Levenger True Writer Origin?

DustyR

Hello all. I've read that in the past Levenger has had pen bodies made in Italy, Japan, Germany and France, and by some big makers. Does anyone know who makes (made?) the True Writers that are on the secondary market right now (and appear to be the same material and design as pens currently available directly from Levenger)? Below is the style, without the metal section. I asked customer service at Levenger and they would only say "Germany." The nib is marked Germany, but there is no Country of Origin mark on the barrel, cap or box.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ee/7d/ce/ee7dce2a6f51cfd386f96171938bbff3.jpg

Edited by DustyR

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DustyR

• TSherbs

• Runnin_Ute

• ScienceChick

Every one I've tried was made in Hell (and no, not Grand Cayman).

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I have three I purchased on eBay (Levenger Outlet) and they are fine pens. I can even use their nibs in other pens.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

me too, my True Writer is absolutely fantastic - looks stunning and writes just as nicely. Got it from Speerbob on eBay, no idea where it was made though. Totally recommend this one, especially in Delft Blue...

I have a black marble Truewriter. The nib clearly says Germany. If one looks on the back side of the clip, it is stamped "Taiwan."

I bought it with a Levenger gift certificate I received for Christmas a few years ago, and I have been hooked on fountain pens since. It is still a favorite, and nearly always inked.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Thanks! I thought I had looked all over my new (NOS) Raven True Writer, but you're correct: despite Levenger CS's comment, the backside of clip is marked "Taiwan" (unless that only refers to the clip, but I doubt it). So maybe TaShin/TWSBI? I had originally asked because the cap jewel arrived unattached in the box, and I wanted some input on what to stick it back on with (I ended up using epoxy). The close exam of the pen and lack of visible COO designation made me curious.

The pen wrote well out of the box: very smooth, no skipping, med. wet. It wrote like a more expensive or tuned nib (I gather this has become more common in recent years - I use mostly vintage pens and have only bought a few new ones in the past years, and most of those have been Japanese "fine" pts., which have their own distinct writing characteristics). Unfortunately, the "fine" nib on the TW was more like a medium in width. I lubed up a fine diamond hone with water and with a few minutes of careful work it's now closer to what I think of a s a "fine," though not as fine and wet as a Sailor or Pilot "fine." I then smoothed it with a fingernail buffer. I love the resin which is why I bought it in the first place: charcoal. silver and a little sparkly.

.... I lubed up a fine diamond hone with water and with a few minutes of careful work it's now closer to what I think of a s a "fine," though not as fine and wet as a Sailor or Pilot "fine." I then smoothed it with a fingernail buffer. I love the resin which is why I bought it in the first place: charcoal. silver and a little sparkly.

What's a diamond hone?

My True Writer medium is too broad for me.

I have (2) True Writers, and the Kyoto being one of them. My Kyoto is a med. nib, and my purple one is a broad nib. That broad nib writes like butter. However, I prefer broad or 1.1 nibs. They both wrote well right out of the box. I trust that your nib now writes as you prefer

The Germanic origins for the nib is expected. I wouldn't be surprised if my Kyoto's cap and barrel were made in Italy, as it feels similar to other Italian pens I've handled, in terms of material aesthetics and weight (or does the name Kyoto imply origins on the other side of the globe?). A fantastic, dependable writer, for sure, no matter the origins.

Edited by spaceink

What's a diamond hone?

My True Writer medium is too broad for me.

Eze-Lap, like these (the most common):

http://eze-lap.com/control/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/EZ_LPAK5_3106.jpg

This is the one I used (same brand, but oval shaped):

http://eze-lap.com/control/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/EZ_D5_3069.jpg

I have (2) True Writers, and the Kyoto being one of them. My Kyoto is a med. nib, and my purple one is a broad nib. That broad nib writes like butter. However, I prefer broad or 1.1 nibs. They both wrote well right out of the box. I trust that your nib now writes as you prefer

It's a lot better. I probably could have taken it down more, but I'm no expert at this and erred on the side of caution. Luckily this particular nib had a lot of tipping material to work with (which may be why it seemed to write such a wide line in the first place).

If I had thought ahead, I would have started a "before and after" sheet of writing. I was able to pull a sheet out of the trash I had written on before the grinding and the new line is probably only .2mm thinner, but in writing on small gridded paper that's probably all the difference I needed.

Edited by DustyR

Here's the pen, with a writing sample in Sailor Jentle Blue/Black and comparison with a Sailor 1911 (Jentle Black):

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h286/bakuma/IMG_1272_zps4rm5l8qb.jpg

I have the True Writer Silver Anniversary - brass barrel so it has some weight (30 grams), the nibs are sourced from Schmidt in Germany I believe. It is a pretty wet writer. I have Levenger Pomegranate in it right now. I was never to concerned about country of origin though.

I just remembered I still had the box and papers. The closest thing to any indication is a small round sticker on the box that says "Box Made in China". Whether that is where the pen is made or not is anyone's guess.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a black marble Truewriter. The nib clearly says Germany. If one looks on the back side of the clip, it is stamped "Taiwan."

Just checked my Truewriter. Same "Taiwan" stamp underside of clip.