Can You Identify These Cross Fountain Pens?

dwstern

Hello!

I wonder if anyone can identify the model of these two Cross fountain pens, which I picked up on eBay? They look a lot like Century IIs, but I havent seen any with that pattern of engraving anywhere else. And I might be wrong about the model. Asking partly out of curiosity, and partly in case the nibs are so far gone they need to be replaced.

Many thanks in anticipation,

David

post-148052-0-01479300-1549701747_thumb.jpeg

post-148052-0-01960500-1549701760_thumb.jpeg

post-148052-0-99595900-1549701771_thumb.jpeg

post-148052-0-03573800-1549701782_thumb.jpeg

post-148052-0-08545000-1549701793_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwstern

• Bo Bo Olson

• MisterSheaffer

• WLSpec

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first impression is some sort of Townsend.

Very nice looking pens...is there a silver hall mark?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks both!

My first impression is some sort of Townsend.

Very nice looking pens...is there a silver hall mark?

I don't think Townsend because they don't have the double ridge at the base of the cap, but they are pretty. No hallmark that I can see. Thanks!

They are the Century II. I have the one on the left and it was listed as 'engraved chrome' when I purchased it.

Great to hear that - thank you very much. Nice to have something a little unusual, even if they're not rare or anything particularly out of the ordinary.

Anyone recognize the one on the right? :)

First glance said Townsend for me as well.. though the width of their bodies make them look a little more like centuries. I would lean Townsend, though.

Your pens are of the Cross Century II series, not the Cross Townsend series; due to the presence of the single middle ring, your pens are not of the classic Century series. Examining the profile for the Townsend series on the Cross pen site, https://www.cross.com/en/departments/writing-instruments/collections/townsend, you will see that your pens do not have the Townsend’s characteristic double middle rings. In addition, your pens are narrower than the Townsend.

Thanks for all the detective work everyone. They are not Townsends: I have a Cross Townsend (until recently my only FP), which as several of you wrote is fatter and has a double band at the base of the cap. MisterSheaffer's reply provided the clue to find this Cross Century II Engraved Chrome on Amazon, which is a perfect match for the one on the left. Bonus points and thank you again MisterSheaffer!

I think that's close enough - while I've not seen one with engraving/moulding like the one on the right, it's obviously another Century II, also in chrome of some kind, and I think the two go rather nicely as a pair. I received the package containing both these pens yesterday and cleaned them last night.They arrived without cartridges or converters (I've ordered a pair of Cross screw-in converters), but had a little residue ink left in the feeds (I think) and both write nicely, so I am pretty happy with my purchase.

Now to ink them and start a pen rotation! I have a bit of a learning curve to go up, having gone from one unused FP to four in a week, but all I can think at the moment is why did I not do this sooner! These things are terrific to write with.

:W2FPN:

I have a bit of a learning curve to go up, having gone from one unused FP to four in a week, but all I can think at the moment is why did I not do this sooner! These things are terrific to write with. :happyberet:

There is more to gin than I once thought too. Writing with any ball point, old fashioned, gel or hybrid or roller, is work.

Fountain pens, offer writing fun, artistic moments of nib width, flex, angle of grind....matched with a rainbow of inks, and paper actually matters as much as the inks.....one has one's 64 crayon box of inks.

Like I said about Gin, I have a bottle of Monkey 47, with 47 different herbs in it. It is a snifter glass gin, too floral to mix. With luck, occasionally learning can be fun. :unsure: If one writes at work..... :bunny01:don't tell anyone you are having fun writing while doing the work.................using a fountain pen....(develop lies why.) will get enough odd looks............with out being a weirdo, that actually enjoys writing.

Ball points and even roller balls are hard work.

Do remember to let the fountain pen rest where it wants, behind the big index knuckle. Don't strive to hold it at 45 degrees right after the big index knuckle, or at 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb....or if the pen is very long and or heavy rest in the pit of the web of the thumb at 35 degrees. Let it find it's won point of comfort. Different pens will rest at different angles.

Forcing it to be at some angle....requires pressure, which is not needed.

Let it rest.................while holding it very lightly like a baby featherless bird.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.