Dark Lilac - Lamy

visvamitra

i got an inadvertent sample of this when i bought an empty Lamy bottle for decanting other inks into, and this was the ink the bottle had held before. there was just enough left in the "nipple" of the bottle to dip my Ahab's nib and feed, and get one line of test writing.

if this ink were waterfast, i'd be very interested. the colour is an eye-catching dark purple, almost plum --- if you like purple, you'll love this, if not you won't --- but the shading...! there's just tons of it. you'll definitely want it in a nice wet nib.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tamiya

• AndyYNWA

• chromantic

• Cyber6

Thanks for the detailed review!

I was hoping I would be able to produce some sheen when writing with a fountain pen similar to how Sailor inks would behave, but nope, at least not with the Twsbi bold nib. The ink color of dark lilac is very satisfying to look at, so I don't regret it that much.

Thanks for the detailed review!

I was hoping I would be able to produce some sheen when writing with a fountain pen similar to how Sailor inks would behave, but nope, at least not with the Twsbi bold nib. The ink color of dark lilac is very satisfying to look at, so I don't regret it that much.

Sheen is very dependent on paper. You need a broad wet pen, and a coated paper. Tomoe River is one of the best. I believe Clairefontaine works too.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

For those slow to buy this LE when it came out wonderpens.ca (not associated) just got a small shipment in.

It's a really nice, well behaving ink and the color is also very appealing. The subtile golden sheen is just the icing on the cake... :wub:

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Sheen is very dependent on paper. You need a broad wet pen, and a coated paper. Tomoe River is one of the best. I believe Clairefontaine works too.

C.

I'll have to try it on those papers. It does NOT appear to sheen on Rhodia. But then, I don't have it in a pen with a broad nib (it's in my Dark Lilac Safari which has an F nib).

But even without sheen it's an absolutely gorgeous ink. I hope places get it back in soon (I gather that at Goulet Pens it sold out in something like 2 hours...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I managed to snag a bottle off ebay today. I have my name on the waiting list with Goulet but thought I could be so far down the list that the shipment would be gone before they got to me. If not, I'll have 2 bottles - yay?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I'll have to try it on those papers. It does NOT appear to sheen on Rhodia. But then, I don't have it in a pen with a broad nib (it's in my Dark Lilac Safari which has an F nib).

But even without sheen it's an absolutely gorgeous ink. I hope places get it back in soon (I gather that at Goulet Pens it sold out in something like 2 hours...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

It sheens on Oxford Optik for me, and also shows a hint of a halo on medium quality copy paper.

I have only had the ink in a Pilot Custom 74 with an M nib.

YNWA - JFT97

I've really struggled to see any sheen in this ink. I've put it in very wet pens and tried it on Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Tomoe River Paper......and nothing; absolutely nothing. I must be doing something wrong.

I've really struggled to see any sheen in this ink. I've put it in very wet pens and tried it on Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Tomoe River Paper......and nothing; absolutely nothing. I must be doing something wrong.

I think it needs a wet pen, my Custom 74 is on the wet side of the spectrum.

I tried it on Rhodia... No sheen! Strange...

Oxford Optik gives me a lot of sheen.

YNWA - JFT97

Yes.. you are doing something wrong.. I can get spit to sheen on Tomoe !!.. :lol: :lol:

Try with a wet pen.. ;)

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I think it needs a wet pen, my Custom 74 is on the wet side of the spectrum.

I tried it on Rhodia... No sheen! Strange...

Oxford Optik gives me a lot of sheen.

Really??... I don't get any sheen on Rhodia on a regular basis. My Black N'Red sheens quite nicely (and is cheap)..

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Really??... I don't get any sheen on Rhodia on a regular basis. My Black N'Red sheens quite nicely (and is cheap)..

C.

I haven't used Rhodia that much. I just had a feeling it was just as "sheen prone" as Oxford Optik...

YNWA - JFT97

I haven't used Rhodia that much. I just had a feeling it was just as "sheen prone" as Oxford Optik...

Oh no .. it is not. At least in my experience, Rhodia has never sheen on me... (or extremely rare)..

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

My Dark Lilac is extremely wet, or, at least my brand new, unmisused Safari with a B nib thinks so.

That ink sheens easily on Claire Velouté 90 g/m2, on Rhodia too, even if only somewhat (Bloc Rhodia No 11, 80 g/m2, white).

BTW for fellow German FP nuts and those in the vicinity where bottles of this stuff are in the prohibition range, check out Marcin and Magda at http://www.pioromaniak.pl/sklep/lamy-t52-dark-lilac-atrament-do-pior-wiecznych/. One Bottle = 29 Zlotys*. 1 Polish Zloty (PLN) = 0.225 EUR = 0.173 GBP = 0.252 USD. (Yes, that does not include shipping). No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

* 29 PLN comes in today at 6.53 EUR, whereas the online price (and/or store price) of the available Lamy T52 bottles in Germany is 9.00 EUR.

Wowza.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

My Dark Lilac is extremely wet, or at least my brand new, unmisused Safari with a B nib thinks so.

That ink sheens easily on Claire Velouté 90 g/m2, on Rhodia too, even if only somewhat (Bloc Rhodia No 11, 80 g/m2, white).

BTW for fellow German FP nuts and those in the vicinity where bottles of this stuff are in the prohibition range, check out Marcin and Madga at http://www.pioromaniak.pl/sklep/lamy-t52-dark-lilac-atrament-do-pior-wiecznych/. One Bottle = 29 Zlotys*. 1 Polish Zloty (PLN) = 0.225 EUR = 0.173 GBP = 0.252 USD. (Yes, that does not include shipping). No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

* 29 PLN comes in today at 6.53 EUR, whereas the online price (and/or store price) of the available Lamy T52 bottles in Germany is 9.00 EUR.

Wowza.

My Polish has some weak spots (to say the least)... :P

What payment methods do they accept? PayPal? Or just money transfer directly to their account?

Do they ship outside of Poland? If yes, what are the rates within EU?

YNWA - JFT97

Hi! Sure, I paid by PayPal, absolutely no problem. Shipping to me was 66 PLN. That was for a total including other bottles and also cartridges. All registered and with tracking and insurance. Best thing would be -- I think -- to mail him (marcin.milewski@pioromaniak.pl) and ask. I also got other Lamys not available here.

Tell him "Mike sent me".

:)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks!

Hi! Sure, I paid by PayPal, absolutely no problem. Shipping to me was 66 PLN. That was for a total including other bottles and also cartridges. All registered and with tracking and insurance. Best thing would be -- I think -- to mail him (marcin.milewski@pioromaniak.pl) and ask. I also got other Lamys not available here.

Tell him "Mike sent me".

:)

YNWA - JFT97

Isn't Rhodia's paper the same as Clairefontaine? I get the golden sheen with lots of shading using this ink on both Rhodia and Clairefontaine notebooks/pads. Of course, I use it with bold or >1mm stubs ...