Pilot No 15 Pen Nibs

lawrenceg

Hello,

I suspect this isn't the right place for this but....

The Pilot No15 nib goes in the pilot 743, 834, 845 fountain pens.

Does anyone have any No 15 nibs for sale or know where I can buy them.

I would consider the whole pen, but that depends on cost

Thank you

post-29608-0-78596900-1513426868_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkling13

• lawrenceg

• Gasquolet

• minddance

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you looking to buy outright or maybe swap? Are you looking for a particular nib grind? Bear in mind the nibs supplied on the Custom 845 are two tone 18 carat gold compared with the 14 carat nibs on the 823 an 743...

As far as I can see Pilot don't offer the nibs separately, certainly not intentionally. Some Japanese sellers can clearly fit your choice of nib to a pen when purchasing, including non-catalogue options like FA on a Cusom 845 but I've as yet not heard of these sellers selling a loose nib or section.

You could still enquire at Tokyo Pen Shop Quill and Engeika as these sellers are firstly good with international sales and secondly have 'form' with nont standard Pilot sales.

Edited to correct the unusual 17 carat nib typo...

Edited by Gasquolet

I never realised that the 845 came with a two tone nib.

I suspect that I will not be inundated with nibs so I decided to keep it vague. I am looking for medium or broad depending on what is available.

I am waiting to hear back from Pilot UK.

No easy fix, probably going to have to buy a new pen with the correct nib size.

You could still enquire at Tokyo Pen Shop Quill and Engeika as these sellers are firstly good with international sales and secondly have 'form' with nont standard Pilot sales.

Edited to correct the unusual 17 carat nib typo...

Tokyo Pen shop quill would not be able to fulfill this. All the customisation and special nibs for respective pens happen at Pilot and not at the shop, and to get your choice of non-standard nib on a particular model, you will need an MOQ.

I asked for SM nib on 845 which was politely declined citing the reason above.

Tokyo Pen shop quill would not be able to fulfill this. All the customisation and special nibs for respective pens happen at Pilot and not at the shop, and to get your choice of non-standard nib on a particular model, you will need an MOQ.

I asked for SM nib on 845 which was politely declined citing the reason above.

That's interesting, I didn't realise the nibs were also done by Pilot as a special line for TPSQ, makes sense given the bespoke finishes they do through certain retailers. That scotches my thoughts about a similar order request to yours.

lawrenceg; yes, procuring a new pen may be your best bet however I do wonder if there are 743s available second hand with medium or broad nibs taken from 823s where a nib swap has been carried out. Have you tried posting a wanted ad in the classifieds?

When I got my 823 a few years ago is was a lot cheaper than a 743 for some reason - popular demand I suppose.

Don't know if this is relevant to the topic, but a few months ago I accidentally dropped my Pilot Kakuno and murdered the nib.

Wanting to find a replacement nib, I mentioned the request to one of the Pilot Taiwan staff during a pen-related event. The guy told me that Pilot does not offer spare kakuno nibs for sale, so the only way was to purchase a new kakuno.

Again, not sure whether its only for the Kakuno line (cheap compared to their other lines) or whether it's something special for the local branch of the company...

Don't know if this is relevant to the topic, but a few months ago I accidentally dropped my Pilot Kakuno and murdered the nib.

Wanting to find a replacement nib, I mentioned the request to one of the Pilot Taiwan staff during a pen-related event. The guy told me that Pilot does not offer spare kakuno nibs for sale, so the only way was to purchase a new kakuno.

Again, not sure whether its only for the Kakuno line (cheap compared to their other lines) or whether it's something special for the local branch of the company...

This is the general policy of the Japanese pen manufacturers, which I find to be very customer-unfriendly. Why can everyone be like Pelikan and Aurora, with easily interchangeable nibs? And why can't Pelikan resume making interesting nibs, just for this purpose?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

> As far as I can see Pilot don't offer the nibs separately, certainly not intentionally.

That is not exactly true. You can buy a different nib while keeping your old one.

I once asked if I could swap a F for an M nib and I was told this by Itoya. But be sure, this procedure has its price - so I abandoned it right away.

@jmccarthy3

> And why can't Pelikan resume making interesting nibs

The "ugly" nibs of Pelikan make sure that I don't buy any recent models of them. But I just bought a Pelikan 60 (end of 1960s) in rolled gold - nib is nothing special - but at least not as ugly as the new ones.

• 1 month later...

#5, #10 and #15 provide a similar line width with the same ink on the same paper. #20 may vary a bit depending upon the pressure you apply while writing. Former 3 nibs are quite rigid, but #20 is softer.

This is the general policy of the Japanese pen manufacturers, which I find to be very customer-unfriendly. Why can everyone be like Pelikan and Aurora, with easily interchangeable nibs? And why can't Pelikan resume making interesting nibs, just for this purpose?

Dont knock it till you tried it. I had a 823 by Pilot crack, and they repaired it, cleaned it, and even repackaged it in a presentation box with a free bottle of ink, costing me only the cost of mailing the pen to Pilot. I knew it was still my pen cause of the scratch patterns. I doubt any other company will do that for just a nib swap.

Kakuno is disposable nearly. They will service their more expensive pens, i had a 823 worked on.

• 6 years later...

Would it be possible to replace a F nib with a soft F nib on the Custom 743? Can I buy the nibs separately?

4 hours ago, truthdude said:

Would it be possible to replace a F nib with a soft F nib on the Custom 743? Can I buy the nibs separately?

Yes you can swap them, but Pilot does not sell nibs separately.