Converter For Parker Im

Cassotto

Hello,

Would anyone tell me whether the converter in the photo is the right one for a Parker IM? As you can see, it shows obvious surface tension problems, and I wonder whether this can be owing at least in part to its not being the right converter for this pen.

fpn_1466003533__parker.jpg

The converter doesn't seem to hold tightly inside the section, but it's somewhat loose. Besides, when I turn the screw to let ink in or out, the whole converter turns inside the section unless I hold it with my other hand. I don't really know whether I should be holding the converter and not the section when I fill the pen, but other similar Parker converters I've got (for Parker Vector pens) allow me to hold the section while filling the converter. So I'm wondering whether not all Parker converters fit all Parker pens.

Thanks!

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassotto

• mitto

• hood

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can see a Parker logo and the 'P' of 'Parker' on the metal part, so it looks like a Parker screw piston converter, which should fit your IM. Am I right in thinking I can see a little of the dark plastic end of the converter at the opening to the section? I don't have an IM to check, but I would imagine it shouldn't be visible, I would have thought it would disappear inside. Is it pushed in fully? Get hold of the section in one hand and the metal part of the converter in the other, and twist while you push to be sure.

And following on from the good hood advice, if the converter is not properly seated you will probably see air drawn in with the ink or water when you try and fill.

Problems with surface tension in convertors are fairly common. A couple of things to try

- a tiny spring inserted into the barrel

- flush the convertor in a water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid in a mug of water. Cycle this through half a dozen times, then rinse a couple of times in plain water. Leave to dry, and then refill with your chosen ink.

- try a different ink

Surface tension problem again.

Sorry but I have no solution to that problem with the Parker screw converter, as I was never able to unscrew the metal collar on my Parker converters to put in a stainless steel ball.

My only advice is to try a wetter ink, like Waterman. I 'think' the dryer or saturated inks will stick to the side of the converter more than the wetter inks.

I normally hold the converter, not the section, when I load up the converter with ink.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Agree with hood it may not be in all the way.

I often will right after filling just tap the side of the converter with my finger a few times and it will move that air pocket to the top of the converter where it should be. I just got in the habit of doing so when I filled a converter. I don't believe I have any with springs or balls to help break the surface tension.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks for your answer. Well, I forgot to mention it IS a Parker converter. I wasn't really looking for solutions to the surface tension problem (I've got another topic open regarding that), but just trying to find out whether Parker might have two models of converters, each for different pen models.

hood, you're right, a bit of the black plastic mouth of the converter is visible outside the section. I've tried twisting it while pushing it firmly, and perhaps now it's a little bit less loose.

Anyway, from what you say, Parker must have only one type of converter, so my question has been answered. Thanks!

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

There have been several different converter types over the years, but the mouth end has always been the same (as with the cartridges) so they all fit in theory. The only exceptions are a few older pens which are too slim to fit the thicker models down the barrel (such as the Parker 180) but I don't think any of the current range require the slim converters. The picture below show the main types, which is from http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=316 - your screw piston converter is similar to no. 6 in this picture but without the metal collar at the mouth end.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/parkvert.jpg

Thanks for your answer. Well, I forgot to mention it IS a Parker converter. I wasn't really looking for solutions to the surface tension problem (I've got another topic open regarding that), but just trying to find out whether Parker might have two models of converters, each for different pen models.

hood, you're right, a bit of the black plastic mouth of the converter is visible outside the section. I've tried twisting it while pushing it firmly, and perhaps now it's a little bit less loose.

Anyway, from what you say, Parker must have only one type of converter, so my question has been answered. Thanks!

Over the years Parker introduced a variety of converters. Some fat, some thin. But as hood explained, the mouth has been the same size in all. So all would fit the nipple on any Parker C/C pen but the slim model Parker pens would not take the fat converters.

One thing to add is that the Parker piston converter that came with Frontiers and Sonnets in the 90s was fatter than the one avalable currently.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks for these very informative posts! It's good to learn new things every day.