Pen for architect

f00bar

Hello there.

I am looking for the perfect fountain pen... Sounds kind of scary, does it not? Problem is; there is so many wonderful pens to choose between. So I was hoping that some of you had some recommendations?

To be more specific, I want a good daily writer that I hope I can enjoy for many years to come. I am currently working on my master in architecture, so I want a pen that has a nice, clean line, a thin nib and is good (or at least acceptable) for drawing. The line might have a bit of variation, or personality to it. It should not be to dry.

Concerning the design of the pen: the cap and barrel should ideally be in the same color. I am not too crazy about lots of details and pattern, but if it is well designed - why not. I would like it to have a nice classic look.

Other than that? It _should_ not cost more than $350.

Now... I do not expect to find the perfect fountain pen to that price, but if you know of one that might fit at least a bit of the description, I would be very thankful.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• Sketchy

• troglokev

• f00bar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recommend:

1. Lamy 2000 XF nib (about $90-100 online; $140 list)

2. Pilot Vanishing Point Silver Trim - F nib or a customized 0.7 Richard Binder cursive italic nib ($80 - 140 depending on nib)

For an architect, I think the Lamy 2000 is just a match made in heaven. Staying well within the money you mention, you could also get a matching 0.5 or 0.7mm pencil ($60 or so).

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

The Lamy 2k and Vanishing Point are excellent choices, though I'd argue the Lamy's nib (even in XF) is far too broad for most people that do detailed work or have small handwriting. Another pen to add to the list is the Pilot m90, which is a reissue of the old Pilot MYU from the 1970s. I have a MYU and I think it is a fantastically well-designed pen with lots of artistic flair. Plus, it puts down a nice fine line for precision work. The reissue m90 can be had for about $120 I think, though the number of sources for it are limited.

A vintage Esterbrook J or LJ with a firm extra fine (1550) or any of a host of other fine or extra fine nibs would be perfect for your use and the cap and barrel are of the same colour. The only problem is that you may have to buy a bunch of Esties to use up your budget.

From a fellow architect – I just LOVE my Pilot Murex.

Firm fine nib (great for drawing and redlining), integrated nib looks great, all-stainless construction takes a beating.

(Also been lusting after a Lamy 2000, although I'm not sure I'd use it for drawings. Probably just writing.)

post-16621-1224886611_thumb.gif

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I recommend:

1. Lamy 2000 XF nib (about $90-100 online; $140 list)

2. Pilot Vanishing Point Silver Trim - F nib or a customized 0.7 Richard Binder cursive italic nib ($80 - 140 depending on nib)

For an architect, I think the Lamy 2000 is just a match made in heaven. Staying well within the money you mention, you could also get a matching 0.5 or 0.7mm pencil ($60 or so).

Bauhaus all the way go with the Lamy 2000 or you could try one of the ACME pens that are architect based.

there are a few Gaudi pens out there but thye would blow your budget!

Kurt

I'm not an architect but I play one in real life. All day, every day. Day after day after day..... Anyway, I've been using fountain pens for just over a year and I'm finding that out of the pens I carry every day; Lamy vista fine, Libelle Autumn Leaves medium, Preppy ED extra fine, and Hero 100 fine; I pick up that Hero 99% of the time. It writes a nice solid yet fine line. It writes well on bond paper from the plotter as well as tracing film. As I get older I do wish sometimes that it was a little fatter for comfort after longer periods of use. Generally holds enough ink to get me through a couple of days and I write a lot and sketch a fair amount. I do think that many people have the impression that architects sit at a drafting table and draw but the reality is that we sit at computers and draw. Most of my pen work is writing. Sitting in meetings taking notes, redlining plans, sketching quick details off to the side of the sheet. And it's a good looking pen without making your client wonder if you're overcharging them to feed a fountain pen habit because clients always wonder why design seems to cost so much. Hell, anyone can do it.

Fred

i second that. a rotring 600 (old style) would seem to me to be an architect's or engineer's pen. here's a pic of mine:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3266/2692763942_98170bdfe1.jpg

How about a rOtring 600? The hexagon shape of the pen body was designed so it would not roll off a drawing table.

Rick

Check out my blog and my pens

i second that. a rotring 600 (old style) would seem to me to be an architect's or engineer's pen. here's a pic of mine:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3266/2692763942_98170bdfe1.jpg

How about a rOtring 600? The hexagon shape of the pen body was designed so it would not roll off a drawing table.

Rick

I agree on the Rotring and series one 600's aren't too difficult to find but I haven't seen many in xf. The nib is very firm. You can find them on ebay.

At the complete opposite of the spectrum a M600 with an xf nib from Richard Binder would be a good choice and it hold plenty of ink.

You didn't mention what kind of filler you prefer. The rotiring is cartridge or converter. The Pelikans of the Souveran series are piston.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Woof, that Pilot M90 is a beaut! Hope they make some more of those for the US...

I love the look of the Rotring 600's but they are so darn heavy. I have the ball points in this series (4 of em, old style) and I love to pull them out and use them from time to time. But they only weigh about 1/2 of the fountain pen!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Woof, that Pilot M90 is a beaut! Hope they make some more of those for the US...

I love the look of the Rotring 600's but they are so darn heavy. I have the ball points in this series (4 of em, old style) and I love to pull them out and use them from time to time. But they only weigh about 1/2 of the fountain pen!

A have two "old style" all-metal Rotring mechanical pencils. If you drop one accidentally the tip first, the latter will bend badly due to the weight of the pencil. I think pens may suffer from the weight as well.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Hello there.

I am looking for the perfect fountain pen... Sounds kind of scary, does it not? Problem is; there is so many wonderful pens to choose between. So I was hoping that some of you had some recommendations?

To be more specific, I want a good daily writer that I hope I can enjoy for many years to come. I am currently working on my master in architecture, so I want a pen that has a nice, clean line, a thin nib and is good (or at least acceptable) for drawing. The line might have a bit of variation, or personality to it. It should not be to dry.

Concerning the design of the pen: the cap and barrel should ideally be in the same color. I am not too crazy about lots of details and pattern, but if it is well designed - why not. I would like it to have a nice classic look.

Other than that? It _should_ not cost more than $350.

Now... I do not expect to find the perfect fountain pen to that price, but if you know of one that might fit at least a bit of the description, I would be very thankful.

Easy. My Dad was an architect. He was also a leftie. Go get yourself a Parker 51 with a fine nib. With your budget you should be able to find a nice higher cachet DJ in fully restored and tuned condition.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Rotring 600s do look like they suit the architect type.

And as said before, a Lamy EF might be too thick.

Japanese pens (Pilot/Namiki, Sailor, Platinum) are good for fine lines.

I think you might want to buy two pens (and not just because I want to get people to buy as many fountain pens as possible). One that is your "good daily writer that [you] hope [you] can enjoy for many years to come," and whose "line might have a bit of variation, or personality to it," and one straight shooting business pen that "has a nice, clean line, a thin nib and is good (or at least acceptable) for drawing."

If you are going to stick with one pen... for width variation, the first thing in mind is an italic, but I reckon that wouldn't be too good for fine printing and especially not for drawing. A flexible nib might work, might even help with the drawing, but I don't know.

Good luck on your quest for your perfect pen!

CALAMVS·GLADIO·FORTIOR

With your budget, I'd say you could get three pens, based on what others have said about them:

1. Rotring 600

It's perfect for architects as the design is made for the sloped tables, and the EF line it puts out is nice and thin, or so I hear.

2. Any Esterbrook with a semi-flex nib

Cheap, and it's good for line variation, and tough for daily use.

3. Any Fine/Extra-fine Sailor/Pilot/Namiki/Platinum pen

These are nice and fine and generally not as heavy as the 600; if you ever get into extended writing sessions, you won't get tired from writing.

From a fellow 'architectural designer'--not licensed yet, I have the following recommendations:

1. Muji aluminum fountain pen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niblog/5946568/

2. Lamy CP1 matt black titanium fountain pen: http://www.montgomerypens.com/product_deta...product_id=1701

3. Omas Emotica: black with titanium F nib (the clip is sure to excite your spatial sense!)

4. Namiki Bamboo Rhodium

All are much less than $350, especially the first two. I think if you are using it for drawing (sketching I presume on trace or mylar), then the Omas Emotica with a flexible titanium nib is much more suited. I still find the range of line weights possible with this nib impressive.

Good luck with your M.Arch--enjoy those late late nights...

AAA