Can Anyone Identify This Pen?

Rebeaky

Hi there,

My grandad gave me this pen about 20 years ago and I recently came across it when clearing out some stuff in my house. It's seen better days and doesn't work properly (yet) and I have no idea of what kind of Parker pen it is to even begin looking for someone to repair it, it could be a fake for all I know. So any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-124431-0-29332100-1439248986_thumb.jpg

post-124431-0-71227200-1439249001_thumb.jpg

post-124431-0-20283400-1439249015_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captivelight

• mitto

• Manalto

• Mike 59

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you have one of the "rare", high-end Parker 45's. The Parker 45 was intended as a top-quality student's pen, but you know how rich people ruin everything :lticaptd: . Yours is very nice.

Notice the "compression" grooves, in the section of your pen. They are caused by the tension springs in the pen cap. I recommend storing the pen with the pen cap OFF.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Parker 45 Harlequin. Nice pen, should be easy to get into working order. The compression grooves shouldn't hurt anything, but best to store with cap off when empty.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Nice pen. A Parker 45 Harlequin. A replacement NOS nib section should be easily available. At least here they are found in hundreds with old pen / antique shops.

Clean the pen , get a new nib section , and start using it .

Khan M. Ilyas

Hi, Yes it's a Parker '45', but normally they are mostly made in plastic or stainless steel, but yours is more unusual than that.

Well worth getting working, they are nice pens to use everyday.

From the photo there is ink in it, but it will need to be soaked out. It's a simple DIY job really.

If you unsrcew the metal barrel, inside there should be a plastic cartridge or a metal filler system.

The ink cartridge is a push fit, remove it if you can, but if 'stuck' just leave it for now and start soaking it in water.

As it is a long time since it was used, I would put it all in a glass of cool water (minus the barrel) and leave it for a day.

Then change the water and repeat the soaking for another day.

Then stand the pen on a folded up paper towel, and ink should soak out into the paper.

You can test the pen by fitting a new Parker Quink cartridge, nothing else will fit, and see how it writes.

Parker Quink cartridges are on sale in all supermarkets and office supply type shops, you will need to buy 5 minimum, they are in gold and black boxes.

If you read the markings around the edge of the cap it will state where it was made, plus there will be a code mark such as PIII or AII.

That is Parker's way of giving the year and quarter of when it was made. They were mostly made in Newhaven, Sussex or USA's Parker factory.

Edited by Mike 59

Hi, Yes it's a Parker '45', but normally they are mostly made in plastic or stainless steel, but yours is more unusual than that.

Well worth getting working, they are nice pens to use everyday.

From the photo there is ink in it, but it will need to be soaked out. It's a simple DIY job really.

If you unsrcew the metal barrel, inside there should be a plastic cartridge or a metal filler system.

The ink cartridge is a push fit, remove it if you can, but if 'stuck' just leave it for now and start soaking it in water.

As it is a long time since it was used, I would put it all in a glass of cool water (minus the barrel) and leave it for a day.

Then change the water and repeat the soaking for another day.

Then stand the pen on a folded up paper towel, and ink should soak out into the paper.

You can test the pen by fitting a new Parker Quink cartridge, nothing else will fit, and see how it writes.

Parker Quink cartridges are on sale in all supermarkets and office supply type shops, you will need to buy 5 minimum, they are in gold and black boxes.

If you read the markings around the edge of the cap it will state where it was made, plus there will be a code mark such as PIII or AII.

That is Parker's way of giving the year and quarter of when it was made. They were mostly made in Newhaven, Sussex or USA's Parker factory.

I don't think th Halequins would have date codes on the caps as these were produced in the 1970s while the current date-coding system for Parker pens began in 1980s

Khan M. Ilyas

The Harlequin was also called the Harlequin 80 due to being released in 1980, not the 70's. There are some that are unmarked that were probably made in 1979 prior to their debut in the 1980 catalogue. The majority are marked.

Tony of the parkerpens.net writes :

"In the 1970s, during the big dip in the public's interest in fountain pens , the Parker 45 still continued to have an appeal. The Harlequin was introduced. It was a metal pen with an engraved pattern , either a circlet , or a shield. They came in grey or black , although rare prototypes in red , blue and green has [sic] surfaced. Production unfortunately proved too complicated and the line was soon discontinued".

It was , however , the Parker 45 TX that was introduced in 1980 (and discontinued in 1983).

Khan M. Ilyas

It was certainly designed in the 70's!

Mitto, parkerpens.net is a fantastic reference site to start from but once you dig a little deeper you might find that it isn't infallible and there are errors. For example they state:

"The 1970's saw the arrival of the Parker 45 Coronet in metallic colours of red, blue or grey, later adding metallic black, brown and blue."

When in fact there are many examples of Parker 45 Coronet that can be firmly dated as being sold at least as early as 1967. (Insurance and registration documents that give the date of sale as well as the model). The 1970's actually saw the release of the second series of the Coronets, the Blue, Brown (orange) and Black ones.

Another example (following your post on your Parker New Slimfolds a few days ago):

"And in late 1971 the New Slimfold was introduced, also made in the UK. It was re-designed much in the manner of the Parker "45", but shorter, 122 millimeters with the cap on, as compared to the Parker "45" which was 136 millimeters in lenght."

If you actually measure a New Slimfold you will find it's actually a fair bit longer then 122mm

I mean no disrespect to parkerpens.net - It is a fantastic reference site for all things Parker but it does have a few inaccuracies and certain sections could do with an overhaul to bring them up to date.

Incidentally I have 2 undated Parker 45 TX's - which would make them pre-1980! (Again I would guess that they were manufactured in 1979 prior to their release date of 1980)

Edited by Spikey Mike

It was certainly designed in the 70's!

Mitto, parkerpens.net is a fantastic reference site to start from but once you dig a little deeper you might find that it isn't infallible and there are errors. For example they state:

When in fact there are many examples of Parker 45 Coronet that can be firmly dated as being sold at least as early as 1967. (Insurance and registration documents that give the date of sale as well as the model). The 1970's actually saw the release of the second series of the Coronets, the Blue, Brown (orange) and Black ones.

Another example (following your post on your Parker New Slimfolds a few days ago):

If you actually measure a New Slimfold you will find it's actually a fair bit longer then 122mm

I mean no disrespect to parkerpens.net - It is a fantastic reference site for all things Parker but it does have a few inaccuracies and certain sections could do with an overhaul to bring them up to date.

Incidentally I have 2 undated Parker 45 TX's - which would make them pre-1980! (Again I would guess that they were manufactured in 1979 prior to their release date of 1980)

I appreciate your informative response and do agree with you on the point that every human endeavour is prone to human error/s and that none among us is infallible.

Thank you Spikey Mike.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

£200 - £300?

Not for an ordinary Harlequin surely? The grey circlets generally sell between £35 and £55 depending on condition, boxed etc on a regular basis on Ebay. A Grey Shield should only add a tenner to that price.

A Black Shield will set you back a bit more ... £60 to £100 ... ish

Red Shield ... I know there is one up for sale at the moment around the £300 mark - but that's a bit excessive and has been there a while. Take £100 off the price and that would be a bit more reasonable.

Black Circlets - I only know of 2 fountain pens in Black Circlet - both live in my collection - there must be more around but they are kind of rare.

Green and Blue Shields - well - these were not officially released as production pens although there are a (very) few around.

70s style? I believe the 45 style is 1960s. That identifiable shape. 60s.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.