Chu-Shu Sailor Jentle Ink (2016)

visvamitra

In 1911, Mr. Kyugoro Sakata, an engineer from Hiroshima in Japan, was introduced to the fountain pen. Mr. Sakata was so intrigued by the design and function of the pen he decided to begin a company to craft the finest writing instruments in the world. In honor of his British friend, he chose to name the company Sailor Pen.

The Sailor Pen Company has maintained this heritage of quality and technical perfection over the years. Apart from offering very well made pens, the company has employed an ink master - pure genius who's managed to create greates fountain pen inks ever (it's my opinion not validated by research but shared by many of us). I would guess that during the years Sailor created approximately 600-800 inks (most of them under other names).

fpn_1479622609__1310052.jpg

One of internationally available line of Sailor inks is Sailor Jentle line. At the moment we have two of them. The new one reintroduces colors that were missed by hundreds of geeks. I've bought full line of new Jentle inks and I'll review them all in following weeks. The inks are:

1. Chu-shu
  2. Fuji-musume
  3. Irori
  4. Kin-mokusei
  5. Rikyu-cha
  6. Sakura-mori
  7. Waka-uguisu
  8. Yuki-akari

Today I'll say few words about

Chu-shu

fpn_1480106049__chushubottle1.jpg

fpn_1480106058__chushubottle2.jpg

Chu-shu is an interesting ink. The color can be described as grey with a purple tone to it. It's dark enough for every day use. Chu-shu is water resistant and lubricates the nib nicely. It's not my perfect grey ink but I think it's worth attention of grey inks users.

fpn_1480106080__chushu_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1480106089__chushu_rk.jpg

fpn_1480106099__chushu_chroma.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1480158567__chushu_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1480158575__chushu_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco AL Sport, broad nib

fpn_1480106177__chushu_t_1.jpg

fpn_1480106184__chushu_t_2.jpg

fpn_1480106191__chushu_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco AL Sport, broad nib

fpn_1480158550__chushu_l_1.jpg

fpn_1480158560__chushu_l_2.jpg

fpn_1480158584__chushu_l_5.jpg

Kokuyo Campus Myo, TWSBI 580, stub 1,1

fpn_1480106105__chusgu_k_1.jpg

fpn_1480106151__chushu_k_2.jpg

fpn_1480106160__chushu_k_3.jpg

No-name notebook, Hero 5028, stub 1,5

fpn_1480106121__chushu_em_1.jpg

fpn_1480106130__chushu_em_2.jpg

Rhodia, Hero 5028, stub 1,1

fpn_1480106169__chushu_ox.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1480106139__chushu_h2o.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• visvamitra

• LizB

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you visvamitra. Most appreciated.

You've clearly shown it's purple undertone which is a no no for me. Phew. Means I'm only on the look out for Rikyu Cha :wub:

Thank you visvamitra. Most appreciated.

You've clearly shown it's purple undertone which is a no no for me. Phew. Means I'm only on the look out for Rikyu Cha :wub:

Ha ha, I am just the opposite. I have ditched the search for Rikyu Cha in favour of this one due to its lovely purple tones :)

Ha ha, I am just the opposite. I have ditched the search for Rikyu Cha in favour of this one due to its lovely purple tones :)

:)

http://www.perivansolutions.co.uk/hubfs/Blog_images_folder/35001-chalk-and-cheese-illustration.jpeg

I'd gotten a bottle because many swabs and samples online looked more purple than grey. Guess we'll have to see what it looks like in my pens. If it's grey it'll get passed on as I don't really like grey inks.

Woah that is a very interesting grey! Thanks for the amazing reviews as always, can't wait to see the other Sailor reviews before I decide on which to get with my order of Iroshizuku inks. :)

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

Hi,

As ever your Ink Reviews continue to impress.

Sailor chu-shu seems to be very subtle, which I appreciate.

On my calibrated display I perceive more of an Indigo aspect rather than Purple. I would like to know if that is the case of the ink-on-paper originals.

Well, even though I am rather boring in a Blue-Black fashion, it seems this is yet another ink to add to my bottomless list of 'Inks that might be alluring.'

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the review Vis.

Chu-shu used to be one of my favourite grey inks. I love the purple/indigo undertones. Saved it from being a flat, monotone grey like so many are. But I now prefer Oster Purple Rock. It's a complex grey & is great for sketching & washes.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/311684-are-gray-inks-worth-buying/?p=3678061

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks for the review. Reminds me of Diamine Eclipse. That is, an ink with an interesting undertone that only sometimes shows up.

Brilliant.

I've just mixed 1:1 Eclipse with water to produce a rather good copy of the colour. Will load into a pen later.

Thank you.

* just added ½ part emerald to cancel out the purple and let out a little "woo hoo" to a gorgeous grey. 10ml eclipse 10ml water 5ml Enerald.

Edited by Tas