Osmiroid Music Nib Looks Like a Sketch Nib

FlexiCat

I have an Osmiroid sketch nib and a music nib. The music nib looks like an italic nib, though its confirmation is a bit different, having long tines. I found an Osmiroid 65 in an antiques market with what I thought on first sight to be a sketch nib. Since they are not common, I bought the pen. Interestingly, when I looked at it with a magnifier, I discovered the nib was marked "Music Pen". This nib is not shown on the Osmiroid nib chart that I found on the Internet. Only the sketch nib and the long-tined music nib are shown. Has anyone else found a nib that looks like the sketch nib with the little reservoir over the nib but is marked "Music Pen"?

International Flexographic Society

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FlexiCat

• Treet

• Univer

• ralphawilson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

While we wait for an expert to stop by, I'll share what little I know.

I've owned two different styles of Osmiroid music nib: one a three-tine design, and the other a two-tine design (as you describe - essentially an Italic nib with lengthened tines).

I've had only one specimen of the three-tine nib, and that one, sadly, was irremediably clogged with India Ink. If it ever had an "overfeed" collector in the manner of the sketch nib, that piece had been lost before the nib came my way. (The nib was in generally poor condition; if someone had told me that it had a part missing, that statement wouldn't have shocked me.) Is your collector nib a three-tine?

I became aware of the two-tine model years later; I found another music nib online, and purchased it sight unseen. When it arrived, I was surprised - and mildly disappointed - to discover that it was the two-tine version. I'm no longer sure how I came to the conclusion, but I uncritically assumed that the three-tine design was earlier than the two-tine design.

Since the sketch nib was made in a version with collector and a version sans collector, it wouldn't be surprising to find out that the music nib was also offered in both configurations.

(I should make it clear that I'm talking, here, about the older screw-in nib units, not the later interchangeable sections.)

Hope there's something helpful in all of that!

Cheers,

Jon

The Osmiroid music nibs that I have are all the 2 tine nibs shown on this ad from the 1970s. The sketch nib is shown, too. I haven't seen a 3 tine music nib as yet.

Best, Ann

The music nib I described in my initiating post is in appearance a sketch nib with the words MUSIC PEN stampled just between the reservoir and the end of the nib and looks identical to the drawing of the sketch nib in the chart you posted, above. It has only two tines. The only Osmiroid nibs I have or have ever seen having anything like three tines are the broad italics. I did not know Osmiroid ever made a three-tined music nib. Thanks for the information!

By the way, I have a copperplate screw-in nib, also shown on your chart, but it is quite stiff and sharp. I have to be careful when using it to avoid jamming the point into even the hardest papers. I found a new style Osmiroid calligraphy set (with the entire section exchangable rather than only the nib unit as in the 65's and 75's). The set included a copperplate nib. It is so far superior to the screw-in copperplate nib, that I am no longer using the screw-in nib.

Hi,

Interesting that both the sketch nib and the music nib came in two different configurations: with and without collector, in the case of the former, and two- and three-tine, in the case of the latter.

I regret to say that I no longer have the three-tine music nib. It is, I believe, the one and only nib that I have tossed into the trash - along with the non-functional pen it was screwed into - in a fit of pique.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi,

Interesting that both the sketch nib and the music nib came in two different configurations: with and without collector, in the case of the former, and two- and three-tine, in the case of the latter.

I regret to say that I no longer have the three-tine music nib. It is, I believe, the one and only nib that I have tossed into the trash - along with the non-functional pen it was screwed into - in a fit of pique.

Cheers,

Jon

I reached into my Osmiroid "collection" and found three different music nibs: the long 2-tine version (unplated), which I think was billed as the one designed by the composer Benjamin Britten, the one that looks identical to the sketch nib with the collector ("gold" plated), and a three-tine version (also plated) which seems to be an inverted collector design - the three tine nib rides on an inner metal piece that wraps around the plastic feed. When I was writing music by hand, none of these worked as well for me as the classical three-tine music nib that I have for my Higgins Pengraphic (an inexpensive piston pen that came with both india ink (stylographic) and fountain pen nibs.

Sholom

• 2 months later...

Very informative posts! Just getting interested in Osmiroid, since I received my first today~ a calligraphy set, with three nibs, and one ink cartridge~ the ink converter was missing. Writes like a dream. Will other cartridges will fit this? Have I made a mistake getting it without converter being included?

Treet

Very informative posts! Just getting interested in Osmiroid, since I received my first today~ a calligraphy set, with three nibs, and one ink cartridge~ the ink converter was missing. Writes like a dream. Will other cartridges will fit this? Have I made a mistake getting it without converter being included?

With my collection of Osmiroid pens, I use Manuscript ink cartridges which fit perfectly.

With my collection of Osmiroid pens, I use Manuscript ink cartridges which fit perfectly.

Thanks so much. I will search for them.

Treet

Thanks so much. I will search for them.

Discovered Panache cartridges fit also. With a few phone calls, not difficult to locate. Seeking immediate gratification, somewhat.:) I was only able to locate Manuscript via the net, the Big M store did not have them anymore, said they were discontinued.

Treet

• 7 months later...

this comment for univer. Regarding the clogged Nib, I've found with my nibs that if they have not been cleaned for a while and the ink is seemingly impossible to clear, Try soaking the nibs in a mildly deluded household clorox cleaning solution for an hour or so, then wash out the nib. I cleaned a few nibs today that I had missed placed a couple of years ago, applied the process explained above and wal-la, they are clean as a whistle. I tested the nibs after the cleaning and they worked perfectly. Good luck and I hope this helps. ( kalignut Out)

Hi there,

While we wait for an expert to stop by, I'll share what little I know.

I've owned two different styles of Osmiroid music nib: one a three-tine design, and the other a two-tine design (as you describe - essentially an Italic nib with lengthened tines).

I've had only one specimen of the three-tine nib, and that one, sadly, was irremediably clogged with India Ink. If it ever had an "overfeed" collector in the manner of the sketch nib, that piece had been lost before the nib came my way. (The nib was in generally poor condition; if someone had told me that it had a part missing, that statement wouldn't have shocked me.) Is your collector nib a three-tine?

I became aware of the two-tine model years later; I found another music nib online, and purchased it sight unseen. When it arrived, I was surprised - and mildly disappointed - to discover that it was the two-tine version. I'm no longer sure how I came to the conclusion, but I uncritically assumed that the three-tine design was earlier than the two-tine design.

Since the sketch nib was made in a version with collector and a version sans collector, it wouldn't be surprising to find out that the music nib was also offered in both configurations.

(I should make it clear that I'm talking, here, about the older screw-in nib units, not the later interchangeable sections.)

Hope there's something helpful in all of that!

Cheers,

Jon

Thought you might like to see the 3 tine music nib on an Osmiriod 65 bought off ebay a few months back. I presume the "extra" bit behind the nib is the collector referred to?

Hope this helps/ informs.

Nigel

post-10221-1230398799_thumb.jpg

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

• 4 months later...

I have a Osmiroid sketch nib which I've happily been using on an Estie. I've wondered what is the function of that "collector" thingie on top--can someone fill me in?

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

I have a Osmiroid sketch nib which I've happily been using on an Estie. I've wondered what is the function of that "collector" thingie on top--can someone fill me in?

That little thing is a reservoir to hold ink. When drawing with a pen, the user may make rapid, long lines or many short lines in quick succession. Without the reservoir, the ink flow would be insufficient.

Edited by FlexiCat

That little thing is a reservoir to hold ink. When drawing with a pen, the user may make rapid, long lines or many short lines in quick succession. Without the reservoir, the ink flow would be insufficient.

Thanks!

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon