Show Us Your French Vintage Pens!

amk

Vintage French pens seem to be a bit of a minority sport around here, but brands such as Gold Starry, Edacoto, Bayard, and Meteore have wonderful style and some fantastically patterned celluloids. Not to mention the less common brands like Stylochap, Old Chap, Walkover (English names seem to have been terribly fashionable in France in the 1930s and 1940s, for some reason), JMPaillard....

So come on, let's see some pictures of the nicest French vintage. I know there are other Bayard fanciers out there!

To kick off .... I just received a lovely little (11cm) Gold Starry in the post. Lovely celluloid, as usual with this brand.

http://i.imgur.com/K525eFol.jpg

And here's another Gold Starry, an amazing mixture of horizontal, diagonal and vertical stripes. I've not seen this particular pattern anywhere else.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t411/amk-fpn/P1100805.jpg

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Tashi_Tsering

• inkstainedruth

• amk

Nice Gold Starrys! I'll add a couple more, plus a couple of Bayards and Edacotos later this week when I can.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Beautiful Gold Starry pattern indeed !

Here are some more French pens...

Stylomine 303 green and brownish

Stylomine 303 Mastodonte

Bayard

Meteore Opéra

Semper by Paillard

fpn_1476886346__french.jpg

A lovely set there! And how on earth could I have forgotten Stylomine. That Mastodonte is really stunning; fantastic wild design. Is that ebonite or celluloid?

I have a couple of the smaller Stylomines but I am still waiting to find the monster version!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

A lovely set there! And how on earth could I have forgotten Stylomine. That Mastodonte is really stunning; fantastic wild design. Is that ebonite or celluloid?

I have a couple of the smaller Stylomines but I am still waiting to find the monster version!

Mastodonte is ebonite, great pen to write with... I will keep posting some more whenever the time allows it... I love French pens.

Wow, there are some really beautiful pens people have. My problem would be that I know almost nothing about those brands, so wouldn't be able to adequately evaluate them for condition and price. I'll just sit admiring what I've seen here (kinda like when my parents took a cruise to Antarctica: my mother had a bad foot so she knew she'd never be able to get down the gangplank into a Zodiac, so she'd just sit on the deck looking at icebergs while my dad did the actual excursions, and waited till they got home to see the developed slides my dad took).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 months later...

Here's an Edacoto 87, at 14.2 cm a very large French pen, and more unusual because it was made from 1943-47, when almost no nonessential manufacturing was happening in France. Yes, for those keeping score at home, that is indeed a keyhole Waterman nib -- wrong country, wrong time, but RIGHT SIZE, and of course a great writer. I have the original nib, but it's missing its tip. Some day I may spring to have it retipped.

32671580760_e83791af4b_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• 7 years later...

It has been awhile since this topic had any posts, but having seen it, here’s my contribution.  I recently purchased on eBay the following Edacoto Mini fountain pen, which I have not yet filled:

EdacotoMini-3parts01.thumb.jpeg.f8195d172218c5fdd0e37653111cec8a.jpeg

My guess is that the transparent plastic pump will get filled with ink when the pen is filled.  Does anyone know?

EdacotoMini-3parts02.thumb.jpeg.8738f74c62ac0acb8ef0ff066f15fcb3.jpeg

EdacotoMini-capclipcloseup.thumb.jpeg.9402bdc13c711000805c52a05ae8fd8f.jpeg

EdacotoMini-Nibcloseup.thumb.jpeg.9c093eecedc8d319550ebd4ee70663ff.jpeg   

EdacotoMini-barrelinscription01.thumb.jpeg.df8b0d866384dfb63dd50a8162ab3f63.jpeg

EdacotoMini-barrelinscription02.thumb.jpeg.a7f9a8abc71bc4ebf118d3819a7cbea6.jpeg

EdacotoMini-barrelinscription03.thumb.jpeg.b6dab41ce4e786d0ca4428d9c4876dd8.jpeg

I’ll update at some point after filling the pen and writing with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s the update on the Edacoto Mini .  I guessed correctly that the transparent cylindrical pump fills up with ink after filling; one sees this with the nib upwards, so that gravity forces the ink downward.  I enjoyed writing with this nice, old pen.  The nib is springy, and the writing is smooth and pleasant.

Nice pen! And the filling system is very groovy! I don't know if you've had it apart, but inside there is a spring and a rubber bellow, a very clever and simple filler  (Swan take note!). I have a Stylomine with the same system as well as the Swan Visofil.

Some of the French nibs are excellent but some are quite worn at this point. It seems you got a good one.

Have fun with your classy wee pen.

Ralf

Nice Edacoto, Tashi_Tsering.  When was the 101 sold?

Edacoto "102" - I put that in quotes because the end-barrel stamp is very faint. I can make out the 1 and 2, and I *believe* there is a faint 0 in the middle. Whatever - lovely pen. One of my few French pens, certainly only one from that era.

edacoto_01.thumb.jpg.8fb7cbfe850f58d149a10547cd48b2b0.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6 hours ago, donnweinberg said:

Nice Edacoto, Tashi_Tsering.  When was the 101 sold?

Thanks! Sorry, I don't know - there is no date in the documents. I think it's the 1940s.

One of the tiniest pens I have in my collection is the "Unic". Only 10 cm long (closed).

I think it's a French pen from the 1950s. The filling system is accordion

IMG_4511.jpeg

IMG_4512.jpeg

Very cool.  I find the very small fountain pens fascinating; to get all that functionality in such a small package impresses me.

Stylochap1.thumb.jpg.28ac3c475d12d1022735a93ccb6aac6c.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!