Cleo Skribent Classic, Platinum Plated Trim, Steel B Nib

Uncle Red

I'd been looking at these pens for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. I ordered from Papier Plume in New Orleans, LA on a Sun. The tracking number for the package was emailed to me the same day and I received my pen and ink (for a later review) on the following Thursday. You don't need to see the USPS box, we all know what they look like. I threw the outer cardboard sleeve over my shoulder on to the floor behind me and was left with this classy box

20130425_204638.jpg

Cleo Skribent is a small company in the former East Germany, they advertise 100% hand made pens. There is a nice but out-of-date review of them on PenHero.
The Box is opened

20130425_204735.jpg

The Pen

20130425_204800.jpg

Where's the cartridge or converter, they're not under the pad?

20130425_204825.jpg

That's right, I got the piston filler model. The pen is available as a c/c pen too.

20130425_205013.jpg

20130425_205123.jpg

My first impression was that the Classic felt more like a vintage eyedropper than any modern pen I've held. It's the constant taper from the wide part of the barrel through the section and the very low profile threads, you can grip the pen however you want. The balance is good both posted and unposted and it's long enough that the pen should be easy to use for even the biggest hands. The pen is very light weight even filled with ink. The piston is plastic and turns smoothly, I was surprised how much ink was sucked up, it's not a TWSBI but it does hold a good amount. I got the steel nib but 14K gold nibs are an option.
A writing sample on Triomphe paper with Diamine Washable Blue, my standard testing ink

20130425_210500.jpg

Here's the classic beside a TWSBI 540, both capped

20130425_211148.jpg

And Uncapped

20130425_211323.jpg

So we're clear, the Classic is longer than the 540 but thinner. The nib on the Classic is smaller. It's a nail, but it's a smooth nail.

20130425_211406.jpg

It's been mine for about a 3 weeks now and I've been using it everyday. Only been filled once but I do use other pens too. The flow improved a bit, this will be perfect for my wetter inks. The price is about the same as a Pelikan M200 with the steel nib and I'd buy a Cleo again. I'm looking at the gold nibbed Classic and the Ebonite pens for later.

The Classic is offered in Black or White resin; piston or c/c filler; Platinum or Gold plated trim; Steel or 14K Gold nibs.

Edited by Uncle Red

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncle Red

• Thornton

• Inguz

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review. I have the same pen, but with the c/c filling system. Mine has a fine nib and I've found the flow to be a little inconsistent. Definitely a good pen for we inks. I'm glad you're enjoying yours. The author Neil Gaiman has this same pen, but I believe that his has gold trim. Not sure of the filling system.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Thanks. I knew Gaiman had fountain pens but not this one. Mine's a consistent 4-5 wetness.