Wall Storage For Ink Bottles

ershen

Deciding on how to store all my fountain pen ink bottles that is quickly accumulating. I have some time over the holidays and I am thinking of building a small/miniature wall bookcase shelf to store and display them in my office.

Would like see how you all are storing your bottles so I can get ideas for building mine and would be very grateful.

Insanabile Scribendi Cacoethes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMCMom

• ershen

• pen2paper

• raging.dragon

Maybe look at racks for jars of spices? They come in bottles of similar size . . .

I kind of like that idea!

François (Frank) P.

Currently inked: Parker 51/Quink Blue-Black; TWSBI 580 1.1mm/Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

I am a newbie starting out and I already put in a custom order with a wood craftsman to make me two boxes, the first box holds 3 ink bottles and 4 pens, second box holds 4 ink bottles and 4 pens. Space is at a premium for me right now.

How many bottles of ink do you have in your collection? When it comes to having your most favorite inks at your desk I was envisioning a spice rack design- The rack would be square or round and rotate. If I had 100+ bottles of ink I want to build a custom cabinet that would have shelves that would hold 25 bottles in a single row, each shelf would have holder/compartments to hold the bottle so they would not topple or shift around the shelf, and mount the cabinet on the wall close to my desk.

Best Regards,

Mikale

http://www.fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_20101008_184122-300x225.jpg

This is my solution. I got the shelf at Target on clearance. I added another one below it because I grossly underestimated my ink collection. It's about 3" deep, was cheap, and easy to hang. Definitely not the best solution out there, but it works for me. Oh, you can click the image for a larger version, too.

I am a newbie starting out and I already put in a custom order with a wood craftsman to make me two boxes, the first box holds 3 ink bottles and 4 pens, second box holds 4 ink bottles and 4 pens. Space is at a premium for me right now.

How many bottles of ink do you have in your collection? When it comes to having your most favorite inks at your desk I was envisioning a spice rack design- The rack would be square or round and rotate. If I had 100+ bottles of ink I want to build a custom cabinet that would have shelves that would hold 25 bottles in a single row, each shelf would have holder/compartments to hold the bottle so they would not topple or shift around the shelf, and mount the cabinet on the wall close to my desk.

I have about two dozen various ink bottles (Montblancs, Auroras, Noodlers, Lamys, Levengers). I don't have much space in my office as it is also my reloading space for my firearms so I would like to make something to go on the wall above my computer desk in my small office. I will probably build the shelf custom shelf to hold around 50 bottles of ink as I will likely get more colors in the future.

http://www.fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_20101008_184122-300x225.jpg

This is my solution. I got the shelf at Target on clearance. I added another one below it because I grossly underestimated my ink collection. It's about 3" deep, was cheap, and easy to hang. Definitely not the best solution out there, but it works for me. Oh, you can click the image for a larger version, too.

I very much like this idea as well. Very simple in design and I could just add another shelf above or below as I needed. I will definitely keep this one in consideration. :thumbup:

Hello Ershen, et al,

I hate to rain on everybody's parade (and I particularly like the look of that Target shelf) but ink likes to be kept in the dark. :ninja:

All the best,

Sean :)

aka "the rainmaker"

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello Ershen, et al,

I hate to rain on everybody's parade (and I particularly like the look of that Target shelf) but ink likes to be kept in the dark. :ninja:

All the best,

aka "the rainmaker"

That's why I keep as much of mine in the boxes as I can. Plus, my desk has no drawers.

I had the same storage problem, so I converted an interior window. If I out grow this window ink display, guess I'll use the exterior window, by closing it up (no light to come through) and just make another window for my ink. I have an old house with tall ceilings and large windows. The window ink display is 7 ft tall by 36 in.

fpn_1320705369__ink_window_display.jpg

Hello Dannzeman, et al,

Keeping the ink in the boxes does help some; however, my office is brightly lit and also gets a lot of sun during the day- so I don't have much choice but to buy desks with drawers. :D I'll say this- that shelf idea would be great in a closet if your primary pen room is sunny or brightly lit.

All the best,

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

I had the same storage problem, so I converted an interior window. If I out grow this window ink display, guess I'll use the exterior window, by closing it up (no light to come through) and just make another window for my ink. I have an old house with tall ceilings and large windows. The window ink display is 7 ft tall by 36 in.

Hello USMCMom,

That looks really cool. :thumbup:

All the best,

Hello USMCMom,

That looks really cool. :thumbup:

All the best,

Thank you! It has made my inky life sooo much easier!

I love it! Your ink collection has really grown!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I just use a shelf on a Lawyers book case type case for my inks.

fpn_1320708104__ink_storage1.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

That is a beautiful reapplication of an old window. Brilliant! :thumbup:

:puddle:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I very much like this idea as well. Very simple in design and I could just add another shelf above or below as I needed. I will definitely keep this one in consideration. :thumbup:

Only inTexas ershen! Only in Texas!

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

I love it! Your ink collection has really grown!

Thank you! I was using a small-ish dresser, but was not able to open or shut the drawers very easily, so I had to come up with a better way. This works out wonderfully. Yeah, my ink inventory has grown. LOL

That is a beautiful reapplication of an old window. Brilliant! :thumbup:

Well ... it is/was a window, but an interior window. A previous owner added on a small room on the other side of the window, but never removed it. At one time, that window overlooked part of the back yard.