Any Recommendations On A Good Blue-Purple/dark Purple Ink?

FinalEleven

Some swabs:

fpn_1433317289__compare-purple.jpg

Great colors.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FinalEleven

• amberleadavis

• Bklyn

• ENewton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is nice to see these ink colours compared, side by side.

I've been trying to find the closest conventional ink match to Scabiosa, an IG ink. There are a few possibilities shown here.

Thanks

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Some swabs:

fpn_1433317289__compare-purple.jpg

Is that some sheen I see in the Diamine Regency Blue? It almost looks like the gold particles in the new J. Herbin Bleu Ocean.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

You may want to consider De Atramentis Hyacinth. It is a wonderful dark violet-blue color with nice shading. It dries relatively quickly and is a smooth writer. It is not a wet ink, although I would not classify it as dry either.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

You may want to consider De Atramentis Hyacinth. It is a wonderful dark violet-blue color with nice shading. It dries relatively quickly and is a smooth writer. It is not a wet ink, although I would not classify it as dry either.

Hyacinth is a beautiful color, but I consider it to be more blue than violet or purple. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying it, though. Unless I am mistaken, there is no unscented equivalent to Hyacinth in the DA line, but the scent is so unobtrusive that I don't even notice it. A great ink!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm a big fan of Wahl Eversharp Everberry ink which is a blue tinged purple ink. Sample below created by Syd Saperstein, owner/CEO of Wahl Eversharp in a post on FPN prior to the introduction of this very well behaved ink. At the time, this was going to be his blue ink which he called Wahlberry. He eventually decided on a bluer ink but because of a very positive response to this color on the forum, he renamed it Everberry and it became the company's second signature ink.

post-36725-0-77469900-1433816733_thumb.jpg

If you are in Japan or near a Kingdom Note store, the Lidth's Jay ink is really a looker.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It is nice to see these ink colours compared, side by side.

I've been trying to find the closest conventional ink match to Scabiosa, an IG ink. There are a few possibilities shown here.

Thanks

I use Scabiosa on a daily basis, and the closest match I have found is a dilution of Diamine Grape. Scans make it appear that Kaweco Summer Purple is close to Scabiosa, but I don't own that ink, so I'm not sure.

I tried using scabiosa the other day, and maybe it was the pen I was using, but it just came out really light. Like...barely there. I'll probably try it on a pen with a wetter nib later on.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

I tried using scabiosa the other day, and maybe it was the pen I was using, but it just came out really light. Like...barely there. I'll probably try it on a pen with a wetter nib later on.

Also try a more absorbent paper. The variation that Scabiosa gives on different kinds of paper is really dramatic.

Also try a more absorbent paper. The variation that Scabiosa gives on different kinds of paper is really dramatic.

Yeah, i'll try that next. I was using it on Tomoe River Paper which is my everyday random writing paper

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

A lot of great purples, but I was wondering if you could tell me if any of these are a drier ink. I have the PR Ebony Purple and really like it, but it is such a wet ink, and I have a real fire-hose of a pen, a broad stub Parker 51, that I have to be careful what I put in it. The right ink and it is a dream, but when I tried Ebony Purple it was just a muddy mess (lost all sense of the stubbiness of the nib)

These are all great suggestions for different kinds, but from Lgsoltek's excellent color chart, I like the Diamine Pansy shade the best for what I'm looking for. But I'm willing to go to a different shade if the ink is dry enough. Even the MP Lavender looks good.

Thanks!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

There is some sheen when it's wet but I don't think it's really visible in writing. And doesn't look like Bleu océan at all.

For me its a black until in comparison with some real blacks. I am writing on copy papers anyway.

Andrew, add a tad bit of water to the Ebony purple. It will be a dryer and it will still be saturated.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Andrew, add a tad bit of water to the Ebony purple. It will be a dryer and it will still be saturated.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

A lot of great purples, but I was wondering if you could tell me if any of these are a drier ink. I have the PR Ebony Purple and really like it, but it is such a wet ink, and I have a real fire-hose of a pen, a broad stub Parker 51, that I have to be careful what I put in it. The right ink and it is a dream, but when I tried Ebony Purple it was just a muddy mess (lost all sense of the stubbiness of the nib)

These are all great suggestions for different kinds, but from Lgsoltek's excellent color chart, I like the Diamine Pansy shade the best for what I'm looking for. But I'm willing to go to a different shade if the ink is dry enough. Even the MP Lavender looks good.

Thanks!

If you try Pansy, bear in mind that it's not fade resistant and it stains.

+1 to AmberleaDavis suggestion...add a tad of water to your preferred color and it will dry it right up.

This is GREAT stuff. I LOVE ink!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g