Premium Pentel P205?

milkb0at

I have a few nice mechanical pencils of various prices but I always love the cheap P205. It's light, thin, has a lovely faceted body and I think its overall design looks fantastic.

I wondered if there exists or existed a posh version of the P205? One with a fancier clip (not simply folded metal), made from unobtanium, solid without being heavy, and with a push-button mechanism that feels like clonking on an old IBM Model M keyboard.

I have the Pentel Kerry and Smash / Q1005, which are both great but nothing like the P205. I don't have a GraphGear (yet) which I know is meant to be great but again is a completely different beast.

Any tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• milkb0at

• flatline

• gregamckinney

• pepsiplease69

A premium 205 would be fun! They are hard to beat, used them all through college for engineering work and then on the job. Still have the ones I used in college some 35 years later and in working order!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Not exactly a 205 but I really like the Pilot S20 my only problem is I usually go more for a retractable tip as I prefer a more pocket friendly pencil.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

Not exactly a 205 but I really like the Pilot S20 my only problem is I usually go more for a retractable tip as I prefer a more pocket friendly pencil.

I also have a thing for the retractables. I tend to clip the pencil to my T-shirt collar and in the past nearly performed open heart surgery until I switched over to retractable mechanical pencils.

I have a Pilot H-1005, Pilot HAT 35 R automatic, an older Rotring, and a Rotring 800. The 800 has been in daily abuse since April of this year and is holding up nicely so far.

Yes I also have an S20 and it's nice, but also very different to the P205.

I've never had a problem with the non-retractable point on mechanical pencils since they mostly stay in the pot or in a pencil case. I do have the Kerry (the cap covers the tip) and an Ohto Super Promecha (retractable) which cover those roles if needed, which is rarely.

The more I think of the P205 the fonder I am of it. I think the one I have is actually my wife's from school and university, and is still going very strong. So I don't need a premium one for robustness and longevity. Just a nice bit of bling and something really nice to hold.

I've seen metallic p205 pencils for sale. And a carbon fiber body p205.

Search eBay for "pentel p205 limited edition" and you'll see a variety of options, but I don't think I've seen any with an actual metal body.

If price isn't an issue, the way the p205 is constructed should make it pretty easy for a machine shop to build you a body that you can move the p205 internals into. I think I've seen mention of folks with lathes making their own wooden p205 bodies on other forums, but my google-fu didn't yield any results a moment ago when I searched for such a thing.

--flatline

Edited by flatline

I had mentioned this in a different thread about these pencils, but I would love to see a sterling p205!

Best, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I've seen metallic p205 pencils for sale. And a carbon fiber body p205.

Search eBay for "pentel p205 limited edition" and you'll see a variety of options, but I don't think I've seen any with an actual metal body.

If price isn't an issue, the way the p205 is constructed should make it pretty easy for a machine shop to build you a body that you can move the p205 internals into. I think I've seen mention of folks with lathes making their own wooden p205 bodies on other forums, but my google-fu didn't yield any results a moment ago when I searched for such a thing.

--flatline

Oh fantastic. Good leads there. At first glance it looks like they're mostly cosmetic colouring (and whatever the carbon fibre one actually is) but still with the simple clip and things like that.

One could be fun, though (they're still cheap).

P205 has been my personal favorite. It was a mainstay for me, a veritable workhorse as I went through college and university. The thing never failed on me, even once.

Now as I am going back to school to take some more classes, I reacquainted myself with the P205 after about ten years or so. It's still the one I reach for most often. Despite the fact that I now have a whole host of options for a mechanical pencil eg. Lamy2k, Kuru-Toga, Kaweco, retro 51 and many others.

The way I use it is with the clip removed so that it doesn't get in the way.

The clip on the L2K is murderous to the web of my hand with its sharp edges.

I respect the p205, but I don't like using it. I have no complaints about it mechanically, but I don't like how the grip narrows as it approaches the tip. I find it uncomfortable to use for very long.

The pencil that got me through school (well, the last 6 years of it) and that I still carry today is the Pentel 120 A3dx (called the "Sensi-Grip" on the Pentel website). Unfortunately, according to the Pentel website, that model has been discontinued. How sad.

--flatline

The one thing that disappoints me a little bit with the P205 - if you leave it in the car (i.e. spare cup holder) the plastic becomes very brittle. :(

The one thing that disappoints me a little bit with the P205 - if you leave it in the car (i.e. spare cup holder) the plastic becomes very brittle. :(

Ah, that's a good excuse as to why I need a version made out of unobtanium! Impervious to heat or cold or whatever the problem is.