Stupid Waterman Pens

HamFist

I should be collecting something new and fancy but noooooo I had to go and order a 3rd waterman carene :)

Charcoal grey silver trim with stock stub nib. My other 2 carense have fine and extra fine nibs mostly for math and physics. Getting this one just for writing.

I do like the Lamy 2000 a lot but the very stiff nib of Carene really lands itself to my writing style, I dont write well or neatly I just attack the paper with rapid strokes and direction changes and it gives me plenty of feedback.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• mr2txaggie

• RMN

Ah...but what a way to suffer!

"Knowledge may give weight, but accomplishments give lustre, and many more people see than weigh."

Lord Chesterfield

I love my Carene and love writing with it. I also love my Lamy 2000 and writing with it too.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Where's the stupidity in this? I don't see it in the above.

Perhaps I should look in my own pen box. Carenes in fine, extra fine, medium and broad; black, blue, Amber Marine and Sea Garden respectively. Bought first pen NOS, cap doesn't post. Like colors, so buy three more. Stupid caps still don't post. Must be the loose nut in the chair.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

No! No! No!

I should have never opened this thread.

I had thought of collecting different flavors of the Carene. And I successfully fought down the urge.

Now you've resurrected the urge.

... must resist ...

... resistance is NOT futile ...

... Is it?

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

He is suffering with his 3rd Carene and I am still dreaming about my signature. :crybaby:

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

My other 2 carense have fine and extra fine nibs mostly for math and physics. Getting this one just for writing.

I thought they were all for writing. I now have to go through all mine to sort them out :wacko:

Two black & gold, blue-gray, Amber Shimmer, Black & Silver, Silver! Need to track down a Green Sea and life's complete :-)

Do you mean the green shimmer pen, or is there another green I am not aware of?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

He is suffering with his 3rd Carene and I am still dreaming about my signature. :crybaby:

Ask Force how many he has.

No don't I must get that #5 RR sorted.

The Green Shimmer is officially called Sea Garden.

Edited by Force

I only have a single Carène and don't foresee ever starting a collection, but I'm mighty glad I have that one. I hope you can get yours sooner rather than later, and that it meets your expectations as mine has.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I have always wanted a Carene. I have been looking and looking and it is one pen that, despite being out there in great numbers, has eluded me. I am not paying the insane local prices on these to buy one over the counter, so have been looking at used ones but boy-o Carenes seem to hold their value. Also, really want a stub and as far as I can tell only the people on the boards have them haha.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• 3 weeks later...

This is how one ends up with a fistful of little brown pens that aren't anything special until you start writing...

The least expensive Carene I got is a black GT fountain pen I put together from a fountain pen barrel and cap plus an EF section. About $100 US. You can probably get a used Carene cheaper, though.

My Carene Story:

I bought my first Carene ( I've only two, not a collection ), about three months after my Fountain Pen Addiction began. I had been using Fine Nibs and decided to go to a Medium sized. So, I checked the radio dot in front of the Medium. When I received my beautiful Shimmering Amber I started practicing with it.

Now,do know that I hadn't used FPs very much in my life. Actually, in the infinite wisdom of our educational system we were introduced to pens one year and that was all we were allowed to use them. My Father being a practical man if it wasn't absolutely necessary it was not bought. So as most of us I moved on with life. I retired? ???? some years ago. I had interests, hobbies, family and various things to fill my time. But a few years ago I found I had an increasing interest in FPs, ink and of course paper.

Now on with my Carene when I was writing with it my not-so- neat writing improved many fold. I compared the writing with that of a different pen. Then another and another, another and so forth. Finally, nothing slow about me, I thought to look at the invoice. Yup, I hadn't ordered a Medium nib rather I'd purchased a Stub. I'm not saying that this is the single reason for the improvement and I now have other brands & sizes of nibs but the Stubs seem to fit my style.

One more thought, when Waterman announced the end of the production of the Sapphire, did I panic and run out and buy one? No, but I did order one as fast as my fingers would move. I'd eyed it & wanted it for the few years I'd been under the spell of pens. I knew I wanted a new one, not NOS, used only new would do. I didn't work all those years without a Fun Fund. That's my story and as they say I'm sticking to it.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

One more thought, when Waterman announced the end of the production of the Sapphire,

Sapphire ? Do you mean the Edson Sapphire.

If so Waterman have not officially announced its discontinuation unless you can provide hard proof they have.