DJ Kennedy Pens

Guest PeteWK

Guest PeteWK

I recently purchased a DJ Kennedy Pen on eBay and was wondering how many are out there and if anyone on the Network has or has come across one? Kennedy was / is a sculptor who made fanciful pens for a time. Paul Erano wrote about them in his excellent book though this one seems to buck the trend. Paul stated that Kennedy only made them for friends or himself but this one is etched (among other things), "Neiman Marcus". I'm guessing it was in the 1994 Christmas Catalog though I'll have to do more research on that. Workmanship is outstanding! Kennedy is currently living outside St. Louis last I heard playing Trombone and living an artist's life.

This one is based on a Sheaffer Imperial cartridge pen (nice writer, of course). I"m at the office at the moment but will upload pictures tonight when I get home.

PeteWK

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djkpens

• djpens

• tonybopine

• acheex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know nothing about them, but I love the designs. Here are two featured in someone's lovely collection... http://www.pbase.com/oshun/rare_fountain_pens

Yep, I saw those, though there's actually three Kennedy Pens there. Pictures to follow.

PeteWK

This page appears to have a newsgroup post by the man himself, complete with e-mail addy.

http://www.trombone.org/trombone-l/archives/0310/031008.txt

Guest PeteWK

Here are some pictures to get an idea of Kennedy's work. Note that the pictures aren't always color correct. Post one of two.

post-798-1179546542_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546556_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546567_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546580_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546595_thumb.jpg

Guest PeteWK

These are the second grouping. The pen measures 4.5 inches long capped and weighs in at 33.5 grams; fairly heavy it seems to me. I've flirted with the idea that the barrel and cap could be some form of karat gold. I'm hoping the 1994 Neiman Marcus catalog actually does have this pen in it and so can shed some light there. When heated with a torch, gold does some things I see on this pen. That would be a kick but I'd call the odds at less than 50%.

PeteWK

post-798-1179546857_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546867_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546878_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546889_thumb.jpg

post-798-1179546899_thumb.jpg

Wow it's a good thing the seller didn't know what they had or the bids may have gone much higher. It's amazing what a good discription can do for selling a pen on ebay. I was scanning the bay looking for a black and pearl Parker Duofold Pencil and found one listed as an unknown brand but possibly an Eversharp Pencil. Picked it up for a Sweet $20.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Guest PeteWK
Wow it's a good thing the seller didn't know what they had or the bids may have gone much higher. It's amazing what a good discription can do for selling a pen on ebay. I was scanning the bay looking for a black and pearl Parker Duofold Pencil and found one listed as an unknown brand but possibly an Eversharp Pencil. Picked it up for a Sweet $20.

Wow. I concur with the bargain hunting on eBay. It is hit or miss though. Like you, I've found some great deals and then I've taken a few on the chin. I was surprised to have gotten this pen for so little considering Kennedy's work is pretty well known among higher dollar collectors. Regards,

PeteWK

DJ Kennedy was one of the first to make art pens. There is a little section on him in the "Write Stuff" book by Jaeger. There is also an article on him in Pen World several years ago. He made/makes(?) a series of pens for Neiman Marcus. The WS book shows photos of at least one desk set, and a traveling artists set as well. Some of the pens incorporate vintage sections and nibs. Last I read he lived in Illinois.

Great find

gary

Guest PeteWK
DJ Kennedy was one of the first to make art pens. There is a little section on him in the "Write Stuff" book by Jaeger. There is also an article on him in Pen World several years ago. He made/makes(?) a series of pens for Neiman Marcus. The WS book shows photos of at least one desk set, and a traveling artists set as well. Some of the pens incorporate vintage sections and nibs. Last I read he lived in Illinois.

Great find

gary

Thanks Gary. I'm currently in a conversation with him and awaiting his second e-mail. I've also contacted and am corresponding with Jose Garcia, whose pictures are the ones in Paul Erano's book. That's where I first saw Kennedy's pens.

PeteWK

Edited by PeteWK

• 3 months later...
I recently purchased a DJ Kennedy Pen on eBay and was wondering how many are out there and if anyone on the Network has or has come across one? Kennedy was / is a sculptor who made fanciful pens for a time. Paul Erano wrote about them in his excellent book though this one seems to buck the trend. Paul stated that Kennedy only made them for friends or himself but this one is etched (among other things), "Neiman Marcus". I'm guessing it was in the 1994 Christmas Catalog though I'll have to do more research on that. Workmanship is outstanding! Kennedy is currently living outside St. Louis last I heard playing Trombone and living an artist's life.

This one is based on a Sheaffer Imperial cartridge pen (nice writer, of course). I"m at the office at the moment but will upload pictures tonight when I get home.

PeteWK

Pete,

According to the information supplied to me by Neiman Marcus DJ Kennedy made pens for the company in 1994, 1995, and 1996. They were pictured in the 1994 and 1995 Christmas catalogs. They were also pictured in several additional pen flyers direct mailed to Neiman Marcus customers. Internal buying department documents indicate that there were 41 seperate SKU's listing both individual pen styles and finish options. These pens ranged from brass to silver and solid gold with additonal options of semi preciuos stones. The limited editions were isssued from a low of 10 to a high of 100. All pens featured special packaging from simple cardboard to wood designed by DJ Kennedy. Hand drawn and hand signed certificates were also included with the limited edition pens. I hope this of help with your question. My collection of decorative arts contains several of his rarer (gold and silver with stones) pens.

Gary

• 8 months later...

This is fascinating. I'd never heard of the artist previously. Then again, I'm not a collector of higher dollar art pens. I might like to be but the lack of dollars seems to keep getting in the way.

Regardless, thanks to all who provided information and photos.

• 8 months later...

greetings from / DJ KENNEDY

THE HILL /ST LOUIS //SKIF.COM//ST LOUIS FASHION WEEK /KSDK CHANNEL 5 -SKIF

------------------

i am still alive /latest project titanium ear fashions w niobium earwires/////coming soon TANTALUM

----------------

still drawing /painting /sculpting

----------------

17 art cars done up

----------

stillplaying trombone active on online THE TROMBONE FORUM ..OPEN HORN /SLIDEBONE HANG

--------------

long story about pens

------------

too long for this thread

-------GARY ---I STILL HAVE YOUR DIP PEN -COMMISSION --

THAD WONG

SOUTHERN SCRIBE

------------------

HELLO TO BRAD TORELLI CRAIG DON L FULTZ

LONG TIME

------------

This is fascinating. I'd never heard of the artist previously. Then again, I'm not a collector of higher dollar art pens. I might like to be but the lack of dollars seems to keep getting in the way.

Regardless, thanks to all who provided information and photos.

MODEL 251 SHEAFFER DESK PEN //

ORIGINAL PACKAGING BLACK VELVET BAG W NEIMAN MARCUS RIBBION TIE

paper insert /instructions

------------------------

original order was over 33 //total fabricated under 100

------------------------

the christmas flyer had sheaffer in it

this ended my supply of new nibs from sheaffer

---------

leading to renaissance rollerball ///using early waterman -schmidt rb

sterling with peridot 18k clip raised from flat sheet //gold ball accent

also in patina brass w gold

cherrywood carved leaf display /certificate

-------------------------

next //silver simplicity

parker centennial

sterling w 14k wire band and clip

---------------------

• 3 years later...

I just found out yesterday, after meeting my ex-gf (17 years ago, we are still in touch )for tea, her father is DJ Kennedy! He lives in Southern Ill, and has for years. I have many hobbies, so I never metioned my love of FP's to her...But it came up in convo yesterday. After a quick search he is famous in the FP world! Next time she goes to visit she is going to gather as much info as she can. Stay tuned!

Edited by Apie

• 2 years later...

Hello. I found this forum while researching a pen my mother had given me several years ago..

It is a DJ Kennedy fountain pen from the 1994 Christmas catalog.. #22

It's really cool to see all of this traffic and interest around his work. The pen I own is truly beautiful. I am actually planning to post it on eBay today or tomorrow. Any recommendations on a fair price point?

EBay username is the same as my username here

post-122100-0-92758100-1429340416_thumb.jpg

post-122100-0-13948200-1429340462_thumb.jpg

post-122100-0-06470500-1429340475_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

i wonder if DJ is still around?

got this wonderful pen and wondering what he can tell me about it...

its pen #96 way before Neiman Marcus

post-124633-0-71347400-1440085331_thumb.jpg

Edited by acheex

• 2 months later...

HEY NICE SQUIGGLE PEN --sterling w carnelian ends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=======

still alive --did a commission this summer for a very nice lady collector

PEN NUMBER 567 -- w matching inkwell --shipped out for about 2200

very long --no clip --using a complete 149 -unmodified pen for the works [no cap of course]

it had been awhile so i made a ''practice pen '' also --and it is really great for writing drawing

number 565 i think ---its pretty big -left unpolished un buffed

after the model i changed the design somewhat and at customer request fabricated or raised from flat sheet a very long tube

hard soldered w air//acetylene torch IN 34 GAUGE STERLING--.006 IN .15MM -- precarious and subject to melting at beyond red heat

---------------------

well this customer also wanted a SNAKE PEN --did some drawings but since everybody has done them I lost enthausiasm about it

PLUS the money wasnt right for the gold inlaid snakes and wild temple of snakes display unit

---------------------------

the inkwell was the hardest --took 4 trys --forget about covering the mont blanc slant bottle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------

most of the time i hang on facebook forums -----

--------

thanks for the great posts

dj kennedy

chester hill studios

chester illinois

• 2 weeks later...

DJ

I will see Doug Berg today and direct him here. He has a few of your pens.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.