Pilot Stella 90s

Bananafish

Form

This nifty little pen comes in the usual Pilot hard-plastic case with booklet, cartridge and converter (Pilot Con-50). Like the Prera it also takes the Con-20. A seller told me the Stella 90s would also take the Con-70, but I haven't got a 70 on hand so cannot confirm that.

The Stella bears other similarities to the Prera in shape, size, and silvery trimmings. Unlike the plastic-bodied Prera, however, the Stella is dressed in pearly-painted brass casing. If I recall correctly the promotional material says that the finish is studded with pearls to resemble the stars in the sky, or something to that effect; hence the name Stella. Available colors are red, white, blue, and black.

Like all Pilot products, this one is well-finished and solidly constructed. As you can see from the attached photos the Stella is a small pen comparable to the Sailor Sapporo, or the Pelikan 400 in size; but I suspect it'd properly dwarf the Pelikan 300. I don't have with me my Sailor Minis or PG full-sized else they'd probably contrast better; hopefully, the ubiquitous Safaries work as a size-comparison.

Due to its metal casing, the Stella weights slightly more than the rest shown in the photo below except one. It has a tiny bit of heft compare to the others, but hardly noticeable to me. Actually, I find it feels solid and compact in use; a good feel. I weighted them all using a postal scale; they may not be exact, but I also use the postal scale to weight cooking ingredients, and so far haven't had any accident in the kitchen.

1/ Stella - 1.0 oz (un-inked with con-50)

2/ Prera - 0.6 oz (un-inked with con-20)

3/ Sapporo - 0.6 oz (un-inked with converter)

4/ Safari - 0.6 oz (ink half-full; yeep I'm the half-full kind)

5/ Pelikan 400 - 0.7 oz (un-inked)

Function

From experience, I've not been disappointed by a Pilot nib before and this one is no exception. The nib is 14k rhodium plated. I pick the F for this Stella, and it writes like an F; comparable to other Pilot F in line-width I suppose. Incidentally, I was surprised by the Prera F since it wrote more like an XXF; but that was a nice surprise. If you can see from my writing sample the Pelikan 400 EF writes broader that the Stella F, ditto Safari F.

I would say the nib is responsively smooth instead of buttery smooth; meaning one can actually feel every stroke on the paper instead of the nib just gliding over the paper. I prefer responsive smooth. I suspect though the nib might be a bit catchy on rougher paper. Also, the nib is fairly rigid, but not nail-hard like the Prera. The feel is closer to the Sapporo and Pelikan 400; slightly springy not flexible.

All in all, I like the Stella in both form and function. I wonder though if I may be better off picking a darker color. The sparkling white makes me hesitate in using it without washing my hands, even though its glossy surface would probably repel any kind of staining. The pearly white color doesn't show up well on my photos but anyways. I've received lots of helpful information reading this forum I hope this brief review might in turn be helpful to someone who's interested in the Stella 90s.

----------------------------

post-15894-1210708800_thumb.jpg

post-15894-1210708835_thumb.jpg

post-15894-1210709221_thumb.jpg

post-15894-1210709264_thumb.jpg

post-15894-1210709269_thumb.jpg

post-15894-1210709274_thumb.jpg

post-15894-1210709279_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bananafish

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bananafish

• aka

• churl

• I am not a number

Thank you very much for the informative review!! Now I have better idea how big Stella is. I also see Sapporo is about the same size as Prera. Beatuful collection :wub: Thanks again :thumbup:

Thank you very much for the informative review!! Now I have better idea how big Stella is. I also see Sapporo is about the same size as Prera. Beatuful collection :wub: Thanks again :thumbup:

Thanks Taki! I like my pens colorful :D

Great review, it was informative and detailed. Thanks! And unfortunately, the stella cannot use a Con-70 because it is simply too short to accommodate the converter.

Edited by Immoteus

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

Thanks for the review. I was looking at the Stella just now!

:puddle: I love the shot of the three white pens together :)

Also: :puddle: Those Sapporo's... colorful... bright... I WANT!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." - Douglas Adams

Excellent review. Very helpful especially with the comparisons. I liked that you included the weights of the various pens, too. Nice pictures!

As a review the only critcism (hopefully constructive) I would have would be that you state which pens were which. I figured it out from dumdummuoi's post but newbies might have a hard time with that.

Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

Cedar

Darn! I was hoping the metal in the pen would rule it out for me. I like the pearly color. Very nice.

Nice review and I'm not looking at that pink Sapporo, I'm not, I'm not.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I was hoping there would soon be a review of the Stella. Thanks for the great review and pictures. This is a very nice-looking pen, and I like the white finish and silver trim. Your collection is gorgeous! :thumbup:

Nice review. I love that you included so many other pens for a size comparison. I was surprised to see that the pen looks the smaller than the Prera, and that's going to be a deal breaker for me, but it's good to know.

However, what I really enjoyed about the review was all the colorful Sapporo's and the LE Pelikan M400. What a great collection!

Thanks all for the kind words, and suggestions!

Cedar – Good idea; I'll append a caption to the photo. I'd thought the pens shown were not uncommon and didn't want to be presumptuous or redundant.

aka – It's thinner than the Sapporo. Since you mentioned it, I gripped and held them both again while paying more attention, and the Sapporo seemed to offer a more comfortable grip due to its chunkier middle section. Although it's not something noticeable if you don't pay attention.

KCat – the silver trim really complement the vivid pinkness of the Sapporo, and it looks much better up close. :P

Very useful review which gives all the information I could want!

Thanks for the photo's and writing samples (an innovative use of Joyce's Ulysses). The pen is smaller than I had thought (too small for me) but would make a great gift...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Thanks Bananafish. I'd just been looking at these too and your review is really helpful. I like your choice of the white. Though from your photos, the Sapporo somehow has the very slight edge - what a pity the white one doesn't come with a chrome trim.

I have recently realised that I can't bring myself to use ink that is mismatched to the pen, hence the interest in a neutral coloured pen.

Thanks Bananafish. I'd just been looking at these too and your review is really helpful. I like your choice of the white. Though from your photos, the Sapporo somehow has the very slight edge - what a pity the white one doesn't come with a chrome trim.

I have recently realised that I can't bring myself to use ink that is mismatched to the pen, hence the interest in a neutral coloured pen.

I'd agree the Sapporo does have the edge - mainly in terms of grip and look, and maybe value too. In terms of use - putting ink to paper, I don't find much difference between the two. But if I can only pick one between these two I'd pick the Sapporo. I'm not saying the Stella is an inferior pen; I like it a lot, but then I like short pen in metal casing or just short pen in general.

Hey if you want to know the gold trim actually doesn't look too bad with the ivory Sapporo; I was apprehensive about it too at first, but have since changed my mind. But then if you like chrome trim, you like chrome trim :)

BTW, I can't seem to edit or add to the review so just want to add here that the Stella 90s has a slide and snap-on cap - exactly like in the Prera's.