Montblanc Henry Moore

Pravda

Had the pleasure of seeing this pen today :)

It does appear non-attractive in pictures as a previous thread consensus indicated BUT in real life it is one magnificent piece of art!

The mother of pearl is concave to fit the surface of the cap. It took very special effort to find pearls that have that natural curvature.

The barrel resin is see-through and you can see the mechanism moving.

The gold body and overall design of the pen is very 'organic' as the boutique manager said in his own words. It felt like something made by nature.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• isaacrn

• CS388

• HermetiC

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...Pass

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

That's an interesting design, both in terms of a homage to Henry Moore and as a demonstrator pen. FWIW, Moore's sculpture didn't (and still doesn't) appeal to everyone, so I guess if you like his sculpture, you'll probably like the pen's design too.

That said, I find it more interesting as a demonstrator pen - very different than the usual 'skeleton' motif that MB has been using, like for the Blue Hour and 90th Anniversary skeletons.

(BTW, I thought that Mother of Pearl was the shimmery stuff on the inside of the shell, not the pearl itself?)

From what I gleaned visiting his home and studio he was a very humble man without any extravagances. Not sure this pen and it's laryness sits well with his ethos :mellow:

The pen is not my tastes, but I can appreciate MBs effort to make unique pens.

One think I dislike about these pens is that they often use the #6 nib instead of the #9. Since few of these pens will ever be written with, I think the #9 makes for a better show piece under display lights.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I grew up playing around a Henry Moore in a park by my childhood home (Kenwood House in London). Can't say I see the resemblance...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Henry Moore was a unique and gifted artist.

We can all draw a wobbly-lined human form with a hole in it and call it 'a Henry Moore' - but we miss the point.

And Montblanc has missed the point here, imho. It's awful.

I'm surprised that the Moore estate has allowed it - and I'd imagine HM to be turning in his grave.

...snip...

the boutique manager said in his own words. It felt like something made by nature.

eg. dung?

(BTW, I thought that Mother of Pearl was the shimmery stuff on the inside of the shell, not the pearl itself?)

Yes, without Googling it, that's what I thought, too.

One think I dislike about these pens is that they often use the #6 nib instead of the #9. Since few of these pens will ever be written with, I think the #9 makes for a better show piece under display lights.

I think this is a good idea, for the show-piece pens. They're not limited by budget constraints and can sell for any price they choose. These pens live in a price bracket of their own invention.

Thanks for sharing, though. Even though I don't like it, it's always nice to see what's new in the Montblanc world.

ETA: Yes, mongrelnomad, the Kenwood House HM is still there. Always a joy to see these works in the great outdoors.

Edited by CS388