Architect Nibs On What Pens?

Mike_in_VT

What pens can I find an architect's nib with? I see that Sailor's sell a few as a "cross" nib. But those pens are extremely expensive.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Biber

• watch_art

• Mike_in_VT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know which pens come stock with that nib. I haven't seen any that I recall.

I would just have a nib I like reground. Dan Smith might be a good choice.

nibsmith dot com

I have purchased nibs from straitspen.com and fpnibs.com for my TWSBI Min / Eco pens - both of them do "after-market" architect grinds. The fpnibs crowd are full-time into manufacturing pens and adjusting nibs, whereas Sunny from Straits Pen (I think) is juggling a few jobs - so the turnaround time is quicker with the former, and with the architect grind (in particular) I think their execution was a little better. They also sell generic #5 and #6 JoWo nibs, stainless steel or gold, for very reasonable prices, which can fit into any compatible pen - which means you've got a wide range of options. And with an added charge of €7.50 for an architect (or fude) grind, their prices are seriously competitive!

Here's a writing sample / photo of two nibs I purchased from FPnibs:

post-108160-0-69550800-1464185133.jpg

The Pilot Varsity, a "disposable" pen, with it's folded nib tip does, in my opinion, write with certain qualities similar to an architect's nib.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

The obligatory side-on and front-on shots - sorry I can't get them any sharper, but hopefully this will do!

post-108160-0-23433800-1464313251_thumb.jpg

post-108160-0-13374600-1464313284_thumb.jpg

This is why architect grinds can be a little more fiddly: you have to hold the nib 'squarely' against the page, which means little change in up-and-down angle - if the nib is ground too low, it can be a real pain trying to use it!

Also called Arabic Nib. The 51 could be purchased with such a nib.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also called Arabic Nib. The 51 could be purchased with such a nib.

Also called a Hebrew nib - basically any script that looks better with a broader side-stroke and a finer down-stroke... :)

I have purchased nibs from straitspen.com and fpnibs.com for my TWSBI Min / Eco pens - both of them do "after-market" architect grinds. The fpnibs crowd are full-time into manufacturing pens and adjusting nibs, whereas Sunny from Straits Pen (I think) is juggling a few jobs - so the turnaround time is quicker with the former, and with the architect grind (in particular) I think their execution was a little better. They also sell generic #5 and #6 JoWo nibs, stainless steel or gold, for very reasonable prices, which can fit into any compatible pen - which means you've got a wide range of options. And with an added charge of €7.50 for an architect (or fude) grind, their prices are seriously competitive!

Here's a writing sample / photo of two nibs I purchased from FPnibs:

post-108160-0-69550800-1464185133.jpg

Thanks Jamerelbe very helpful. I think I may be in touch with fpnibs myself shortly! :)

Thanks everyone for your input and photos. This helps me a great deal. I'll have to check those two websites out. So hypothetically, I can get a JoWo nib with the architect's point and put it on a Jinhao? pretty neat!

Thanks everyone for your input and photos. This helps me a great deal. I'll have to check those two websites out. So hypothetically, I can get a JoWo nib with the architect's point and put it on a Jinhao? pretty neat!

Order a #6 JoWo nib from Fpnibs.com and pay the extra for the nib grind and, yes, that should fit on a Jinhao 159, x450 or x750.

The varsity does not have a folded tip nib.

The varsity I have dates from the early 90s (yes it still writes - been in a box since I taught in grad school in 94). The nib has no tipping. The sides of the nib at the very tip are clearly folded down, not under like some early Esty nibs, creating more vertical surface area than horizontal or lateral, thus enabling for a wider line horizontally than vertical.

A moot point really, if they don't make them that way anymore.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

The varsity I have dates from the early 90s (yes it still writes - been in a box since I taught in grad school in 94). The nib has no tipping. The sides of the nib at the very tip are clearly folded down, not under like some early Esty nibs, creating more vertical surface area than horizontal or lateral, thus enabling for a wider line horizontally than vertical.

A moot point really, if they don't make them that way anymore.

Sadly not - modern day Varsity pens have a big blob of tipping that produces the same width of line, left or right, up or down, or even upside-down...

Sadly not - modern day Varsity pens have a big blob of tipping that produces the same width of line, left or right, up or down, or even upside-down...

Fair enough. That big blob of tipping, to me, seems to be the bane of the modern fountain pen. Heavy sigh...

Just checked back in on the fpnibs.com website (I'd tried to place an order 24 hours ago, but their system had a problem adding one of the nibs I wanted). They're now selling "bare" nibs (i.e. without feeder system), labeled "Vac Mini" nibs, though they'll also fit in the Diamond Mini, the Eco and (probably) the Diamond 580 nib assemblies. Priced at €5.79 (tax excluded, for non-Euro buyers) plus (I think) another €9-10 for an architect grind (plus postage of course), it's hard to beat that price! I already have 3 architect nibs, but decided to get a M nib ground to a stub...

I can do it to your pen. See my website. It is not a nib available from most manufacturers, and the Sailor nibs are quite pricey.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco