Lamy Blue-Black (Iron Gall) - Anywhere Still Sell It?

Renfield

I think the topic says it all. I am looking for a bottle of Lamy Blue-Black, but not the current one. The older one which is Iron Gall and water proof.

Anyone offer any ideas?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• The Good Captain

• Renfield

• inotrym

Sorry, this won't help much, but in all of the 6 or so stores where it once was available here, it's now game over...

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I see you are reading this one, Mike!

Ask what the barcode numbers are on any bottles that Write Here has in stock. If it is still 4 014519 089360 then there's a fair bet that it's the IG original. That's where I bought the three bottles I have here, with the same numbers.

I think Lapis has the same code too.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Yes, the barcode numbers on the bottles of the old (iron-gall) inks is still 4 014519 089360. After ca. December 2012, there is a new code number for the apparently non-iron-gall Lamy blue-black. Thanks, cap'n!

IMO the only way to distinguish between both is first to check out their barcode numbers. Their labels and their boxes and the bottles still remain the same. Perhaps paper chromatography might yield something crass. We'll see, I hope soon.

Mike

I'm just glad that I have a couple of back up bottles. If you can't find any, a good replacement would be Rohrer & Klingner Salix. In my pens, Salix is just a hair lighter shade blue going onto the paper, but for all practical purposes it is interchangeable with the iron gall Lamy BB.

Hang on everybody... if you buy a bottle today which your store just got yesterday, the chances are that it is the new ink and no longer the old one which contained iron-gall.

The changeover occurred around December 2012.

Since then, only the new ink is now being manufactured.

I just phoned Heidelberg and our problem is that the old ink and the new ink both have the same barf code numbers, as stated by our cap'n above. Everything else -- except for the ink itself, of course -- like bottle, box, you-know-what paper has remained exactly the same.

Mike

Hang on everybody... if you buy a bottle today which your store just got yesterday, the chances are that it is the new ink and no longer the old one which contained iron-gall.

The changeover occurred around December 2012.

Since then, only the new ink is now being manufactured.

I just phoned Heidelberg and our problem is that the old ink and the new ink both have the same barf code numbers, as stated by our cap'n above. Everything else -- except for the ink itself, of course -- like bottle, box, you-know-what paper has remained exactly the same.

Mike

Good point, O Wise One. I suspect that my bottles were bought before the end of 2012 anyway but I can't actually remember those purchases particularly. I actually don't use it as much as the beautiful 4001, Salix or ESSRI, and Montblanc Midnight Blue, of course. No real reason.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

For those in need... a mild comparison of optical and chemical properties of the old and new Lamy Blue-blacks in bottles can be found here.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting an old post because I JUST bought a bottle of this, and the barcode on mine is the same the iron gall one. Unfortunately for the people looking for this version, I bought it from a stationery store in New Zealand.

I guess this is the only good thing about living in a country where no one cares for fountain pen related stuff, haha.

Resurrecting an old post because I JUST bought a bottle of this, and the barcode on mine is the same the iron gall one. Unfortunately for the people looking for this version, I bought it from a stationery store in New Zealand.

I guess this is the only good thing about living in a country where no one cares for fountain pen related stuff, haha.

Does it say Iron Gall?

Do they have an online presence? (Not sure how cost effective shipping would make it)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I just phoned Heidelberg

You are an ink nerd!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY