Dip-Pen Nibs-Is It Possible To Buy A Modern, Gold Nib With A Built On Ink Reservoir?

Wolverine1

Have a question for the FPN brains trust. Hope you can help me. I use my dip-pens quite a lot. Obviously, I use mostly vintage steel nibs. Now has anyone seen or used any modern manufactured gold dip-pen nibs? Are such nibs even manufactured? I would like to, if at all possible, get a dip-pen nib of the kind that has a ink reservoir built in ( kind of like in some Mitchell steel dip-pen nibs). Am I just imagining things or are such gold nibs made? Thanks for your help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolverine1

• Pickwick

• ac12

• Cryptos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never come across modern ones. A fellow member sent me some unused gold plated Arnold nibs, which I believe were made for fountain pens. There are some gold plated dip pen nibs offered on eBay. I'm having some success experimenting with old fountain pen feeds inserted in a dip pen holder. So far I get and average 57 words each dip.

Photo attached.

post-42070-0-48452100-1457962057_thumb.jpg

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Not gold, and gold would not make any sense for a dip pen nib. This is because a dip pen nib does not have any tipping, so the tip wears down. If it were made of gold, it would really wear down FAST. If you want the color of gold, then the best is to take your dip pen nibs to a jeweler that does gold plating, and ask if he can gold plate it for you.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Have a question for the FPN brains trust. Hope you can help me. I use my dip-pens quite a lot. Obviously, I use mostly vintage steel nibs. Now has anyone seen or used any modern manufactured gold dip-pen nibs? Are such nibs even manufactured? I would like to, if at all possible, get a dip-pen nib of the kind that has a ink reservoir built in ( kind of like in some Mitchell steel dip-pen nibs). Am I just imagining things or are such gold nibs made? Thanks for your help.

If you are looking for a gold nib that flexes like a steel dip nib then you should seek the old brands like Mabie Todd, Aiken Lambert, ES Johnson, and John Holland. There are others but I cannot name them all.

Gold, tipped, dip pens are not uncommon. I recently sold 5 such pens, and considering that I live thousands of miles from anywhere civilised I would imagine you would have considerably less trouble sourcing such items than I did.

Then it's a matter of finding a feed that fits, or acquiring some ebonite feed material and having a go at hand carving your own.