Victorian Dip Pen... What Do I Have?

Bunny_Police

Hello Everyone,

A couple of years ago I bought a dip pen on eBay from 'robmorrison'. I had no idea what it was at the time, and haven't been able to find out much about it since.

The body is marked 'Rauch & Co', whilst the nib is marked 'Dawson warren & Hyde'. It is by far the best flex nib I have ever used.

The seller himself didn't seem to know too much about the manufacturers of this pen or when it may have been made.

Does anybody know anything about these 2 names found on the pen, which may give me an idea as to when the pen was made?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

post-79206-0-58985300-1440018112_thumb.jpg

post-79206-0-41762800-1440017860_thumb.png

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bunny_Police

• AAAndrew

• Goudy

• ANM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not come across those makers before, but Kamakura Pens have them in their database as near neighbours in Maiden Lane, Manhattan in the late 19th century. The nibs produced in NY at that time were indeed some of the masterpieces of flex, and that looks like a lovely example.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Thanks for sharing that with me. I've just read through their small section on Dawson Warren & Hyde and found this:

'In the autumn of 1845, Rollin L. Dawson of Syracuse, N.Y., commenced with Mr. Hayden the manufacture of gold pens, and continued the business until March, 1848'

Does that imply that the nib dates back to the late 1840s? It feel that it sounds too early :huh:

Oliver

But in the second quote, from 1861, it says: "Dawson, Warren & Hyde have been engaged in the manufacture of gold pens, gold and silver pen and pencil cases, pen holders, &tc., &tc., since 1848, succeeding Josiah Hayden" and "Their business has greatly increased, and under their judicious management has proved very lucrative." So it looks like they were busy manufacturing pens into the 1860s at least.

You could try searching for some of their patents at Espacenet or Google Patents to pin the date a bit closer.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

I don't have any information about those companies but fountain pens were not very practical or popular until a little before 1890, so the pen you have probably predates that time. You pen point is retractable so it could travel without risk of damage to the pen (nib). Most of the pens I have seen like that also have a retractable pencil built in with it. It is not unusual for the nib and body to be made separately by different companies although some nib makers also made nib holders too.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Looks like a beauty!

Is hat a gold or steel nib? He shape looks like the gold nibs I've seen, but e color in the photo looks like steel.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Most of the pens I have seen like that also have a retractable pencil built in with it

Yep this one has a pencil built in as well.

The nib is also gold :)

post-79206-0-68905500-1440163302_thumb.png

The big question is: does it write as advertised?

I'm 17 at the moment and have been collecting and researching fountain pens for 5 years... My writing is nothing special I'm afraid, but you can get an idea as to how it writes.

I'd love to see what a professional would be able to do with a nib like this B)

post-79206-0-26853100-1440180816_thumb.jpg

Oooooh! That's a sweet one! You should try it with iron gall ink on a smooth paper like Canson Marker paper (often sold in art supply stores). Like this. Your thin lines will get thinner.

If you're interested in know just how to drive one of these performance machines, a great way to learn is by going to IAMPETH and downloading some guideline sheets and then getting Dr. Vitolo's eBook for iPad (if you have one), or one of the other instructional guides for copperplate or Spencerian.

Or, you can just always send it to me and I'll keep it safe (my precioussssss!). :D

fpn_1440172532__resist_temptation.jpg

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne