What Is "the Best" Lead Holder?

Martini1R

What is the best lead holder in the market? It doesn't have to be 2.0mm but that is something I have in mind.

I have several current issues from Faber and Staedtler. They are nice but I am starting to look for an all metal higher end lead holder. I bought the caran d'ache one as well but find it a little too short and too light to my liking.

Are there anything else out there?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martini1R

• a m a r g o

• flatline

• jabberwock11

I prefer a knock style lead holder and the Rotring Rapid-Pro is my current favorite. Mine has been reliable and the weight and ballance allow for comfortable use.

If I had a choice I would only change the diameter to be a little larger, but most 2mm lead holders are a bit small for me.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

have you tried staedtler 925-20 the Japanese model? since I would reckon a lot of people would say about Koh-i-noor lead holders

of course there's also the Rotring 800 probably from Japan as well

I can't say about Lamy Scribble

Yes I do have a Staedtler 925 35-20. It's in blue. The only draw back is the tip doesn't fit into the Staedtler lead sharpener very well. I have to advance the lead out of the comfort zone and risk breaking it as I sharpen. Clutch holders are better in this department.

I prefer a knock style lead holder and the Rotring Rapid-Pro is my current favorite. Mine has been reliable and the weight and ballance allow for comfortable use.

If I had a choice I would only change the diameter to be a little larger, but most 2mm lead holders are a bit small for me.

Rotring is high up on my list and perhaps I'll try the 600 2mm first. The 800 feels very nice but I may go for 0.7 if I buy one.

Leadholder.com is magnificently obsessive on the range of lead holders out there. Seems to have stopped updating, understandably.
Have you seen the Penxo?

Leadholder.com! Boy that site got me started (again) on leadholders. The Penxo is pure design school product which is my cup of tea. Wonder if the lead would slide out too easily though. :)

Lamy Scribble with 3.15 lead is a good'un

Thanks. I'll take a look at that next time I go to a stationary store. Looks decent.

Leadholder.com! Boy that site got me started (again) on leadholders. The Penxo is pure design school product which is my cup of tea. Wonder if the lead would slide out too easily though. :)

Unlikely - it clamps down tight. So tight I haven't yet got the hang of one-handed adjustment (backed the Kickstarter, took delivery Wednesday).

Thanks. I'll take a look at that next time I go to a stationary store. Looks decent.

According to leadholder.com, the Scribbler by David Hayward preceded the Lamy Scribble, which it resembles, by several years. Current Scribblers look different but might deliver the all-metal high-end heft you seek.

The best lead holder? Red Cedar. :)

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Yes the scribbler is cool.

The bling Caran is not bad, I have the 100 year anni ver but find it a little too light and small for my liking. Not to say it is not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Lamy Scribble with 3.15 lead recently. They only come in 4B lead, but I find that a good hardness for general sketching. I used to use a 2mm and then I tried a 5.5mm lead holder. Finding an inexpensive pointer for the 5.5 proved to be a challenge. The Lamy Scribble seems to be the sweet spot for me. The lead holder has a great balance and weight and I like the thicker lead. KUM makes a nice pointer that can handle wooden pencils and has a 2mm and 3.15mm sharpener. I've been happy with this new setup.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

EoC has two lead holders. One is a Koh-i-noor Toison D'Or 5900 that takes 2 mm refills, and the other is a Worther Stubby that takes 5.6 mm refills. Both suit this one's needs, though eyes are on others. Pencils are hard to resist, though EoC has never had the opportunity to try a Blackwing as they do not exist in this part of the world.

What is the best lead holder in the market? It doesn't have to be 2.0mm but that is something I have in mind.

I have several current issues from Faber and Staedtler. They are nice but I am starting to look for an all metal higher end lead holder. I bought the caran d'ache one as well but find it a little too short and too light to my liking.

Are there anything else out there?

Define: Best

And for what purpose are you going to use it? Writing, sketching. technical?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Define: Best

And for what purpose are you going to use it? Writing, sketching. technical?

D.ick

Fair Question. I purposely leave it for everyone to interpret what his/her "best" is.

To me, many head holders can do just all three nicely, given the lead can be adjusted in length and the type of lead can be changed. Some feels better in the hand because of the weight and balance. My current favorite is the Faber TK9400 because it is also clipless. However, it lacks that high end feel.

If you find the CdA too short, there's also the Fixpencil 77. You don't see it in stores too much but it does have the traditional pencil-length of older leadholders.

The Wörther Slight is a delight... The Rotring 600 lead holders are so well made they feel amazing in the hand.

If you find the CdA too short, there's also the Fixpencil 77. You don't see it in stores too much but it does have the traditional pencil-length of older leadholders.

Oh, thanks for the info. It does look to have the right length to me. I won't mind picking one up if I see it on line. Like you've said, don't see it in stock easily.

The Wörther Slight is a delight... The Rotring 600 lead holders are so well made they feel amazing in the hand.

I just checked out the Worther Slight. Looks interesting. The lead is 1.18mm? That's the only pen I see in this spec.

Yes, Rotring is nice. I recently picked up a 800 (in 0.7mm) in black and love the feel of it. I already have the Staedtler 2.0 mechanical pencil so I won't get the Rotring 800 2mm. I prefer the old school clutch 2mm. It's not available in my area so I will need to search for that online.

Yes I do have a Staedtler 925 35-20. It's in blue. The only draw back is the tip doesn't fit into the Staedtler lead sharpener very well. I have to advance the lead out of the comfort zone and risk breaking it as I sharpen.

Uni makes an excellent sharpener that works perfectly with the Staedtler 925 35-20. I have both the Uni sharpener and the Staedtler lead holder, they work well together.

My favorite lead holder is the EcoFriends Baile 2mm holder. It is similar in design to the Staedtler, but it has a triangular grip, a built in lead pointer, and is plastic (so it is much lighter). I have only found it on eBay and in a couple of obscure online sites. It's available in blue, black, or silver.

I find that I can write longer with a lightweight plastic holder, but if you are only after heavier metal holders then I think the Staedtler 925 35-20 is really the best all around holder on the market.

A nice not-quite lead holder, not-quite mechanical pencil is the Retro 51 1.15mm pencil. I have the "stealth" version. It is all metal, has a nice weight, and a huge eraser.

Uni Sharpener:

http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-2-mm-Pencil-Lead-Sharpener/pd/5386

Ecofriends Baile:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/MECHANICAL-PENCIL-2MM-LEAD-HOLDER-CLUTCH-PENCIL-FREE-SHIPPING-/251544214910?nav=SEARCH

Retro 51 Stealth:

http://www.jetpens.com/Retro-51-Tornado-Black-Stealth-Mechanical-Pencil-1.15-mm/pd/8481?gclid=Cj0KEQiA96CyBRDk5qOtp5vz8LkBEiQA6wx8MO0d-ANaeAQ2SpNaggFb8AxK9j_ApjjEaCZh_zmsLfcaAp2A8P8HAQ

http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/015/15900.jpg

http://static1.jetpens.com/images/a/000/015/15901.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e~UAAOxyVaBS19zf/s-l500.jpg

http://static2.jetpens.com/images/a/000/035/35340.jpg?s=2ff2589464798fbf9626d43688d8ed27

Edited by jabberwock11