Scriptorium Pens - Master Scrivener (Deuce Of Gears)

requiescat

Introduction:

I had been looking lustfully at Scriptorium Pens' pens for some time, so when I made my first novel sales (a space opera trilogy), I commissioned a pen to celebrate. I liked the Master Scrivener design and chose the small size because I have not-large hands (I find that a Pelikan M200 is exactly perfect ergonomically, if that's any indication). I was especially taken with the ability to choose the colors and the addition of a roll-stopper because the pen was going to be themed after one of the characters, who has an emblem with two gears on it.

1. Appearance and Design: 10

I had fallen in love with Conway Stewart's Red Stardust acrylic, but I also wanted black finials and section, two jeweler's brass cap bands, and a clear ink window because I have a ridiculous weakness for ink windows. Renee said that she could accommodate these!

I also saw that she was offering roll-stoppers done through mysterious means by repurposing earrings. I asked if it would be possible to do a roll-stopper with two gears in a particular configuration (see my icon) and she said yes!

Even though I had specified a lot of things, what Renee did to realize them came out even better than I had hoped for. She did a magnificent job creating the pen of my dreams. The gears are even so precisely placed that the teeth mesh (although they don't turn, since they're glued/soldered in place). Just looking at the pen delights me.

Her photos show the pen best:

But I've taken some of my own

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/sp-sj-pen01.png

Capped: Waterman 52V on top, Pelikan M200 demonstrator in middle, Scriptorium Master Scrivener on bottom

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/sp-sj-pen02.png

Uncapped: Waterman 52V on top (capped, sorry about that), Pelikan M200 demonstrator posted in middle, Scriptorium Master Scrivener on bottom

(the ink in the Master Scrivener here is Noodler's Red-Black--I took these photos some days ago)

In particular, it's hard to describe the Red Stardust. The photos don't do it justice. It's definitely a flashy colorway and therefore not for everyone, but in addition to being a lustrous translucent red, it has red sparkles in it, like hot and violent stars.

The Master Scrivener design is very attractive (although honestly, it was so hard to choose--if only I could afford a dozen more of Renee's pens).

2. Construction & Quality: 9

While I would be careful with the cap because of the gears, the pen feels very solid. I can slightly feel the joins of the finials, but honestly, how much time am I going to spend fondling the finials? It is very nearly perfect.

I should add that I'm not penalizing the pen for the fact that the roll-stopper gears are not actually very effective as roll-stoppers, mainly because they're so petite. The gears are purely there for aesthetic value, because I am ridiculous and the thought of having a gear-emblem steampunky pen made me happy!

3. Weight & Dimensions: 9

I got a standard Master Scrivener in the small size. While I prefer pens on the smaller side, this is still comfortable to use. The cap does not post. (You can put it in posting position, but the material is too slippery to grip; I'm not really sure how that works.) It's a light pen, which I also find congenial. I know some people prefer heavier pens but I like them light.

4. Nib & Performance: 10

I upgraded to the 18k gold F nib because this was a celebration pen and I wanted it to be special. (I've had perfectly fine steel nibs.) The nib has performed beautifully. It has a bit of feedback, but it writes reliably and has a moderately wet line. Here's a writing sample in Diamine Syrah, with bonus doodle:

http://yoonhalee.com/images-inks/sp-sj-d-syrah.png

As you can see, it's a firm fine nib, no softness/flex at all. That's fine; the Waterman 52V pictured above is a wet noodle. When I want to write with a wet noodle, I use that instead. I wanted something that was beautiful yet could also serve as a reliable workhorse pen. I've been using the Master Scrivener for a couple of weeks now and it's definitely successful in that regard.

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 10

I'm currently using the pen as a c/c with the included converter and have had no problems. I'm told that these pens can also be used as eyedroppers (I presume with silicone grease), but I haven't had the need. It's pretty standard in this regard. The nib unit screws out, although I'm happy with the nib so I don't foresee a need to replace it.

6. Cost & Value: 10

I paid for a bunch of upgrades: ink window, a bit extra for the Red Stardust material, more extra for the finials and cap bands, ditto the roll-stoppers. The biggest single upgrade money-wise was actually the gold nib. Here's the price breakdown:

$225: small Master Scrivener

$30: upgrade to Conway Stewart Red Stardust

$20: two-color pen (because of the black finials and section)

$110: 18k gold nib, Fine

$10: roll-stopper installation

$28: the roll-stoppers themselves

$50: 2 cap bands in brass (2 x $25)

$65: ink window

$12: insured US shipping

It came out to $550. For a customized pen that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else, I feel like it was worth every penny.

7. Conclusion

Final Score: 58/60

I was on tenterhooks waiting for my pen to come in the queue (although watching Renée's Instagram is fun in itself, because of all the beautiful pens that she makes for customers!) and it came out even better than I had hoped for. It arrived carefully boxed, in a little gray velvet pouch. I've been using it as a daily writer and it is both a delight to the eyes and very functional.

If I sell more novels in the future, I might do this again for more celebration pens. :) Except, you know, different colors and designs. I have to say that I'm especially pleased with how nice the ink window looks--it just adds something, even though it's just as easy to unscrew the barrel and look at the ink level in the converter!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• requiescat

• visvamitra

• zaddick

• NinthSphere

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on a lovely pen. Renée does great work and you will be happy with it for a lifetime. A small price to pay for a memento of an important accomplishment.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Ooh, I saw that one. Beautiful pen. Love the gold/brass bits with the Stardust.

I've got one in the queue now. Worse than Kickstarter ;) , but hopefully around Jan/Feb it'll come up.