Noodler's Ellis Island (FPH Exclusive)

girlieg33k

http://i28.tinypic.com/155ksg5.jpg

This is what I was looking at last night. It's done with a paintbrush, not a qtip. This looks more grey in the scan than in real life.

Edited by Celeste

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Celeste

• Garageboy

• girlieg33k

• captnemo

Girlieg33k, thanks for the review. I have this ink and like its look very much. However, when I loaded my Parker 51 with it the Parker skips and drys out. I tried ot for several days and finally out of frustration I removed it from the pen and loaded it into a Duke Esteem. It works well in the Esteem. So I would not classify it as a free flowing ink. I'm discovering that Noodler's inks only work well in wet writers. Any one else have this problem?

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle at FPH and like the color quite a bit. I have it in a "51" aero with a fine nib and it works great - let it sit for a week unused and it fired up first stroke, but admittedly this "51" is a workhorse pen that I restored and it has a very even flow, I haven't had an ink NOT work in it actually.

I also used it in a Pilot Murex with the typical EF japanese nib and related good but not gushing flow, and it worked well in that pen as well.

It is a neat shade and quite different from Noodlers Blue Black, Aircorps and Legal Lapis. I don't see any green in it and it definitely is lighter than Blue Black, which to me definitely looks more black than anything else.

I ran a sheet under some running water and one component washed away but another component of the Ellis Island remained unmarred. Basically similar performance to Blue Black and Aircorps.

I use a lot of blue blacks and this may be my favorite thus far from Waterman, Namiki, PR Midnight Blues, and the Noodlers versions mentioned above.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I picked up a bottle at FPH and like the color quite a bit. I have it in a "51" aero with a fine nib and it works great - let it sit for a week unused and it fired up first stroke, but admittedly this "51" is a workhorse pen that I restored and it has a very even flow, I haven't had an ink NOT work in it actually.

I also used it in a Pilot Murex with the typical EF japanese nib and related good but not gushing flow, and it worked well in that pen as well.

It is a neat shade and quite different from Noodlers Blue Black, Aircorps and Legal Lapis. I don't see any green in it and it definitely is lighter than Blue Black, which to me definitely looks more black than anything else.

I ran a sheet under some running water and one component washed away but another component of the Ellis Island remained unmarred. Basically similar performance to Blue Black and Aircorps.

I use a lot of blue blacks and this may be my favorite thus far from Waterman, Namiki, PR Midnight Blues, and the Noodlers versions mentioned above.

quote end

i think legal lapis by noodlers (pendomonium) is a great colour and noodlers bullet proof inks are fantastic for permanency but i still think for that "old style" blue black, you just have to use the iron gall inks, of which diamine registrars ink is a superb example, the colour just has that extra something !

dave

Edited by dave321

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
http://i29.tinypic.com/2lbibgj.jpg

As you can see, this is very different that the earlier scans.

I love this ink! Great lubrication, great flow, high saturation, little shading, and relatively quick drying time. It's very dark, even with an EF nib.

Although my bottle is much more of a dark gray with very slight undertones of blue/green. Much closer to the above scan than that of the original review.

• 2 months later...

I received my bottle of Ellis Island last week and it looks like the above scan. I have it in an F nib pen so maybe that's why. I was hoping for a deeper blue as found in the first image so needless to say, I am disappointed and will probably trade it.