The Official Gregg Pen

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is The Official Gregg Pen or The Gregg Fountain Pen, as shown in the March and June 1938 issues of The Gregg Writer. The 5 inch long slender flat top pen is made of black plastic with gold plated trim. The gold nib is stamped GREGG MADE IN U.S.A 14K and is ground specifically for writing Gregg Shorthand. The cap top shows the Gregg Emblem of intertwined ovals. The Gregg Publishing Company did not make pens, but licensed or contracted for pens from major manufacturers including Sheaffer, Esterbrook and Eversharp. Some Sheaffer models have the Gregg Shorthand symbol on the nib section to indicate the pen has a Shorthand nib. Though this pen has no maker's marks, it shows some Sheaffer made characteristics. The cap and barrel design and the design and positioning of the lever is very similar to Sheaffer slender flat top pens. The clip is nearly identical to the clip used on 1936-1937 WASP pens, made by Sheaffer. The feed is similar to the feed on some 1930s Balance pens. It sold for $4.25.
I used to think these pens were not made by Sheaffer, but I am inclined to believe this particular model is a Sheaffer.
Sheaffer also advertised in The Gregg Writer.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/Gregg_1280_05.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregamckinney

• PenHero

• Runnin_Ute

• RockingLR

Waterman also made a Gregg pen. An adapted 94, it would seem.

waterman_gregg.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

wow. I really like both of those. i've debated a gregg nibbed ester brook but may have to look into these just because I find them fascinating! and I'm contemplating learning gregg shorthand and it would make it mean more to have the "official" pen...may have to do some hunting :D

This is a poor photo of the Eversharp Gregg pen. It has a tiny enamel logo on the top like the Sheaffer version does.

eversharp_gregg.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

wow. I really like both of those. i've debated a gregg nibbed ester brook but may have to look into these just because I find them fascinating! and I'm contemplating learning gregg shorthand and it would make it mean more to have the "official" pen...may have to do some hunting :D

The Esterbrook Gregg nib is pretty easily found too. Just screw it in to the Estie of your choice. (I have two, one in a blue transitional J))

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain