Opinions On Platinum Maki-E And Urushi Pens

City74

I was looking to add my first Maki-e or Urushi (possibly both) fountain pen to my growing collection. I saw a few vids on the Pilot pens with this artistry but really wasnt interested in paying that sort of money just to try a pen with the art. I ran across some Platinum pens that feather either Maki-e or Urushi and a few models with both. The Maki-e only pens are under $150 and the Urushi are under $200.

Anyone have either of these from Platinum? How do they stack up against some of the more expensive brands with this wonderful Japanese art?

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• City74

• SoulSamurai

• Aysedasi

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one Platinum modern make-i pen, so I can give you an opinion on that one.

The pen is acrylic/plastic so it is very light and quite small. The cranes over mount heron is a beautiful picture - it takes up the back of the pen - so posting is a no-no as it will probably damage the design.

The nib is the best thing on this pen. It is an 18K nib with a bit of spring to it - as such it is a delight to write with.

You do not get the slip & seal device that's used on the #3776, but you do get a much better nib.

The modern make-i is a pleasant writer.

I think the design is put on in a manner that is cheaper than traditional make-i - and there is no urushu lacquer on top, which is the expensive part.

The more traditional ones are made of heavier materials - wood or ebonite, and are more labour intensive to make.

I only have one Platinum modern make-i pen, so I can give you an opinion on that one.

The pen is acrylic/plastic so it is very light and quite small. The cranes over mount heron is a beautiful picture - it takes up the back of the pen - so posting is a no-no as it will probably damage the design.

The nib is the best thing on this pen. It is an 18K nib with a bit of spring to it - as such it is a delight to write with.

You do not get the slip & seal device that's used on the #3776, but you do get a much better nib.

The modern make-i is a pleasant writer.

I think the design is put on in a manner that is cheaper than traditional make-i - and there is no urushu lacquer on top, which is the expensive part.

The more traditional ones are made of heavier materials - wood or ebonite, and are more labour intensive to make.

Thank you for that. Yes I saw some have 18k nibs on them which is nice. I think the “new” type Maki-e is basically a screen print type design that is placed on the pen then part are filled. It’s not actually cut into the pen like the traditional style.

For a few more days you can back a kickstarter for an urushi pen for $300 I think: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894545538/umi-urushi-fountain-pens?ref=discovery_newest&term=Pen

I didn't back because this is not my area of interest, so I can't vouch for or recommend the project or anything like that (and remember Kickstarters always takes ages to deliver).

There are several "levels" of urushi and maki-e common in the pen world.

There are the mass produced ones that begin with a set of silk screens ( remember one silk screen for each color used ). These can often be the most detailed and colorful available.

Next is the group where a basic outline is silk screened and the colored in by studio artists. Often each artist only does one part of the design or one color and the pen is an assembly of work from several artists.

The next layer are the full studio designs where everything is done by hand but not by a single artist. These pens are often signed but by the name of the studio or association rather than an individual.

At the top, at least in prices, are those works done by a single artist. These will usually be signed and prices depend on the size of the canvass, the intricacy of the design and artwork and the reputation of the artist.

For a few more days you can back a kickstarter for an urushi pen for $300 I think: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894545538/umi-urushi-fountain-pens?ref=discovery_newest&term=Pen

I was very tempted by this pen.

Kickstarter is amazing. It lets people sell something before it's made. The good campaigns have prototypes created before they launch, but there's still delays one can't expect.

I backed another pen manufacture on Kickstarter and I love that pen. I'm always keeping an eye out for new and exciting pens on Kickstarter because I love to support creators who are just getting started.

petrichor

If it makes one feel better looking for a more value-oriented Urushi, I thought the pricey Namiki were darn-near industructable relative to coating toughness. My $1200 Namiki Urushi Vermillion #20 is a half-year old and just the other day I noticed where the cap lays on a surface as the clip stops it from further rotating I have a subtle but distinct scuff mark on the surface. It can only be seen when light is reflecting off that spot, not when looking straight on. As I write here now I noticed on the other side of the clip I have a similar scuff mark. In summary, as this pen is lain down on a surface it will rotate to the clip, one way or the other... so if laying horizontal the cap is always laying on 1 of 2 precise spots. Those are the spots with scuffs. I guess that is what I get for having this pen frequently laying on my leather mat. Nonetheless it is an amazing pen I write with daily. No regrets.

46070323215_96fde23532_m.jpg

43507893762_25d39ab0a8_k.jpg

I do dont Kickstarter

Fair enough, there's plenty of reasons to avoid it. I've been reasonably lucky so far myself; only one project I've backed has actually failed to deliver so far (a few never made their funding goals). I have heard horror stories however.

There are several "levels" of urushi and maki-e common in the pen world.

There are the mass produced ones that begin with a set of silk screens ( remember one silk screen for each color used ). These can often be the most detailed and colorful available.

Next is the group where a basic outline is silk screened and the colored in by studio artists. Often each artist only does one part of the design or one color and the pen is an assembly of work from several artists.

The next layer are the full studio designs where everything is done by hand but not by a single artist. These pens are often signed but by the name of the studio or association rather than an individual.

At the top, at least in prices, are those works done by a single artist. These will usually be signed and prices depend on the size of the canvass, the intricacy of the design and artwork and the reputation of the artist.

Excellent info. Thanks. I have a feeling one day one of the Pilot pens will be in my collection as I find them visually stunning

If it makes one feel better looking for a more value-oriented Urushi, I thought the pricey Namiki were darn-near industructable relative to coating toughness. My $1200 Namiki Urushi Vermillion #20 is a half-year old and just the other day I noticed where the cap lays on a surface as the clip stops it from further rotating I have a subtle but distinct scuff mark on the surface. It can only be seen when light is reflecting off that spot, not when looking straight on. As I write here now I noticed on the other side of the clip I have a similar scuff mark. In summary, as this pen is lain down on a surface it will rotate to the clip, one way or the other... so if laying horizontal the cap is always laying on 1 of 2 precise spots. Those are the spots with scuffs. I guess that is what I get for having this pen frequently laying on my leather mat. Nonetheless it is an amazing pen I write with daily. No regrets.

That’s a real beauty. Congrats

Just plain gorgeous! And not that plain either! :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Fair enough, there's plenty of reasons to avoid it. I've been reasonably lucky so far myself; only one project I've backed has actually failed to deliver so far (a few never made their funding goals). I have heard horror stories however.

I've only done one Kickstarter project (Loclen) and I waited an age for my pen - although not as long as some others. I'd be tempted to do another, but, if I'm honest, the pens in this one don't really attract me that much....

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I've only done one Kickstarter project (Loclen) and I waited an age for my pen - although not as long as some others. I'd be tempted to do another, but, if I'm honest, the pens in this one don't really attract me that much....

There's been very few "pen" kickstarters that were that interesting to me. Various "minimalist" titanium ballpoints, a heap of fountain pens that under all the marketing were just Bock nibs in a CNC-ed metal tube (nothing wrong with that if the price is right but not my thing), and right now there's a simple 3d printed fp with fancy names that they are asking $100+ for (madness!), like just the act of 3d printing makes it in any way better than a $5 Preppy (pretty sure it doesn't).

So this one, an urushi pen with interesting decoration for a not-insane price tag, is probably one of the more interesting kickstarter pens I've seen. Still not my thing.

I did go in on the dual-nib fountain pen a few weeks back, but it didn't meet it's funding goal.