a Stipula Vedo with 1.1i from Writingdesk. As I haven´t received it yet, I cannot comment, but the folks at Desk said it´s far superior to Lamy nibs and gives a crisper line. Too bad the choice of Italics is so limited.

http://usera.imagecave.com/vhild/IMG_1647.jpg

I have a 1.1mm italic on my Stipula Saturno, and it has very mild line variation: a stub, at most. On the other hand, I have a 1.3mm italic on my Stipula Cromo, and it has dramatic line variation: between a cursive and a crisp italic.

This leads me to conclude that either:

a . the 1.1mm italics are stubs, while the 1.3mm italics are cursive/crisp; or

b . there is no consistency between the line variation of Stipula italics regardless of size

Edited by QM2

On various of my Stipula pens, I have 0.9, 1.1 and 1.3 mm factory italic nibs. All of them write like high quality stubs with modest line variation. I think option "b." might be the more probable.

So the conclusion I see is that stubs vary, but whatever you got (big or small line variation) you like them a lot!

Correct?

nick

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

Menick wrote:

"So the conclusion I see is that stubs vary, but whatever you got (big or small line variation) you like them a lot!"

Yes, that is what I was saying. - Just in case you needed to hear it. ;)

Last Saturday I purchased a Stipula Etruria. Testwrote a fine and medium nib, both very smooth. At my request the Penshop exchanged the nib for a 1.1 italic. The first lines felt less smooth than the F and M, but now I have been writing with it for two days it feels very natural and enhances my writing. Got two remarks today about a nice handwriting. Which is a compliment given the notorious doctors scrawl....

The linevariation is not big (but enough). My ConwayStewart Trafalgar gives more variation.

Happy with my pen. Not extremely long, but good girth and weight.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A question for stub fans and\or stipula fans.

Their italic nibs, how do they rate? how do you like them? small or excellent line variation?

Preferences... the .9 or 1.1?

If it can help, looking for suprema nuda...

Thanks!

nick

The Etrurias are stubs. They are wet and very easy writers.

The Auroras are Italics and noticeably more crisp than the Etruria, ie the line variation is more pronounced.

I did post a comparison between these 2 nibs somewhere here.

Stipulas are great writers in terms of how it feels in the hand. Fantastic.

rgds

TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

The Etrurias are stubs. They are wet and very easy writers.

The Auroras are Italics and noticeably more crisp than the Etruria, ie the line variation is more pronounced.

Which OEM Aurora nib did you buy to get this italic result?

Fred

Thanks all,¸

Will probably order my stipula today :D

Also, same question as Fred, and is it possible to order aurora nib or sections by themselves?

nick

Dear Fredrydr and Menick,

This was the post I was referring to.

When I bought the pen, I enquired if they have them in Italic or stub nibs.

To my pleasant surprise , they brought out a tray of Aurora sections of nibs in all sizes and types.

They didn't had any stubs. Italic was the closest to my request.

rgds

TMLee

instagram

...they brought out a tray of Aurora sections of nibs in all sizes and types. They didn't had any stubs. Italic was the closest to my request.

I bought a new Optima over a year ago, but I had no idea Aurora offered nibs designated as italic. I missed the boat on that one!

Fred

I took some pics of the section removed from the pen body.

I am not sure how this answers the posts here, but anyway, pics are always very useful.

What I am a bit puzzled is that there are no markings whatsoever on the nib (and elsewhere) to say that it is 'italic'.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4552.jpg http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4558.jpg

Here you see the chisel nib. Very sharp at the corners. So sharp I am tempted to smooth it down ever so slightly.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4555.jpg http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4554.jpg http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4553.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4559.jpg http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4560.jpg http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/Aurora%20Italic%20Nib/DSCF4562.jpg

Apologies for the unsharp macro shots which are not macro enuf. I am using a PHD camera, with the macro function at its limit.

rgds

TMLee

Edited by TMLee

instagram

For Aurora, usually the nib size marking is very faint on the black triangular part of the section -- not on the nib itself.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

For Aurora, usually the nib size marking is very faint on the black triangular part of the section -- not on the nib itself.

Hmmmmm ....

Can't seem to find it.

Is it printed (and perhaps washed off) or engraved?

Rgds

TMLee

instagram

Thanks for all the info!

I may need to look for a nib swap for my aurora... after I get my stipula and have fun with it for a little!

• 1 year later...

I didn't intentionally smooth mine, but over time the corners seemed to get less sharp on their own. If you write with a light hand, the width seems to be about 1.1 mm, but with downward pressure, the width goes to 1.5 mm. I just lined up those down strokes with ones from my Lamy 1.5 mm italic, and they match perfectly.

I wonder if Pelikan's factory italic has some flex to it as well?

I don't know if it is too late to respond to this post but I think that the Stipula italic nibs vary a lot in width. I have a Passaporto with a medium italic, a Suprema Nuda with 1.1, a 1.3 on some other celluloid model and a steel 1.1 on a ebonite one. The 1.1 steel writes like a 1.3 with tremendous line variation, the 1.3 writes like a very wet, stub with moderate line variation, and I have an Ebano Roso with a Broad nib that writes like a stub! I think that Stipulas have to be written with in a brick and mortar store because of this, even though they are more expensive there. They are wonderful pens but not consistent in their line width.

I've done an analysis of of a bunch of Stipula Italic nibs a while ago (I own quite a few Stip italic nibs), and the line variations all fall in the category of italic, not stub.

With the wider nibs, because they are wider, th evariation in the script is larger, as they all more or less maintain the same thickness. In principle I found the thickness to be about 0.35 mm, and the width with the 0.9 is 0.9 mm, the 1.1 between 1.05 and 1.15 mm, and the 1.3 between 1.3 and 1.35 mm. IOW, the minimum vertical to horizontal width factor is 2.6 (with the 0.9), which goes up to 3X and higher with 1.1 and 1.3 nibs. This is definitely in italic territory, not stub.

Obviously, the wetter a nib writes, which depends both on nib adjustment and the ink used, the less pronounced the script variations will become.

The 0.9 I found to be a good starter nib for first time italic writers, while the 1.3 isn't the easiest to write with if you don't have the writing position pat. Teh 0.9 can actually be handled ok by most peopel who normally write with an F nib as well, because the script variation makes it possible to form quite small, still open lettering.

Other than that, just like all large Stip nibs, writing with these is just pure pleasure, thanks to the great springiness in these nibs. :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I only have five data points for Stipula nibs: 2, 0.9; 2, 1.1; 1, 1.3.

The 1.3 was the "sharpest," and being the widest required the most attention to use.

Both of my 0.9s were more stub-like in both their ease of use (not-sharp corners) and line variation.

I had one 1.1 that was very italic-ey and one that (though sold to me as new) may have been modified, as it was far rounder than any other italic nib I own.

For times when I can slow down, I prefer the sharpness of the Aurora italics. However, for everyday use, the more stubbish Stipula 0.9 nibs are my favorite.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.