Conway Stewart 'Lawyer's Pen' Fountain Pen

Bill Riepl

Hi,

I have the exclusive 'Lawyer's Pen' for sale. The pen is in mint, unused condition and is housed in the Conway Stewart diamond box gift presentation packaging with warranty booklet.

Below are images from Conway Stewart website and information on this pen.

http://www.mvburke.com/images/corporatefldr/lawyer3.jpg

http://www.mvburke.com/images/corporatefldr/lawyer2.jpg

The Lawyer's Pen

Carbolic Smoke Ball Co

Carbolic Smoke Ball Co., a curiously-named* supplier of gifts to the legal profession based in England, has commissioned a pen for lawyers from Conway Stewart. Ex-barrister Philip Jenks, who runs the company

says:

"I had been selling reconditioned Parker 51s on my site for many years, and kept on getting asked if I had a pen specifically for lawyers. As a profession, they seem to love writing and everything that goes with it. Searching on the web, I came across a beautiful pen which Conway Stewart made a few years ago for doctors. I got in touch with the company, and together we came up with a design for lawyers which exceeded my best expectations."

The centre band is engraved with the scales of justice, as is the cap. The pen is in a limited edition of 250 numbered pieces world-wide.

This exquisite fountain pen is made specially for Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. by Britain's leading luxury pen manufacturer - Conway Stewart. The Lawyer's Pen is based on Conway Stewart's Wellington design in classic black, and with a discreet legal motif. It is the perfect gift to a lawyer in the family, or to colleagues or clients who will immediately admire its understated elegance and appreciate its practical qualities.

* The cap and barrel are turned from smart black Italian resin, then accented with intricate engraving.

* The centre band, in solid silver, is engraved with the scales of justice and carries the sterling silver hallmark.

* The top of the cap is engraved with a scales of justice motif.

* The nib is 18ct gold and engraved with the Conway Stewart name and logo.

* The pen uses a reliable cartridge converter mechanism which can be refilled either from a bottle of ink or from cartridges.

* The flow of ink to the nib is smooth and consistent, making writing a real pleasure.

* The pen comes in Conway Stewart's luxurious packaging - a double-layer presentation box with the Conway Stewart name picked out in gold, and with a black velour interior.

Every stage of the production process, from the turning of the barrel, to the banding of the cap, to the fitting of the nib, to final polishing and testing, takes place in Conway Stewart's workshops in Plymouth. The Lawyer's pen is in a limited edition of 250 numbered pieces world-wide.

*Carbolic Smoke Ball Co., is the name of an 1893 law case in England which established an important precedent in contract law. Apparently almost every lawyer in the world has studied it!

List Price is $570. My sales price is $500 plus $10 S&H in the lower 48 states by UPS ground trac.

Bill Riepl

stylophiles@comcast.net

Tel: 1.425.753.2229

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Riepl

• fuchsiaprincess

• offbase

• vermiculus

I love that pen. If I had the cash I'd be all over that, not because I'm a lawyer, but because I'm a Libra.

'Course, if you feel like knocking off say, $350 I'll buy it right now. ;)

Hi Bill, what size nib does the pen have? It's not written in the pen description and you mentioned that the photos were from CS site. So, I presume the 'M' on the pen may not be the size.

Also, how much is shipping to Australia? Thank you!

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Shipping to Australia would be $44 for insured International Express.

As for nibs, thanks to my vast influence with the US rep for CS (assuming I get the list of household chores done on time!) I think we could pretty much arrange for whatever nib grade you wanted. I think she has most sizes here on hand.

Bill Riepl

Hi Bill, what size nib does the pen have? It's not written in the pen description and you mentioned that the photos were from CS site. So, I presume the 'M' on the pen may not be the size.

Regards,

Soki

Shipping to Australia would be $44 for insured International Express.

As for nibs, thanks to my vast influence with the US rep for CS (assuming I get the list of household chores done on time!) I think we could pretty much arrange for whatever nib grade you wanted. I think she has most sizes here on hand.

Bill Riepl

Regards,

Soki

Thanks, Bill! I shall have to consult the Finance Minister and maybe do a few household chores myself!

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Man, I wish - what a beautiful pen. Alas, the lawyers pen is beyond my law-students budget. Someone please grab this one . . . before my self-restraint gives in.

Back to my Evidence book. Must. Keep. Busy.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

• 1 month later...

Looks like I have two of these left on hand here, one FP and one RB... Perfect fit for under the tree of your favorite attorney! I can do your choice of nib grade on the FP.

Bill Riepl

Carlill v. Carbolic Smoke Ball

Supposedly if you sniffed the smoke ball regularly, you wouldn't get the flu. It didn't exactly work.

The better case for a pen is Hawkins v. McGee (also McGee v. United States Fidelity & Guaranty), known better as the "hairy hand" case. A boy with a scarred hand was promised by a doctor a "100% good hand". Supposedly the doctor had a minimal contact with skin grafting in WWI, and thought "that isn't so hard" and set out to try it on the boy. The doctor grafted body skin onto the boy's hand. Later the palm became deformed and grew hair (because the doctor used body skin for the graft).

I suppose no one would want to pick up a pen that could supposedly give you a "hairy hand".

I find that with these weird cases I remember the oddball fact patterns better than the actual disposition of law in the case.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out I have one more FP here....

How about $495 delivered in the US via UPS Ground, and your choice of nib!

Thanks,

Bill Riepl