Paper Towel Chromatography

Melnicki

It might be more fun if I don't tell you which colors are which, at least not right away... (edit, see below, I have identified which ink is which)

If you have read my posts you probably know what colors I enjoy most...

I will do two more tonight... People should post pictures of their own, It's so easy to do!!!

Just make a thick line on paper towel, set it flat on a non-absorbent surface, and "wick" the water into the towel by placing a few drops at a time at the edge closest to where you left your ink mark. Keep adding drops as the reservoir dries up, until you are satisfied that the pigments have separated... I actually tried this with chromatography paper last night, but it didn't work as beautifully as with paper towel!!! I can't stop looking at it. It's more beautiful than the inks themselves!

http://static.flickr.com/53/107459719_90096ef546_b.jpg

Edited by Melnicki

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melnicki

• Rap

• Shortie

• nluoma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those are awesome Melnicki! I am happy to know I am not the only freak around here to makes these on purpose!! (j/k)

That one on the right is gorgeous - is it really just one color of ink? I am anxious to read the results of which ink is which...

By the way, where does one acquire chromatography paper and what do you do that gives you access to it? You have piqued my interest :)

Marina.

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Okay, here are two more...

I will post them each individually to their respective ink review forums.

And you can view the FLICKR gallery I made: FLICKR gallery of Ink Chromatography

I'm not going to do the Eternal Inks I have, as I assume they shouldn't separate, although it would certainly be interesting. That's all the Noodler's I have. Cheers.

http://static.flickr.com/43/107548873_5a4be57dee_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/43/107548872_b20dc14a29_b.jpg

Click for Ink Scans!!

(edit: I probably should have said the names: first picture is Sequoia, Golden Brown, Antietam, and Beaver. second picture is Green Marine and Tiananmen. third picture is Sequoia, Green Marine, and Beaver)

Marina, this has been so much fun. Unfortunately, it's an extra reason to get more inks, but I told myself I wouldn't! I work in a photosynthesis Lab. It's been a while since I've done paper chromatography (people don't really do it anymore, there are better types) but I was surprised that it didn't work well with a real set-up. But the problem was that the water travelled too fast. I got these to resolve well by only putting drops of water at a time and letting the water wick slowly through the towel. But that is why the top margin is wavy; it wasn't an even wick. I have no idea where to get chromatography paper. We get most of our stuff from Fisher Scientific, but I don't know if they sell to the public? Maybe they do, and it's just the chemicals they don't sell to the public? That makes more sense (they ARE a business and will gladly sell you as much as you will buy within the law)...

Okay, enough procrastination for today... Although I really want to write a review of some of my cheapie pens. I took some *alright* pictures, but don't want to fuss any more about trying to get good quality. I never mastered this digital camera thing. Sorry if I screwed up the colors on these pictures, by the way. It's more or less accurate.

Edited by Melnicki

Click for Ink Scans!!

http://static.flickr.com/53/107672563_6cc3ea05b9_o.jpg

OK, I'll play. Lines of ink drawn on half a coffee filter. Then dipped the filter in water to allow the water to soak up through the filter and line of ink to separate out the colours. From left to right the inks are:

Noodlers (Pendemonium) Legal Lapis

Noodlers Blue

Noodlers Green

Waterman Purple

There was some minor bleeding of the permanent Legal Lapis but I attribute that to not allowing the ink to dry before dipping. What surprsed me was that the Waterman Purple almost completely migrated up through the paper away from the line that was drawn. I guess the Waterman isn't very permanent.

http://static.flickr.com/53/107689279_0dbbf0ef7a_o.jpg

Second Test. From left to right the inks are:

Quink Washable Blue

Quink Blue Black

Quink Black

Pilot Blue (from a disposable Pilot V Pen)

What surprised me here was that the Blue-Black seems to have washed out more than the Washable Blue.

Edited by Video11

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

Hi Melnicki,

Wow! Thank you for sharing these. I think this is absolutely stunning, and definitely something I need to try as well!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Second Test. From left to right the inks are:

Quink Washable Blue

Quink Blue Black

Quink Black

Pilot Blue (from a disposable Pilot V Pen)

What surprised me here was that the Blue-Black seems to have washed out more than the Washable Blue.

Don't they advertize Blue-Black as permanent???

-Bruce

this is really cool! thanks. B)

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

I gave this a try with some Herbin inks:

Cacao du Brésil ___ Poussière de Lune ___ Éclat de Saphir

_ (Brazilian Cocoa) _________ (Moon Dust) __________ (Sapphire Shine)

I didn't notice until I looked at these photos that the Herbin bottle cap has changed! :blink:

These don't look nearly as colourful as some of the others. Perhaps the Herbin natural dies are not a mixture of as many different colours?

post-8-1141617948_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is really cool. I remember doing this to some black ink way back when and of course, as a kid, it blew my mind that black ink was made up of other colours.

I found this while researching what Noodler's colour to buy, and have shortlisted to marine green, zhivago, nightshade, ottoman azure. Nout sure of I should get a red, like tiananmen, as it would make reading pretty tedious (a long letter that it is). Meanwhile, the shopping continues.

If I get my act together, will get some ink spotted and separated to add to this.

Shortie

Absolutely fascinating! And I think I have an idea for my kids science fair projects. :roller1:

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

Mark Twain

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Those are awesome Melnicki! I am happy to know I am not the only freak around here to makes these on purpose!! (j/k)

That one on the right is gorgeous - is it really just one color of ink? I am anxious to read the results of which ink is which...

By the way, where does one acquire chromatography paper and what do you do that gives you access to it? You have piqued my interest :)

Marina.

Marina,

If you are interested in getting chromatography paper, or almost anything in scientific or lab supplies, www.cynmar.com (not affiliated) is the place to go. When I was a Chemistry teacher at a private school, they saved my budget. And, I first purchased as an individual, and got reimbursed, as it was an unknown when I started ordering from them, so they do sell to individuals.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I'm not going to do the Eternal Inks I have, as I assume they shouldn't separate, although it would certainly be interesting.

Actually, the Eternal/Bulletproof Noodler's inks do separate -- they're only bulletproof AFTER they dry. I myself am an inadvertent "art" chromatographer. I fill my pens near the kitchen sink. After I swab the nib, I just throw the crumpled up paper towel into the sink temporarily. I noticed that this causes some very interesting patterns depending on how wet the sink is, how long I leave the wad of paper in the sink, how crumpled the paper towel was, etc. I now have a stack of carefully unfolded and dried paper towels with wonderful cloud and sky dragon designs. Maybe I'll post some scans over the weekend...

Doug

• 1 month later...
I now have a stack of carefully unfolded and dried paper towels with wonderful cloud and sky dragon designs.

I can't bear to throw out the paper towels that I use to wipe the nib with, nor the to-do-lists that I have spilled tea on. These chromatographs are just mesmerizing in real life!!!

Click for Ink Scans!!