• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Onion

• Apollo

• Larry T

• Goodwhiskers

I have a Duke Mako and I've been very pleased with it's performance. It's the only Duke pen I've ever used, but it's an extremely well manufactured pen. Duke is "supposedly" a joint German/Chinese venture. Rick Conner of penspotters suggests the German partner is Staedtler.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Hi Johnny.

I have three Duke pens and I have been very pleased with their performance. Mine are all cheaper models,(Copper Temple, Stainless 209, and Mini Torpedo) but they don't write like cheap pens at all. The only complaint I have is with the Mini Torpedo, the cap will not post no matter how I try. It is just long enough to use unposted, but I think it would be better posted.

Larry

I own a Duke Sapphire and it writes nice. I didn't really like the design after getting it. Kind of girly for a football coach. LOL It does write smoothe.

Hi Johnny.

I have three Duke pens and I have been very pleased with their performance. Mine are all cheaper models,(Copper Temple, Stainless 209, and Mini Torpedo) but they don't write like cheap pens at all. The only complaint I have is with the Mini Torpedo, the cap will not post no matter how I try. It is just long enough to use unposted, but I think it would be better posted.

Larry

I've had very good luck with these pens. I have 2 Copper Temples and a Mini Torpedo that is one of my favorites. The Copper Temples look of competent manufacture but they don't have the fit and finish of a fine pen. I use them quite a bit, with Noodler's Habanero Orange in one, Noodler's Shah's Rose in another. I keep Noodler's Antietam Red reserved for the Mini.

The Mini Torpedo does have a very nice fit and finish to it. I think it's one of the nicest smallish pens that doesn't cost allot. Norman Haas of HisNibs has posted a bit of information in the "Marketplace" section of FPN that describes how best to post the cap on the mini. He sells them as well. I've tried it and it worked nicely but can't quite think of the procedure on that now.

I love those Mako's Apollo! :)

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• 6 years later...

I just got a Duke 'In memory of Chaplin' fountain

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/2308212894314040_1.jpg

It was pretty cheap, really, at about £12 + PP, so it looks great for the money and it has a nice weight and definite lid action.

Writes smoothly - nothing special or luxurious, but the nib is well made and performs well enough.

I actually prefer it to all my school fountain pens, because it's actually wide and heavy enough, hurrah!

However,

1) the ink reservoir taps noisily against the inside of the barrel if the pen is tapped or spun,

2) the barrel screw thread is a bit naff - care must be taken to seat it correctly at first

3) it's not got quite enough ink flow to give it that velvet feel

4) the grip section is short, so it's not as comfy as it could have been

5) if the cap is posted it's dreadful

Overall I do like this pen - the width and weight make it more comfortable than my cheap Cross pen and it is distinctive, and quite classy.

For the money it's great and I would recommend it as a daily note jotter for someone with big hands.

What I find slightly frustrating is that when the cap on the pen, closed, the pen is perfectly weighted in my hand, and more comfortable than the really expensive competition.

So it's really tempting to saw the end off the cap, removing the clip with it, and try writing with the nib poking out of the shoulder of the closed cap.

I bought a number of Dukes when I first started collecting, but I guess I had worse luck than other commenters did. Here are the pens I can remember and comment on.

The Copper Temple felt a little cheap to me and the nib was far too scratchy. Back then I didn't know anything about smoothing nibs, so I moved the pen to my Sell Eventually case. But since I'm the odd one out, apparently, my pen's nib was probably atypical. I had one Duke that came with a regular Fine and a Fude (I think that's what they're called--?) nib, but the Fine didn't write well, and I found I rarely wanted to use the Fude(?) nib, so that also now resides in my Sell Eventually case. I also tried the Sapphire, but I didn't like the design--specifically, the hearts--enough to keep the pen. Its femininity didn't bother me, though, as I'm a woman. ;) Ditto the Sell Eventually.

The Duke Ruby, for me, is a different story altogether. It was one of the very first pens I bought, and it's still in my collection and in use. It feels solid and well-made, and it's a nice writer, smooth with a fair amount of feedback. I think its design is a LOT cooler than the Sapphire's. I'm happy to have the Duke Ruby.

That's my $.02.

best

eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

Ive had a few Dukes in my time as well, but I have to say my favorite by far was the Duke Ruby. The red "gem" at the top did fall out for me after about a year of use, but it still works well. I have since then fitted mine with a semi-flex waterman #5 nib. It is now one of my favorite pens.

I own a number of Duke Fountain pens myself including the 209 Matte Black and was very impressed with it so I actually added 2 more on Tuesday to my collection direct from the wholesaler in Shanghai. So far they are very reliable and that their convertors are among the best I have seen on chinese pens. I have the printed catalogue with me so if anyone needs a RRP so to check if they have overpaid I will try my best to get you the RRP.

Which ones are you considering?

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Duke at one point was coming out with many cutting edge pens and we used to sell a ton of them.

To my knowledge they have not came out with anything worth selling recently and they discontinued just about all the good models. I only have a few models left at this point and the future does not look good for them.

Edited by isellpens

• 2 weeks later...

I own a number of Duke Fountain pens myself including the 209 Matte Black and was very impressed with it so I actually added 2 more on Tuesday to my collection direct from the wholesaler in Shanghai. So far they are very reliable and that their convertors are among the best I have seen on chinese pens. I have the printed catalogue with me so if anyone needs a RRP so to check if they have overpaid I will try my best to get you the RRP.

Which ones are you considering?

Perhaps you will allow me to also participate in this subject? What I am considering are 4 types: first the 900 series, the 903, 907 and 908, and also the beautiful white D07. These all look very good, very well-made, some great designs aesthetically, but I wonder if they write as well as they look! Also re: the nibs, do these Dukes run to the fine end of the spectrum? Would a medium in any of these be considered, more or less, a fine in the West? Thanks in advance for letting me in. Breck

• 5 years later...

I just received a Duke Sapphire yesterday - I'm completely blown away. It required no adjustment out of the box and writes beautifully.

It's drop dead gorgeous (this is subjective of course. I love the vintage or vintage style overlaid pens and this is probably the closest I'll get for a while that is in my budget.), well made, and the packaging is really something else, especially considering the price.

Considering it's a $30 pen, I was gobsmacked when I opened the box. I'm totally impressed with the quality and the design (from a functional standpoint, things like the snap cap, the way it snaps to post, the cap liner).