Sailor Kiraguro Nano Carbon Black Ink

dcwaites

Does anyone know the pH of this ink?

Also, has anyone performed the "bulletproof" tests on it?

A. Haven't tested it, but almost certainly neutral, since it's a suspension rather than a solution.

B. Not formally, but I have not discovered any method of lifting more than a trace of pigment from most papers which doesn't also tear up the paper. A priori, one can say that there is no way of making carbon particles vanish or change colour which would not affect the paper first, e.g., setting it on fire.

Thanks for the answer. I definitely want to try some of this ink. Since so many people want to try this ink, but many don't want to pay for a bottle; perhaps, we could collectively buy and split a bottle. Any takers? I'm in.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neill78

• Rob G

• nofa

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, during my review of Noodler's Coral Sea Blue-Black --

post-9467-1227333167.jpg

The black ink is Sailor Kiraguro. It survived the four solvents - bleach, ammonia, alcohol and water, better than the Coral Sea.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

post-9467-1227333167.jpg

The black ink is Sailor Kiraguro. It survived the four solvents - bleach, ammonia, alcohol and water, better than the Coral Sea.

Yep, very cool. Thanks.

After reading this thread I decided I really wanted to try this ink, so I've purchased a bottle (Swisher currently has it in stock and may still have their Memorial day sale on if you read this today). Thanks to everyone for the excellent commentary.

Has anyone tried this in a Lamy 2K (EF)? Another option may be my Sheaffer Legacy or Imperial (EF). For some reason I'm hesitant to put it in the Pelikan 400s.... although the Reform sitting here might be a perfect safe choice for addressing envelopes, etc.

Rick

After reading this thread I decided I really wanted to try this ink, so I've purchased a bottle (Swisher currently has it in stock and may still have their Memorial day sale on if you read this today). Thanks to everyone for the excellent commentary.

I ordered a bottle from Swisher during the Memorial Day sale, too. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

A. Haven't tested it, but almost certainly neutral, since it's a suspension rather than a solution.

B. Not formally, but I have not discovered any method of lifting more than a trace of pigment from most papers which doesn't also tear up the paper. A priori, one can say that there is no way of making carbon particles vanish or change colour which would not affect the paper first, e.g., setting it on fire.

How do you test the pH of ink? I assume you couldn't use any litmus type test. Would one need a meter, or is a cheaper method available?

A brief note to say I got my bottle today and look forward to trying out this ink. Not sure which pen I'll try it in but I'm leaning towards the Lamy 2000, but perhaps the Sheaffer Legacy. I'm thinking of this as a possible go-to ink for addressing envelopes and for some signatures that need a solid and permanent touch.

Cheers,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
A brief note to say I got my bottle today and look forward to trying out this ink. Not sure which pen I'll try it in but I'm leaning towards the Lamy 2000, but perhaps the Sheaffer Legacy. I'm thinking of this as a possible go-to ink for addressing envelopes and for some signatures that need a solid and permanent touch.

Cheers,

Rick

It also works on thermal printed receipts!

And it works really well in a Lamy 2000.

Neill

• 1 year later...

Again, another interesting black ink! I like how the black is a very pure, thick

concoction that doesn't have as many different elements in it.

• 2 months later...

Group,

Here are some follow up questions for the group:

1. do you know if the particles in suspension will clog some fountain pens? Meaning, should i only use this in my 2nd tier pens only?

2. Where is the cheapest place to buy this from on the internet?

Thanks.

-Jonathan

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Group,

Here are some follow up questions for the group:

1. do you know if the particles in suspension will clog some fountain pens? Meaning, should i only use this in my 2nd tier pens only?

2. Where is the cheapest place to buy this from on the internet?

Thanks.

-Jonathan

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Of the very few blacks I have this is my favorite. I would love to see if anyone has been using this ink exclusively in any one pen and how it has handled it over the past couple years?

Of the very few blacks I have this is my favorite. I would love to see if anyone has been using this ink exclusively in any one pen and how it has handled it over the past couple years?

I've had the Kiraguro ink in an M600 OS for most of two years, continual service, and regular use (a pen can sit full of ink and not be used). The ink's been nothing less than a dream, smooth, clean application and drying. I have no hitches, glitches, or other issues of any kind.

For me, this has been the very best behaved black ink that I have used.

John P.

Hi Jonathan,

I've been using the Nano Black in a Pilot VP and a Sailor Prof Gear Reala, both with fine nibs. I haven't run into any clogging. It doesn't strike me as a particularly wet ink, but it seems nicely lubricated.

As John P and D-Chef say, very well-behaved---and my current favorite black, too.

Cheers,

Marc

When you say "black" to a printer in "big business" the word is almost meaningless, so innumerable are its meanings. To the craftsman, on the other hand, black is simply the black he makes --- the word is crammed with meaning: he knows the stuff as well as he knows his own hand. --- Eric Gill

In the event of clogging, though, could just a water flush work?

Edit: although I think that the particle size is probably small enough to not cause clogging, since they would have to avoid clogging in the finer Japanese nibs? :hmm1:

Edited by eds

I bought a few cartridges of this ink for a Sailor that is too small for converters, and was considering selling. This ink and pen combination are now my absolute favorites.

I love the way it looks, the way it smells, the way it tastes.

Shut up and Write!

Thanks for the review.I've been tempted by this stuff for some time. And I'm getting more tempted as time goes on.

Chris B.

• 1 month later...

I've now used this ink for a week or two and it's an absolute dream. I like the crazy idea of a particle ink in your fountain pen.

I've used it in a sailor 1911 realo, classic, naginata togi, cross concord, pelikan 1931 and 1935, Visconti le wall street old style pilot vp and a bad nibbed omas extra paragon.

This in improves/smoothens the writing of all pens, even the supersmooth naginata togi.

Ink is really waterproof.

Cacoethes scribendi