Indian Fountain Pen / Pencil Combo: Dazzling Eye Candy

PenHero

Fellow collectors,

Just completed an article on the Indian fountain pen / pencil combos, one of the more attractive pens from the 1930s. They are also one of the lower tier brands that lack any primary information, including advertisements or catalogs, so information on these pens, such as dates, manufacturer, pricing, are at best, based on observation, or at worst, speculation.

I was able to photograph three of the pens myself and Teri Morris of Peyton Street Pens was very kind in letting me use two of her photos of the green version.

http://www.penhero.com/PenInHand/2016/IndianCombo01.jpg

The amazing plastics of these pens evoke Navajo Eye Dazzler woven articles, late 19th century geometric designs that were a convergence of borrowing ideas from Mexican serape blankets and creating with newly available boldly colored Germantown, Pennsylvania wools, brought in as the railroads came into Navajo country. The designs incorporate diamonds, triangles, chevrons, and Mexican serrate elements, usually throughout the woven piece. Vintage and modern Navajo woven rugs and blankets are highly prized and certain exceptional weavers are known by name to collectors.

The Indian fountain pen / pencil combos came in two lengths, two trim colors and two clip types. The length of the pen appears to be related primarily to the pencil unit installed, as all pens appear to have the same fountain pen front end, cap size and cap threading. The pencil unit is distinguished by either three or four engraved grip rings, with the unit having four being on the longer writing instrument. The writing instruments therefore measure 5 3/8 inches or 5 5/16 inches with the cap on. Clips are either plain faced with a ball end or having an elongated, raised triangle design with a flat ball end. Trim plating was lightly applied and either gold or rhodium/chrome.

One very interesting discovery I ran into working on the article was finding a completely different version of the combo, in sage green with a silvery paint residue. There was not enough paint to detect a design, so that one opens a new mystery.

http://www.penhero.com/PenInHand/2016/IndianCombo04.jpg

You can read the article here:

http://www.penhero.com/PenInHand/2016/PenInHandAug2016.htm

As always, I very much appreciate any additional information, corrections and even loaner pens / photos to expand on what we know.

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• philm

• DanDeM

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

In the hand, the Walthams feel a little more robust than the Indians. Just a tad

heavier. Don’t have a scale to weigh them with precision.

Also the finish is a little better. The spoon lever easier to use, the clip more

ornate and sturdy, painted GF cap bands, and both with Warranted 14k nibs.

The cone cap and barrel ends a cleaner touch.

And oops. Posted the green before reading the article, which, as usual, is a

pleasure to read.

Edited by DanDeM

HI Jim,

Excellent article on Pen Hero, as always, and thank you for the mention of my (now ancient) articles from 2011. I do note that the links in your References both take the reader to my October 2011 article. The earlier article is at ( https://munsonpens.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/indian-fountain-pens/ ). No big deal, keep up the excellent work!

Phil

Hi, Phil,

Thanks for the compliment. You had some helpful information, so you deserved credit!

Do you have a photo of the Arnold pen with the same material?

Check the link in the article. If you scroll down, you will see both of your articles.

Thanks!

Hi Jim.

I do not have a photo of the pen. A fellow member of the Twin Cities Pen Club had the pen and brought it to a meeting a few years ago. The next time I asked about it, he had sold it. From what I remember, all of the hardware was the same as the standard "Indian" pen. The only difference was that it had a clip that said Arnold, but was similar to one of the Indian variants.

I have also seen the Walthams, and am intrigued as to the relationship, understanding the design and hardware differs. I appreciate your research - just wish I could be of more help.

Phil

oooo nice :)

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would update with some new shots. Still looking for more examples of these pens to photograph.

This is an Indian fountain pen / pencil combo in yellow c. 1930s, possibly made by the Arnold Fountain Pen Company of Petersburg, Virginia. They came in two lengths, with two clip types, and two trim colors, either silver (probably chrome or rhodium plate) or gold plate. Nibs were stainless steel, sometimes gold plated. The celluloid cap and barrel is made of a multicolored pattern that emulates Navajo Eye Dazzler fabrics, and was made in red, blue, green or yellow versions. The length of the pen appears to be related primarily to the pencil unit installed, as all pens appear to have the same fountain pen front end, cap size and cap threading. The pencil unit is distinguished by either three or four engraved grip rings, with the unit having four being on the longer writing instrument. They will therefore measure 5 3/8 inches or 5 5/16 inches with the cap on. Clips are stamped INDIAN and are either plain faced with a ball end or will have an elongated, raised triangle design with a flat ball end. Trim plating was lightly applied and either gold or rhodium/chrome.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/IndianComboYellow_1280_09.jpg
Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Indian fountain pen / pencil combo in red c. 1930s, possibly made by the Arnold Fountain Pen Company of Petersburg, Virginia. They came in two lengths, with two clip types, and two trim colors, either silver (probably chrome or rhodium plate) or gold plate. Nibs were stainless steel, sometimes gold plated. The celluloid cap and barrel is made of a multicolored pattern that emulates Navajo Eye Dazzler fabrics, and was made in red, blue, green or yellow versions. The length of the pen appears to be related primarily to the pencil unit installed, as all pens appear to have the same fountain pen front end, cap size and cap threading. The pencil unit is distinguished by either three or four engraved grip rings, with the unit having four being on the longer writing instrument. They will therefore measure 5 3/8 inches or 5 5/16 inches with the cap on. Clips are stamped INDIAN and are either plain faced with a ball end or will have an elongated, raised triangle design with a flat ball end. Trim plating was lightly applied and either gold or rhodium/chrome.
Now all I need is the green one and the ones with the alternate clip!
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/IndianCombo_1280_12.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Indian fountain pen / pencil combo in red c. 1930s, possibly made by the Arnold Fountain Pen Company of Petersburg, Virginia. They came in two lengths, with two clip types, and two trim colors, either silver (probably chrome or rhodium plate) or gold plate. Nibs were stainless steel, sometimes gold plated. The celluloid cap and barrel is made of a multicolored pattern that emulates Navajo Eye Dazzler fabrics, and was made in red, blue, green or yellow versions. The length of the pen appears to be related primarily to the pencil unit installed, as all pens appear to have the same fountain pen front end, cap size and cap threading. The pencil unit is distinguished by either three or four engraved grip rings, with the unit having four being on the longer writing instrument. They will therefore measure 5 3/8 inches or 5 5/16 inches with the cap on. Clips are stamped INDIAN and are either plain faced with a ball end or will have an elongated, raised triangle design with a flat ball end. Trim plating was lightly applied and either gold or rhodium/chrome.
Somehow I missed the blue one! Thought I posted it earlier.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/IndianCombo_1280_11.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is an Indian fountain pen / pencil combo in green c. 1930s, possibly made by the Arnold Fountain Pen Company of Petersburg, Virginia. They came in two lengths, with two clip types, and two trim colors, either silver (probably chrome or rhodium plate) or gold plate. Nibs were stainless steel, sometimes gold plated. The celluloid cap and barrel is made of a multicolored pattern that emulates Navajo Eye Dazzler fabrics, and was made in red, blue, green or yellow versions. The length of the pen appears to be related primarily to the pencil unit installed, as all pens appear to have the same fountain pen front end, cap size and cap threading. The pencil unit is distinguished by either three or four engraved grip rings, with the unit having four being on the longer writing instrument. They will therefore measure 5 3/8 inches or 5 5/16 inches with the cap on. Clips are stamped INDIAN and are either plain faced with a ball end or will have an elongated, raised triangle design with a flat ball end. Trim plating was lightly applied and either gold or rhodium/chrome.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/IndianCombo_1280_13.jpg
Thanks!