Haro I Glass Nib Fountain Pen Repair

Inksomnia

I recently bought this beautiful glass nib fountain pen. I really like this pen. It's perfect size for my really small hands and color is beautiful. But this pen seriously needs repair. This is lever filler, so sac is completely destroyed, pen rattles. I think clip isn't original. Nib is slightly damaged, really scratchy. But I really want to restore this pen. Problem is, I haven't restored any fountain pens before.

post-124463-0-59764100-1452619169_thumb.jpg

post-124463-0-43004700-1452619180.jpg

I need some advice. Is it even safe to try remove section, since it's may be glued? Lever feels spring loaded, so would this bring some issues, like flying springs? Is this celluloid safety to soak? Since pen may be full of dried ink. I got small black pieces on my desk and stained my hands, when tried lever system first time.

Nib needs little work. It has one broken "tine" and it is really scratchy. I have bad feeling about replacement nibs, that they may be hard or impossible to find. Smoothing is possible, but how hard is it to do on glass nib?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Inksomnia

• tryphon

• Charles Rice

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have smoothed a new (not chipped) glass nib with 12,000 grit microcloth and it reduced its scratchiness quite a bit without harming it as a writing pen. However, it is not going to restore a chipped nib. But, by smoothing off the sharp edges you may make it smoother.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

You can try soaking the section in warm water (not hot) to loosen it, or a hairdrier on a low setting. The springiness is a good thing, that means the j- bar still works. Don't worry,it won't fly out, it's more like a strip than a spring☺

I've seen replacement glass nibs on occasion, but they are rare. Maybe a jeweler could smooth it out for you till a replacement can be found.

I always wanted a glass nib fountain pen, no luck so far.

Nice find!

BTW, Welcome from the Twilight Zone!

I always wanted a glass nib fountain pen, no luck so far.

Z

Take a look at this site.

http://www.winkpens.com/

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

You can buy a new glass nib.

I see some from time to time.

There is no brand, nothing printed on it, so it will like the original.

Thanks all for replies, you have helped me alot!

It was surprisingly easy to remove section. It needed only little heating with hairdryer and patience. Pen was full of dried ink and petrified sac pieces. Some pieces were attached to mechanism, so I used small crochet hook to get all pieces of sac out. I'm ordering a new sac online with shellac, chalk and micro mesh. I try to save this nib, it actually feels too brittle to get out in one piece.

post-124463-0-98973800-1452706731_thumb.jpg

But I am just confused about one thing. Does this pen have feed at all? Since I haven't found any.

Section seems to be full of dried ink. I noticed these small holes on top of the section. Plastic looked like it have take some corrode damage or something is missing. I really know nothing about this pen past life. I bought this pen in set on general buy and sell site with other fountain pens. Other "fountain pens" were: everesto stilo without nib and feed, really old Parker propelling pencil and generic old and broken ballpoint. So I think previous owner haven't opened this pen. Is this section fine? I haven't yet clean this.

post-124463-0-93147400-1452706764_thumb.jpg

Don't try to remove the nib, you may damage/break it trying to remove it.

The general rule that I follow is, do not remove the nib/feed, unless you really have to, like the nib is broken and needs to be replaced.

Soak the section in a glass of water, nib up or down, so that the dried ink inside the section will dissolve and drift out of the section.

Better if you have an UltraSonic Cleaner. Suspend the section so the nib does NOT touch the tank, and let the USC do its thing.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com