Any Experiences With Guider Handmade Pens?

Wheatflower

I'm looking for opinions on Guider pens. Fountain Pen Revolution is currently running a sale on them, I just got paid for a freelance job, and I don't think I have to connect the dots here. :puddle:

My previous experience with Indian-made pens has been good; I have a number of Serwex pens that I like and two that I really like. I am assuming that a Guider, being handmade, will be a better quality pen, but what I'm most interested in is a pen that writes reliably--I prefer workhorses to pretty faces.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• mehandiratta

• rwilsonedn

• deepak23

The Guider (Raja or Marala) is one of the most well proportioned of pens and ideal for writing with the cap posted. Fantastic balance. BUT an equally temperamental writer. The nibs can be scratchy and in all probability flood. I have no experience with FPR having bought my Guiders directly, but unless they have replaced the stock nib and feed, these problems may appear (ymmv).

I have popped out the feed and nib and have replaced it with a standard Wality dual tone nib and matching feed. Also heat set the feed. Now, I have a brilliant pen. No leaks, no flooding and a smooth F nib. :-)

HTH

A lifelong FP user...

My mileage with Guider did indeed vary. Some were great out of the box, others needed work before they worked satisfactorily. But all were eventually tuned to perform well, and both the Guider Raja and Marala are among my favorite pens. But so far I think their best offering is the Onyx - beautiful body, great writer (fitted with a Schmidt nib and feed that will permit using a converter, cartridge, or eyedropper).Superb.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The Guider (Raja or Marala) is one of the most well proportioned of pens and ideal for writing with the cap posted. Fantastic balance. BUT an equally temperamental writer. The nibs can be scratchy and in all probability flood. I have no experience with FPR having bought my Guiders directly, but unless they have replaced the stock nib and feed, these problems may appear (ymmv).

I have popped out the feed and nib and have replaced it with a standard Wality dual tone nib and matching feed. Also heat set the feed. Now, I have a brilliant pen. No leaks, no flooding and a smooth F nib. :-)

HTH

My mileage with Guider did indeed vary. Some were great out of the box, others needed work before they worked satisfactorily. But all were eventually tuned to perform well, and both the Guider Raja and Marala are among my favorite pens. But so far I think their best offering is the Onyx - beautiful body, great writer (fitted with a Schmidt nib and feed that will permit using a converter, cartridge, or eyedropper).Superb.

Onyx is certainly a beautiful pen.... amazing colors...

have not tried guider pen yet.... but ve heard out of the box nibs need attention

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Onyx is certainly a beautiful pen.... amazing colors...

have not tried guider pen yet.... but ve heard out of the box nibs need attention

Sometimes they do, that's true. But not always. My double-nibbed Guider - called, affectionately, the Magic Wand - was excellent out of the box and both nibs write beautifully with absolutely no issues. The Raja too was good, but I found the nib a bit small for such a hefty pen, and I swapped it out and put in a Schmidt nib over the old feed. It looks better this way and writes as well as it did before. The P51 model, their tribute to the Parker of the same model number, was excellent out of the box. But there is another model, I think it's called P12, that would not write right no matter how I tuned that nib. I eventually replaced it with a spare Deccan nib and that pen is perfect now...

Sometimes they do, that's true. But not always. My double-nibbed Guider - called, affectionately, the Magic Wand - was excellent out of the box and both nibs write beautifully with absolutely no issues. The Raja too was good, but I found the nib a bit small for such a hefty pen, and I swapped it out and put in a Schmidt nib over the old feed. It looks better this way and writes as well as it did before. The P51 model, their tribute to the Parker of the same model number, was excellent out of the box. But there is another model, I think it's called P12, that would not write right no matter how I tuned that nib. I eventually replaced it with a spare Deccan nib and that pen is perfect now...

can u share images if possible...??

vaibhav mehandiratta

I will try and shoot a few.

My point too. The nib is the weak link. Need to get an Onyx...

A lifelong FP user...

No time yet for pics, and not today either. Will try tomorrow.

Waiting

Here are some of my Guiders.

fpn_1426961939__some_of_my_guiders_2.jpg

Capped.

fpn_1426961971__some_of_my_guiders_4.jpg

and uncapped.

Left to right: Onyx v2, Acrylic (blue), two-nibbed "Magic Wand", P12 (IIRC), P51, ebonite (from FPR when they had mostly celluloid), Raja.

Oh wow! All of them are beautiful! After seeing this picture, I might get myself the Raja or the Magic Wand at some point, I'm currently waiting for the Onyx. The P12 is tempting too, their catalogue picture doesn't do it justice.

Thank you. I agree they're all beautiful. I'm glad I could convey that...

Here are some of my Guiders.

fpn_1426961939__some_of_my_guiders_2.jpg

Capped.

fpn_1426961971__some_of_my_guiders_4.jpg

and uncapped.

Left to right: Onyx v2, Acrylic (blue), two-nibbed "Magic Wand", P12 (IIRC), P51, ebonite (from FPR when they had mostly celluloid), Raja.

Killer collection

vaibhav mehandiratta

:D thank you

:D thank you

Very nice collection you have. I wish their pens were more widely available. I have one from FPR in the mail from their recent sale.

Contact fellow FPN member Mesu for Guiders. She is in regular close contact with them, and is organizing our group buy of Onyxes from them. I think three of those I got from her, starting with the Magic Wand. She calls it a Dual Nib pen. You can take a look here for some pictures.

Contact Mesu (that's her handle here) via PM. There was a small snafu with some of the Onyxes, and some of us are awaiting a new batch - you may yet be able to get one.