Big Red Recycled

pajaro

fpn_1382901891__bigred1166.jpg

fpn_1382901920__bigred1167.jpg

fpn_1382901944__bigred1168.jpg

fpn_1382903644__bigred1180.jpg

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• icardoth

• welch

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! I once put an Eversharp Sklyine section and nib into a Wearever; have an Esterbrook section in a stripped green Majestic and in a marbled Inkograph that had been robbed if its point.

Whatever returns an old pen to writing-duty is a good thing. (Let a Collector puzzle it out 50 years from now)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Nice! Does the Sonnet's nib & feed fits the Cross Solo section?

No, the Sonnet feed is too long to fit in the Cross Solo section. The Solo nib is only slightly longer than the Sonnet nib, so the Sonnet nib can be pushed into the section far enough. This nib, with the Cross feed, writes perfectly the line I wrote above, with no flow issues. Apparently Sonnet nibs work better in other pens. It makes me wonder if there is some issue with the design of the C/C system in the Sonnet. This is a refresh nib, that wouldn't write and then skipped in the Blue Ice pen, and I might have broken the attachment ear on the nib when I changed Sonnet feeds to get the Sonnet to write. It writes to perfection now.

This is like the case of another Sonnet nib I put in an Esterbrook, where it writes far better and with more perfect flow than in the Sonnet. Broke the attachment ear off of that one myself, so that re-use saved the nib. I don't know what to think of these operations. I have seen others do them and the results seem great, but I have a certain level of discomfort at pragmatically re-engineering these pens. I like the writing result, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I put a section from my wife's Lamy Joy into an ugly blue Safari rollerball barrel. I had to cut the end of the converter down for it to fit, but at least It'll get some use now. :)

Nice job Pajaro-

Was that originally a fountain pen? It looks suspiciously like the rollerballs Parker came out with in the mid 70's as a Big Red replica pen. That one looks like their 1976 Bicentennial Pen.

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

It was a Big Red Bicentennial rollerball/ballpoint. I bought it recently on ebay with the express purpose of making it into a fountain pen. I like the size and shape of the 1970s Big Reds, and the Cross Solo section threads into the barrel and the Cross converter fits on this pen. The Sonnet nib was easy to fit into the section.