Vintage Japanese Demonstrator

sumgaikid

While in my Parker 51 period about 4 or 5 years ago,I picked up this pen on fleabay thinking that maybe I had won a

Parker 51 demonstrator. When I received it,even as a novice I could tell that it wasn't a 51 demonstrator at all. At the

time I thought that I had spent too much money for it and just put it away. Having been in this forum for a little while,I

have rethought my position on the pen and decided to post some pics of it to get an idea of who made it,when it was

made(my guess--in the 50's)and some opinions on it.

Here is the pen capped:

Here is the "Phoenix Special no. 3" nib:

The inscription on the side reads "HO+PE(N?)

Just underneath that--------------"Made in Japan

And underneath that--------------"Tokyodo"

(It is hard to see the inscription,hence the info):

I look forward to getting the info on it,and my thanks in advance to those who can tell me what it is.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• sumgaikid

• Pentangeli

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!

Wonderful pen. In Japan, the term demonstrator is not used and very few true demonstrators were made. For clear see-through pens like yours the term 'skeleton pen' is used. Like yours, most have plated nibs. although, I've seen one of two with 14K. Your pen looks like it's in excellent condition and will be a real eye-catcher when you take it to work.

They seemed to be relatively popular in the early 1950s and they have gotten harder and harder to find in such good condition. Made by many companies, they have as many brand names. If you're lucky you find with the name of the maker. I've seen Platinum, Rieyon, Platon, Victor, and a few others.

As a suggestion, do not use red ink unless you like a pink pen. Stick with blue as it is the easiest to clean.

Regards.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Congratulations!

Wonderful pen. In Japan, the term demonstrator is not used and very few true demonstrators were made. For clear see-through pens like yours the term 'skeleton pen' is used. Like yours, most have plated nibs. although, I've seen one of two with 14K. Your pen looks like it's in excellent condition and will be a real eye-catcher when you take it to work.

They seemed to be relatively popular in the early 1950s and they have gotten harder and harder to find in such good condition. Made by many companies, they have as many brand names. If you're lucky you find with the name of the maker. I've seen Platinum, Rieyon, Platon, Victor, and a few others.

As a suggestion, do not use red ink unless you like a pink pen. Stick with blue as it is the easiest to clean.

Regards.

Stan,

Thanks for your information! I had forgotten(tho' I've seen the term here before)that they were called skeleton pens. Is

the name as I put it (HOPE?)correct? Also what is the reference to Tokyodo?

Forgot to mention--the pressbar in the filler is missing. Can one be made for it?

John

Tokyodo means 'Tokyo Store'. Likely, meaning nothing more than they were made in Tokyo. Hope is probably a brand name and the pens was sold in numerous stationary outlets.

If the press bar is gone, you most likely will need a new sac and casing, as they were often attached inside the casing. It is hard to figure how the squeezebar could be missing. I have seen it possible to work a few out from the opening in the casing. They can be salvaged from other pens but, usually the squeezebars and casings for the skeleton pens were larger than those of standard models. I have some where there is less than the width of paper between the casing and the inside of the barrel.

Keep looking around. You might find one on Yahoo Japan. Or, if you can send me some dimensions I'll look and see if I have a spare or two. It is an easy fix.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Tokyodo means 'Tokyo Store'. Likely, meaning nothing more than they were made in Tokyo. Hope is probably a brand name and the pens was sold in numerous stationary outlets.

If the press bar is gone, you most likely will need a new sac and casing, as they were often attached inside the casing. It is hard to figure how the squeezebar could be missing. I have seen it possible to work a few out from the opening in the casing. They can be salvaged from other pens but, usually the squeezebars and casings for the skeleton pens were larger than those of standard models. I have some where there is less than the width of paper between the casing and the inside of the barrel.

Keep looking around. You might find one on Yahoo Japan. Or, if you can send me some dimensions I'll look and see if I have a spare or two. It is an easy fix.

Thanks,Stan. I'll get the dimensions and give you a message.

John

• 2 years later...

Hello Stan,

I have a vintage Japanese which was bought at a flea market in one of the suburbs of Manila, Philippines.

fpn_1301820934__r14_platinum_3.jpg

It's a Platinum fountain pen with a clear plastic barrel with a "Made in Japan" imprint.

fpn_1301821235__r14_platinum_9.jpg

The gold anodized cap has a clip very similar to the vintage Parker Arrow with an imprint of "R14 Platinum".

fpn_1301821333__r14_platinum_21.jpg

It has an aerometric ink filler or pump with "Platinum" Superior Quality imprinted on the Press Bar. I have inked it and it writes beautifully from a fine to about a B due to its medium flex nib. Is the aerometric filler removable or is it permanently attached? In case I need to replace the clear plastic ink sac.

fpn_1301821407__r14_platinum_15.jpg

The nib looks to be originally gold plated but now it's all silvery in color and imprinted with Platinum 10 Years, S*N inside a Globe, Iridium, JIS, <5>. The nib is not attracted to a magnet when I tested it so might it be of palladium or another alloy?.

fpn_1301821511__r14_platinum_25.jpg

In your wide experience and knowledge of vintage Japanese fountain pens, would you please let me know when this pen was manufactured and any relevant information you might have about this pen. Oh, there is another one owned by a friend of mine which is exactly like this pen but instead with a clear cap and clear barrel.

Thank you,

J.P.

You pen was made in the early 1950s. As it has a squeeze filler, I'd place it to 1954 or 1955 as the JIS stamp on the nib was introduced in 1953. Lever fillers were made too. The barrel, cap, and gold clip was a standard platform for a range of pens, including those of carved silver. As I recall Platinum used two, maybe three, slightly different clip designs, all with the arrow. The nib is stainless steel. If you ever remove it, there is a number below the JIS mark. Looks to be a <3>, That was, I believe, the standard size for the model. Gold nibs

They are good pens. Nibs write well and should be smooth. A keeper!!!

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Hi Stan,

I appreciate your quick reply and for the information you provided about my Platinum pen. I have removed the nib and the number under the JIS mark is a <5> and not a <3>. There were still traces of yellow gold plating under the nib that goes into the section. It does write smooth and quite wet too. I still don't know why the nib is not attracted to magnets but it could be because stainless steel might not be attracted to magnets. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Thanks,

J.P.