Anywhere Where I Can Try An Architect Grind?

Abner C. Kemp

I'm really interested in the architect grind but I'd really like to write with one before sending one of my pens for customization. Does anyone know of a loner program or perhaps a nib meister that grinds cheap nibs for testing?

Thanks!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Biber

• Jamerelbe

• Abner C. Kemp

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pack up your fountain pen, and send it to a stranger, at a distant address ? That asks a lot.

You might establish an association with a Philadelphia pen club, etc., and meet some friends.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I'm really interested in the architect grind but I'd really like to write with one before sending one of my pens for customization. Does anyone know of a loner program or perhaps a nib meister that grinds cheap nibs for testing?

Thanks!!

I want to jump in and say, I, too, am interested in an Architect grind.

But I prefer to do some online research first.

Does anyone have any helpful web links to online references for the Architect grind?

-Brian

Edited by LockedWrenchPort

The world seldom recognizes genius, but when it does it squashes it with the abject tedium of compromise.

-- Manservant Neville (The Middleman: The Clotharian Contamination Protocol)

Try to get to a pen show. I attended the LA Pen Show back in February and was able to try all sorts of nibs. I don't recall trying an architect point, but given a decent sized show, there will likely be a vendor there with one that you're able to try.

In the old days an Architect grind was referred to as an Arabic nib.

You might try expanding your search parameters.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

At the Chicago Pen Show, Franklin Christoph had some architect nibs. Since they display at most of the major pen shows, you might try to see them at one.

If it's just an Arabic nib you want to test, you can't gro wrong with the Dollar 717 Qalam

Not quite, those are merely italic nibs from what I have seen and read.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Not quite, those are merely italic nibs from what I have seen and read.

They are a special type of italic nib, wider horizontal strokes and narrow vertical strokes which is what an architect nib is.

They are a special type of italic nib, wider horizontal strokes and narrow vertical strokes which is what an architect nib is.

I am well aware of what both architect and arabic nibs are. The Dollar Qualam nibs I have seen have been without exception flat and wide, some even with an oblique edge. Please elaborate as to how you equate these characteristics to either an architect or an arabic nib. Relying on extreme rotation of the nib doesn't count.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Trying out someone else's architect nib is not necessarily going to be a help to you in determining whether it's for you: the angle of incidence between nib and paper is much more critical than for a stub nib, so it needs to be customised to suit the angle at which you hold your pen. I've got 3 custom-ground architect nibs, but two of them required a bit of 'tweaking' - and because the nib-grinder was international, that was a bit of a hassle

My recommendation would be that you contact Esther and Pablo from fpnibs.com. They sell JoWo nibs in #5 and #6 sizings, some of which they've customised to fit into various TWSBI pens. For somewhere around US$10-11 you can get a stainless steel nib; add another $8-9 for a custom grind, plus $6-7 postage (they're based in Spain), and you have a nib you can fit into an existing pen.

That may sound like an expensive exercise, but most nibmeisters whose price lists I've seen charge US$40-45 for the nib grind alone. Plus they'll take the time to help you work out the angle at which you hold the pen, to make sure the nib is customised to suit *your* handwriting, not theirs - I sent them a photo, and they worked it out from there for me.

Forgive me if this sounds like a rave, but ... well... I guess it is! I was really impressed with their pricing, their communication, and the final product that shipped to me. I've heard really good things about Dan Smith (www.nibsmith.com), if you're wanting to grind an existing nib - but I'd still suggest trying these guys out first, to see whether it's worth going to the additional expense. You can check out their Youtube channel - or look at the following video which demonstrates one of their custom grinds:

I am well aware of what both architect and arabic nibs are. The Dollar Qualam nibs I have seen have been without exception flat and wide, some even with an oblique edge. Please elaborate as to how you equate these characteristics to either an architect or an arabic nib. Relying on extreme rotation of the nib doesn't count.

Maybe Dollar nibs are that way but that is not what either an Arabic or Architects nib is.

A Italic nibs are ground to make a wide vertical line but a narrow horizontal line. Arabic and Architects nibs are the exact opposite; designed to make a wide vertical nib but a narrow horizontal.

Oblique nibs are an entirely different matter and can be either an italic style or rounded. They are simply sloped to the right or left like your toes but can be flattened or rounded at the writing surface.

The Architects nib was designed to print similar to what Frank Lloyd Wright is said to have used.

Also there is a Dollar 717 Medium Point: its nib shape differs a bit, but the tip is similar to the mentioned above:

http://www.elitepen.ru/forum/files/img_1353_769.jpg

http://www.elitepen.ru/forum/files/img_1365_140.jpg

There you go! Now that's more akin to the architect "grind". But what, specifically in the packaging, distinguishes this specific nib from the others? Seems that every other dollar pen I've seen that is marked qalam are standard italic (flat and wide nib) calligraphy pens.

I think the problem that has crept into this thread is that the term italic has been used to describe the nib. While the script that can be achieved by such a nib may be argumentatively considered a type of italic calligraphy, an architect grind and an arabic nib are distinctly different from the standard italic nib. Essentially tall and narrow vs flat and wide.

Edited by Biber

There you go! Now that's more akin to the architect "grind". But what, specifically in the packaging, distinguishes this specific nib from the others? Seems that every other dollar pen I've seen that is marked qalam are standard italic (flat and wide nib) calligraphy pens.

I think the problem that has crept into this thread is that the term italic has been used to describe the nib. While the script that can be achieved by such a nib may be argumentatively considered a type of italic calligraphy, an architect grind and an arabic nib are distinctly different from the standard italic nib. Essentially tall and narrow vs flat and wide.

I'm not convinced this would work as an architect nib - it's essentially nib tip formed by folding the metal down rather than using tipping material to produce a writing surface - and unless you modify it, only the very tip will touch the paper. A true architect nib actually has its tipping material ground in such a way that there's a flat surface incident upon the paper at your normal writing angle:

post-108160-0-79933600-1466695515_thumb.jpg

I'm not convinced this would work as an architect nib - it's essentially nib tip formed by folding the metal down rather than using tipping material to produce a writing surface - and unless you modify it, only the very tip will touch the paper. A true architect nib actually has its tipping material ground in such a way that there's a flat surface incident upon the paper at your normal writing angle:

attachicon.gifTWSBI Mini Architect 01.jpg

I agree, but you have to admit it's at least a step in the right direction and certainly a heck of a lot cheaper that a custom grind. In this instance I don't imagine it's a matter of whether or not the nib will produce the prescribed line variation, but to what degree. It certainly doesn't take much where that's concerned. I have a pilot varsity from the early 90s that has such a folded (sides) nib tip, and it distinctly did write with characteristics of an architect ground nib. Granted it wasn't very pronounced but it was definitely there.

Trying out someone else's architect nib is not necessarily going to be a help to you in determining whether it's for you: the angle of incidence between nib and paper is much more critical than for a stub nib, so it needs to be customised to suit the angle at which you hold your pen. I've got 3 custom-ground architect nibs, but two of them required a bit of 'tweaking' - and because the nib-grinder was international, that was a bit of a hassle

My recommendation would be that you contact Esther and Pablo from fpnibs.com. They sell JoWo nibs in #5 and #6 sizings, some of which they've customised to fit into various TWSBI pens. For somewhere around US$10-11 you can get a stainless steel nib; add another $8-9 for a custom grind, plus $6-7 postage (they're based in Spain), and you have a nib you can fit into an existing pen.

That may sound like an expensive exercise, but most nibmeisters whose price lists I've seen charge US$40-45 for the nib grind alone. Plus they'll take the time to help you work out the angle at which you hold the pen, to make sure the nib is customised to suit *your* handwriting, not theirs - I sent them a photo, and they worked it out from there for me.

Forgive me if this sounds like a rave, but ... well... I guess it is! I was really impressed with their pricing, their communication, and the final product that shipped to me. I've heard really good things about Dan Smith (www.nibsmith.com), if you're wanting to grind an existing nib - but I'd still suggest trying these guys out first, to see whether it's worth going to the additional expense. You can check out their Youtube channel - or look at the following video which demonstrates one of their custom grinds:

Great info, thanks for the heads up!! This is exactly what I did. Esther was wonderful to work with and the nib was ground and sent out very quickly and I am excited for it to arrive. At the end of the day it cost me just under $25 bucks to have a brand new Ruthenium Jo Wo nib ground and shipped to me, which in my book is an incredible deal if the nib writes anywhere close to well. I'll be updating here once I get the nib.

Also, I have worked with Dan Smith on some custom grinds in the past and his service is wonderful. In fact, if I end up liking the architect grind I think I will send a pen to him for the customization, I just wanted to try the grind on a less expensive pen before offering up one of my gold nibbed beauties for a customization I don't know if I will like.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Great info, thanks for the heads up!! This is exactly what I did. Esther was wonderful to work with and the nib was ground and sent out very quickly and I am excited for it to arrive. At the end of the day it cost me just under $25 bucks to have a brand new Ruthenium Jo Wo nib ground and shipped to me, which in my book is an incredible deal if the nib writes anywhere close to well. I'll be updating here once I get the nib.

Also, I have worked with Dan Smith on some custom grinds in the past and his service is wonderful. In fact, if I end up liking the architect grind I think I will send a pen to him for the customization, I just wanted to try the grind on a less expensive pen before offering up one of my gold nibbed beauties for a customization I don't know if I will like.

@Abner, you're welcome - glad to hear you followed through on my suggestion! I recently took possession of 3 more #5 nibs from these guys - an EF, a 1.1mm stub, and a custom ground 'fine-medium stub'. Out of the box (or rather the envelope), the custom ground nib was a smoother writing experience than the stub. The architect nib Esther organised and Pablo ground for me is likewise really well done, and very enjoyable to use.

These #5 nibs fit really nicely in my TWSBI Eco pens (you can also buy them in a nib assembly that screws in to the Diamond MIni and the Vac Mini) - I need to find the time to put something up on the TWSBI forum about them...