Sailor Chu-Shu

lgsoltek

Sailor recently re-released the old four seasons inks. Sadly it's a limited edition (again!). I managed to get another three of them: Chu-shu, Waka-uguisu (murky green lovers rejoice!) and Yuki-akari.

Chu-shu is quite a unique colour in my collection. I define it as a purplish grey. Chu-shu seems to mean "mid-fall", "mid-autumn", although I can't understand why mid-fall means this colour. Maybe it's the colour of the earth? or the night sky?

Splash

(photo, scan)

The sheen is subtle and only visible in a splash like this with a lot of ink on paper.

fpn_1462874778__chushu-spl.jpg

Sample

Rather water resistant, nice surprise.

fpn_1462874797__chushu.jpg

Comparison

with: Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun, KWZI Grey Plum, KWZI Brown Pink, Iroshizuku Kiri-same, Diamine Grey, R&K Salix and R&K Scabiosa.

I think Chu-shu is like a saturated Fuyu-syogun. While I dislike Fuyu-syogun I'm quite fond of Chu-shu. I wonder whether we can get a colour like Chu-shu by mixing Fuyu-syogun and Grey Plum.

fpn_1462874795__chushu-comp.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Tas

• bstnnyc

• visvamitra

Thanks for the review, it's a really interesting colour! Much prettier than I'd thought it'd look just from Sailor's little swatch. Do you happen to have the Kobe Tamon Purple Grey? I wonder if it'd be at all similar.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Thanks for the review, it's a really interesting colour! Much prettier than I'd thought it'd look just from Sailor's little swatch. Do you happen to have the Kobe Tamon Purple Grey? I wonder if it'd be at all similar.

No I don't have that... I'm not a great fan of grey inks.

Great review! Thanks for sharing:)

Btw, do you have Maruzen Nihonbashi Hatobanezu? From your comparison it seems to be somewhere between Chu-shu and Fuyu-Syougun....

Great review! Thanks for sharing:)

Btw, do you have Maruzen Nihonbashi Hatobanezu? From your comparison it seems to be somewhere between Chu-shu and Fuyu-Syougun....

Sorry I don't have that either... I don't have anything from Maruzen. I'd love a bottle of Akane though.

Really nice presentation... love your reviews. But this color doesn't do it for me. I feel like I have many similar ones.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for the wonderful review and comparisons. I had especially wondered whether it was similar to Grey-Plum

Thanks. I love it because I see aubergine in it. I'd order it immediately if I knew that that would work... but I'm 99% sure that that would not work....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great review as always! I've been MIA this year because of school and work but so happy to see your wonderful reviews. I'm not the biggest fan of greys but, I love this one and especially in a wet vintage flex nib where the ink is able to pool more so you get a higher concentration of dark grey and the subtle sheen is able to make a cameo. I need to switch a couple bulbs in my apt (well i've been meaning to switch them for the past 5 months :blush: ....) but here's my favorite nib and paper combo for this ink.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/FullSizeRender-1_zpsneycjxpi.jpg

And here is an example of the difference in shading when using a modern nib (which I'm still trying to adapt to :) ... )

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/FullSizeRender_zps1mlmema2.jpg

Great review as always! I've been MIA this year because of school and work but so happy to see your wonderful reviews. I'm not the biggest fan of greys but, I love this one and especially in a wet vintage flex nib where the ink is able to pool more so you get a higher concentration of dark grey and the subtle sheen is able to make a cameo. I need to switch a couple bulbs in my apt (well i've been meaning to switch them for the past 5 months :blush: ....) but here's my favorite nib and paper combo for this ink.

And here is an example of the difference in shading when using a modern nib (which I'm still trying to adapt to :) ... )

Hi Bstnnyc! Long time no see! Good to see you again and your beautiful writing with Le Petit Prince quote!

Chu-shu seems to mean "mid-fall", "mid-autumn", although I can't understand why mid-fall means this colour. Maybe it's the colour of the earth? or the night sky?

I think Chushu was made for ink bottles of first 500 Profit Realo set from the first.

See this post https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/127139-sailor-profit-realo/

Chushu means the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar and in this case the words alludes

to the harvest moon because Chushu reminds people in Japan of the autumnal lunar festival, enjoying

the light of the harvest moon. So the color,a kind of blue grey, perhaps expresses the color of night

under the silver light of the harvest moon.

rokurinpapa

Edited by rokurinpapa

I think Chushu was made for ink bottles of first 500 Profit Realo set from the first.

See this post https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/127139-sailor-profit-realo/

Chushu means the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar and in this case the words alludes

to the harvest moon because Chushu reminds people in Japan of the autumnal lunar festival, enjoying

the light of the harvest moon. So the color,a kind of blue grey, perhaps expresses the color of night

under the silver light of the harvest moon.

rokurinpapa

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

i find this ink looks more purple with pilot custom 74 and looks more grey with pilot bamboo. it certainly interesting to see how different the color shade can be using different pens.

-rudy-

• 1 month later...