Help With Montblanc Vintage Desk Set

miss835505

Hi! I am a new member, and I am trying to learn about a vintage desk set that we bought at an estate sale. I know it's a Montblanc, and from what I could lean from google, I think the pens are 222s (?) I would really appreciate any info about what model the base is, and what we should do (or not do ) to fix it. I don't know if we should leave the plaque or is it a detriment to the value since it is inscribed? Also, 3 of the felt pads are missing from the base, should we replace them with new ones, or do they need to be original?

Additionally, we have three pens, but only two holders. Are these original to the piece, or from different sets? I know nothing about the set, since we bought it second hand. I assume it's authentic, but I am not sure. One of the pens has the white Montblanc logo, but it seems crooked? Is this a sign that it needs repair, or that it is a fake? I would love any help, as I don't want to damage the set trying to fix it myself, and I don't want to invest more into it if it's not authentic. Thanks in advance, I will try to attach pics.

-Melissa

post-133500-0-84874800-1482086564_thumb.jpg

post-133500-0-91641700-1482086583_thumb.jpg

post-133500-0-70751200-1482086618_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miss835505

• FredRydr

• Kalessin

• talkinghead

It's refreshing to see a true Montblanc desk pen and base that isn't just a Meisterstuck with threaded barrel stuck into an optional base. Desk pens are difficult to sell, especially accompanied by large bases, but I like to have a few around with interesting designs (especially deco).

The impact of original versus new felt on the bottom is nil. I'd worry more about protecting the value of furniture on which you place the base. :-)

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Thanks, it is large but very attractive. It wobbles a bit due to the missing felt, it's nice to know I can go ahead and put some protection on the base. So, you think it's authentic? Do you have any idea of age?

The pens seem more like Montblanc #34's, piston fill and with a hooded nib.

The set absolutely looks authentic, and I'd love to find one for myself at an estate sale someday...

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Thanks! One of the pens has a different nib, I will attach a better pic. I wonder if they were from different sets? The white logo seems to be a bit askew (not in line with the nib) on one of the pens. Is this damage do you think?

post-133500-0-67784600-1482099830_thumb.jpg

1960s, but I'd have to pull my Roslers to be sure. You haven't posted a photo of the logo, but to hazard two guesses: (1) the lack of alignment might be due to change in the plastic over the years, such that when threaded back into place, the parts align differently now than when new, or (2) perhaps parts were swapped between the two pens by the prior owner. I cannot see the damage issue in your photos.

Fred

The pens seem more like Montblanc #34's, piston fill and with a hooded nib.

The set absolutely looks authentic, and I'd love to find one for myself at an estate sale someday...

Thanks! We are trying to find a value ($), but there is nothing like this on e-bay. Can you recommend any reference materials for valuation? My experience is mostly with pocket watches, this is our first pen purchase.

You will be hard-pressed to put a reliable value on the set, because so few sell on the open market that there's no data. If I had this on my vendor table at a pen show, I would put $300 on it, but I would likely have to drop the price in order not to take it back home. A determined Montblanc collector with plenty of space would bid high to possess it, if (and that's the key), if there was anyone bidding against him. If you like the set, keep it and enjoy it without regard to its value.

Fred

You will be hard-pressed to put a reliable value on the set, because so few sell on the open market that there's no data. If I had this on my vendor table at a pen show, I would put $300 on it, but I would likely have to drop the price in order not to take it back home. A determined Montblanc collector with plenty of space would bid high to possess it, if (and that's the key), if there was anyone bidding against him. If you like the set, keep it and enjoy it without regard to its value.

Fred

Thanks! I do like it, and I appreciate your help.

The two styles of nib are both authentic, the one with the exposed breather hole was found on #32 pens and others from the "two-digit" series.

It would be more usual to see both pens be identical rather than have different designs around the nib like this set has, but I don't know if pens were sold separately from bases by MB dealers at the time. (As in, the customer would choose a base design, and then choose the pens that would fit in the base.)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 3 months later...

Very nice set. I would be one of those determined MB collectors that Fred references. It appears that you have a set of two model 222 pens with a nice base and the gold filled holders. The third pen is most likely a 232. On my unusual MB 222 set, the model # is stamped on the taper. I also have a 232 and 224 with the model # stamped on the taper. Sadly, no 234 in my collection.

Here is my set:

fpn_1491711038__mb222set_1.jpg

fpn_1491711068__mb222set_2.jpg

fpn_1491711091__mb222set_3.jpg

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

It's refreshing to see a true Montblanc desk pen and base that isn't just a Meisterstuck with threaded barrel stuck into an optional base. Desk pens are difficult to sell, especially accompanied by large bases, but I like to have a few around with interesting designs (especially deco).

Fred

Your collection of desk pens and stands always seem to take up a lot of space on our tables...eh? You need to sell some for once!! Especially that damn silver ink well and blotter..I'm getting tired of looking at it!!

:lticaptd:

Edited by talkinghead

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

• 2 years later...

Hello I'm new here, and my English is not so good. I have a question about a set I have.

It is a Montblanc Meisterstück desk set of three parts.

What I want to know is what year it is from, and what type this set is.

Hope someone can help me with this :-) I didn't know where to ask questions?

Thanks in advance.

Annemiek

I don't know how to place the photo's??

Edited by annemiek

Well, without pictures it's impossible to answer your question as long as my cristal ball is in maintenance and repair ... ;)

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006