Japan Pen Store Questions

Vicary

I'm getting ready to head to Japan for a couple weeks. I'm going as a chaperone with a student group, so I'm not going to have much free time. Our main hotel in Tokyo is in a complex called Sunshine City. It looks like a big shopping area- Ikebekuro. Anyone have any inside information on a good place to get pens in that area, in case I can sneak away for an hour?

It also looks like I might have some free time in the city of Mito. Anyone know of anyplace around there for pen shopping?

Thanks in advance!

Doug

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vicary

• Tinjapan

• fjoly79

• Algester

Sad that you won't have much time by yourself. In Japan, If may, the transit system (metro or subway) is absolutely efficient and reliable . I went to Japan twice for vacation in 2015 and had wonderful experiences visiting factories (Toyota) and distilleries (Yamazaki -best whiskey in the world!!!) but missed visiting a pen manufacturer. Perhaps you could try to negotiate some additional time and organize a visit to either the 3 main pen manufacturers - Pilot, Platinum or Sailor? I so much would enjoy this, and would definitely buy one directly during a visit there.

Otherwise, you will find plenty of stores selling from cheaper to more expensive fountain pens in the Ginza district (see link of the Ginza district map, please look at the below link) where a number of large retail stores and specialty shops are located.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=kRdMP0sT&id=947B9AAC4BD0932CA493BDBDDB5BFB4981CBD2CF&thid=OIP.kRdMP0sTQe474me2A72UDgEsCs&q=Ginza+District+Map&simid=608018803484198149&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

Good luck!!

Francois

Sad that you won't have much time by yourself. In Japan, If may, the transit system (metro or subway) is absolutely efficient and reliable . I went to Japan twice for vacation in 2015 and had wonderful experiences visiting factories (Toyota) and distilleries (Yamazaki -best whiskey in the world!!!) but missed visiting a pen manufacturer. Perhaps you could try to negotiate some additional time and organize a visit to either the 3 main pen manufacturers - Pilot, Platinum or Sailor? I so much would enjoy this, and would definitely buy one directly during a visit there.

Otherwise, you will find plenty of stores selling from cheaper to more expensive fountain pens in the Ginza district (see link of the Ginza district map, please look at the below link) where a number of large retail stores and specialty shops are located.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=kRdMP0sT&id=947B9AAC4BD0932CA493BDBDDB5BFB4981CBD2CF&thid=OIP.kRdMP0sTQe474me2A72UDgEsCs&q=Ginza+District+Map&simid=608018803484198149&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

Good luck!!

Francois

p.s. if you want to find the location and contact details of the 3 main Japanese fountain pen manufacturers, here's a link

http://www.stutler.cc/pens/pen_companies/index.html

I envy you!!! have fun in Japan!!!

Thanks for the info Francois. I'm really hoping to be able to see something cool pen related!

Ikebukuro does not have a lot. There is a relatively new, small, pen counter in Seibu department store, the second largest department store in the world and a new Itoya (I think) somewhere in the basement of Tobu Department Store, the world's 3rd largest department store.

But Ikebukuro is not far from Shinjuku, home of both Kingdom Note and two Seikaido art sullpy stores which offer 20% off MSRP.

Also, if you plan ahead, it is not hard nor time consuming to get to Tokyo (Maruzen, Takashimaya) nor Yurakucho (Itoya) stations. However, an hour is not enough time, nor is it really for a trip to Kingdom Note.

My favourite was Itoya, huge selection of fountain pen, great service, and they have a pen clinic everyday. Its near yurakucho station. Maruzen Oazo is also great, you can't go wrong woth either. Ready your pocket, though, because you will want to buy everypen you see...