What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2017

Ghost Plane

Well, I have now gotten the fountain pen mania fever! And FPN appears to be the online place to be! :-)

Earlier this year, I purchased my first Rouge et Noir black fountain pen. The serpent and retro design really caught my eye. I found that the nib wrote somewhat 'scratchy', and the Montblanc boutique sent the nib off for servicing. However, even after servicing, it still writes scratchy.

I then purchased the Rouge et Noir coral fountain pen. I like this one even better since it has beautiful green inlaid eyes on the serpent (whereas no inlaid eyes on the black pen), and the two tone (yellow and white gold nib, in contrast to the one tone white gold nib for the black pen). Also, I think the coral colour adds more to the retro feel. Surprisingly, the nib in the coral pen writes considerably smoother.

~ Stanman:

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network Montblanc Forum!

It's very nice to have you join us.

Thank you so much for the clear images of your lovely pens.

The detail that you've provided is especially appealing.

Your photography brings out the unique features of the pen design.

What nib size is on the pens, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm puzzled by the scratchiness that you described.

Tom K.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• Pravda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I have now gotten the fountain pen mania fever! And FPN appears to be the online place to be! :-)

Earlier this year, I purchased my first Rouge et Noir black fountain pen. The serpent and retro design really caught my eye. I found that the nib wrote somewhat 'scratchy', and the Montblanc boutique sent the nib off for servicing. However, even after servicing, it still writes scratchy.

I then purchased the Rouge et Noir coral fountain pen. I like this one even better since it has beautiful green inlaid eyes on the serpent (whereas no inlaid eyes on the black pen), and the two tone (yellow and white gold nib, in contrast to the one tone white gold nib for the black pen). Also, I think the coral colour adds more to the retro feel. Surprisingly, the nib in the coral pen writes considerably smoother.

Rouge2.jpg

Rouge1.jpg

Rouge3.jpg

Beautiful two tone gold nib

Rouge4.jpg

Love the green inlaid serpent eyes!

Rouge5.jpg

Side by side comparison of the black and coral Rouge et Noir fountain pens

Very nice photos of two very nice pens! Thank you for sharing...

and :W2FPN:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

~ Stanman:

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network Montblanc Forum!

It's very nice to have you join us.

Thank you so much for the clear images of your lovely pens.

The detail that you've provided is especially appealing.

Your photography brings out the unique features of the pen design.

What nib size is on the pens, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm puzzled by the scratchiness that you described.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom! Really enjoying this forum!

I believe that they are both medium nibs. When I write with the black pen, it sounds like it is scratching or squeaking; almost as if there is extra friction present. However the ink still flows well. This is in contrast to the coral pen, which doesn't make any sounds when writing. I tried explaining it to the Montblanc store rep, and he thought that the black pen wrote fine, but ended up sending it off anyways. It still makes the scratching/squeaking. Maybe I'm just being too critical - first world problems. ;)

Thanks Tom! Really enjoying this forum!

I believe that they are both medium nibs. When I write with the black pen, it sounds like it is scratching or squeaking; almost as if there is extra friction present. However the ink still flows well. This is in contrast to the coral pen, which doesn't make any sounds when writing. I tried explaining it to the Montblanc store rep, and he thought that the black pen wrote fine, but ended up sending it off anyways. It still makes the scratching/squeaking. Maybe I'm just being too critical - first world problems. ;)

~ Stanman:

Thank you for the followup explanation.

Medium nibs are tipped with a rounded point which seldom produces a scratching sound or sensation.

What you've described does sound familiar to me, as several years ago I had a Montblanc Classique with an F nib which performed exactly in the way you've mentioned.

As it happens, I requested a free nib exchange to EF within the six week after initial purchase period. When the pen was returned with the EF nib, the scratchy squeak was gone.

Your coral pen is performing very well for you, which is great to hear.

By all means please do post comments anywhere in this forum, as your photos and thoughts are most welcome.

Tom K.

~ Stanman:

Thank you for the followup explanation.

Medium nibs are tipped with a rounded point which seldom produces a scratching sound or sensation.

What you've described does sound familiar to me, as several years ago I had a Montblanc Classique with an F nib which performed exactly in the way you've mentioned.

As it happens, I requested a free nib exchange to EF within the six week after initial purchase period. When the pen was returned with the EF nib, the scratchy squeak was gone.

Your coral pen is performing very well for you, which is great to hear.

By all means please do post comments anywhere in this forum, as your photos and thoughts are most welcome.

Tom K.

Great, and thanks for the advice Tom! I think I should have requested a nib exchange instead of having them service it. Will definitely keep in mind for next time. :-)

Stanman, the nib on your black Rouge et Noire may be just a bit out of alignment. My first R et N was the coral with a medium nib, and it was like that, a little rough, with some "singing" vibration during writing. Fortunately, I was headed to the DC pen show at that time, and one of the nibmeisters there had it writing perfectly in short order. Sounds like it would be an easy fix if you have someone nearby who is experienced at working on nibs. Let us know how it works out for you.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Stanman, the nib on your black Rouge et Noire may be just a bit out of alignment. My first R et N was the coral with a medium nib, and it was like that, a little rough, with some "singing" vibration during writing. Fortunately, I was headed to the DC pen show at that time, and one of the nibmeisters there had it writing perfectly in short order. Sounds like it would be an easy fix if you have someone nearby who is experienced at working on nibs. Let us know how it works out for you.

Great to know. Thanks a lot Jmccarty3!

I had a great day at the Southyorkshire Pen show I picked to a abused 146 ( nibs in good condition) and a burgundy fine liner 144 size again not great condition both for £170 .

I've had my eye on the Montblanc M Fountain pen for awhile. I love the sleek look, and how the magnetic cap nicely aligns up with the barrel each time. Also, it's a fairly light pen, and one that I could see myself using on a daily basis.

I am not keen on ink cartridges however, and Montblanc does not have a converter that fits this pen.

I tried fitting a Kaweco mini sport converter in the MB boutique, but it wouldn't fit into the nib. Thanks to pencilcaseblog.com, I read that the Monteverde converter might fit.

Happy to say that the Monteverde mini converter is a perfect fit with the Montblanc M, so it made this pen a definite purchase for me!

I'm using a medium nib, and there is great ink flow with the converter.​

pen.jpg

nib2.jpg

nib.jpg

Monteverde mini converter in nib (alongside Montblanc ink cartridge)Monteverde_convertor.jpg

Lovely pen. Will the converter fully extend and fill with ink when the nib is screwed back into the barrel?

Lovely pen. Will the converter fully extend and fill with ink when the nib is screwed back into the barrel?

Yes, good question! You can still fully extend the converter piston and fit it in the barrel with the nib screwed in. Thankfully the barrel is long enough.

I went fishing in the Bay the other week and pulled this one into the boat.

fpn_1512087883__20171130_140407_resized.

Besides being filthy and full of old ink, it is an interesting combination of 149 eras. The body and piston are from the 1960s (one piece with a friction fit piston), the feed is from the 1970s (solid ebonite), and the nib is from the 1980s (14K two-tone, and a boring M).

I like silver overlay pens, but MB never made one in 149 size. As much as I would love to find an affordable platinum 149, that is not going to happen. So this seemed like an opportunity worth trying. Not a lot of extra weight from the overlay and it has a pleasing touch in the hand. I am still deciding if I like the look or not.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Wow, this is a great looking & interesting pen!

Feed and nib can be exchanged to make it all „same era“ ;-)

Hope you‘ll enjoy it.

Cheers

Michael

My most recent MB purchase was a 2009 149 (from Oxford Street Selfridges according to the warranty booklet).

I have bought other branded pens as well but that was my last MB. And probably my last MB for a very long time - not because I've fallen out of love with the brand (it will always be my favourite) but I'm broaching out into collecting Militaria which is, in the long run going to be more costly! That said I do want a Montegrappa XD

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~